shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these emeralds too mismatched for earrings?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was using one emerald for a different project but then the jeweler passed away :(. So I got the stone back and was wondering if you thought using it with this other one was too mismatched for stud earrings. Idk if they can be more forgiving since they are spaced apart and also will be set in gold prongs which may make them look more uniform. Just wondering what you thought. I taped them to my ears so not a perfect look haha.

B8F19EAC-F8DD-48CB-8212-73CEDAF41378.png 8FFA6BB5-982B-42CA-9632-D6C97DB59E81.png 38F351B8-0E77-4C30-8B68-2424B6866AE9.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Pretty emeralds but I vote no on the earrings. They are too mismatched and I see them covering your earlobes differently.
you can use them to make a pendant drop or moi et toi?

I would probably just try to find a match for one of them (the larger one) or sell and buy a matched pair...I have an amazing pair of emerald earrings that are bezeled and are lab. My mine cleanliness also wants a pair of naturals :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I looked at both ears / taped stones, and thought, hey, that looks really good!

Side by side I can clearly see a size difference, but since it is virtually impossible to see both ears/earrings at the same time, for me, if I wanted natural emerald earrings and were happy with the color/overall shape of these 2 stones (meaning you didn't really want more saturated color and/or a pear shape, for example), I'd go for it ... YMMV.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your creative mock-up with the tape!
No one will be able to see both earrings at the same time, as marymm said.
But you will know....and maybe it will bug you. Or not!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know?
Will it bug you when you look at them in jewelry box?
You really can’t see both when looking head on?
A guessed at mock-up with your ear shot pictures with estimated face space inbetween - tells me it’s a bit much of a difference with simple studs - IMO

but if the stones themselves give you good tingles feelings when you look at them - and you aren’t bothered by the difference - go for it.

Last edited:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be able to look the other way if it was shade variance but size difference… something about it to me just feels so wrong!

I’d never guess two individual earrings that were the same stone but different sizes, belonged as a “pair” of earrings.

Having said all that we do have the mismatched earrings thing in fashion right now…

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your head is in the middle then I think they will work well as earrings. In your "ear" photos, they look the same. It's only on close inspection on the other photo you posted you can see they're not. So go for it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had never been told they are not identical, and seen the side by side pic I would not have noticed.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I got these after setting my labs - I still wanted a pair of mined emeralds. The labs were 7x7 and the mined 6x4.

968DEF3F-2637-477F-B6A6-BF3259351CED.jpeg

Wow. They look so good after mounting. I can’t tell.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great ! Viva la difference! Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results