shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these diamonds OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bic

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This forum has been very helpful to me in my engagement ring search. I was hoping some of the experts could take a look at the following diamonds and let me know if they seem like good deals. The first two I saw first-hand, and did not see any inclusions with my naked eye, but I did see them through a 10x loupe after the dealer pointed them out. The third one I haven''t seen. All of the following information is from GIA certificates. Is there any other information I should be asking for?

1) Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.5 - 7.54 x 4.62 MM
Weight: 1.58 Carats
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Small
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VS1
Color: I
Fluorescence: None
Price: $10,270

2) Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.69 - 7.82 x 4.79 MM
Weight: 1.73 Carats
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: Very Small
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: SI1
Price: $9,342

3) Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.35 - 7.41 x 4.50 MM
Weight: 1.50 Carats
Depth: 61.0%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Very Small
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown. Surface graining is not shown.
Price: $8,100

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA certs do not allow to judge the cut all that well (some more number could help), but all that I do see is good. The experience you describe about inclusions sounds normal too. These should be eye clean, but a not so ten times magnified. However, these prices are by nomeans a bargain even for stones for which a cut grade is guaranteed (not the case here). While bargain-hunting is NOT my vocation, a simple search (see the engine of PS's firts page) reveals that your stones are in the medium-high price range, and that you could get RBCs with certified cuts for the same money or even less.

I don't know how you feel about doing a bit more search, but in this price range these should be better. If you are looking for what is called an 'ideal cut' (meaning a relatively impressive sparkle), then the stats provided for the stones say nothing about this... so there is no way to know at this point.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Bic: FYI, normally folks need a bit more information to help get a feel for the cut of the diamond -- namely crown/pavilion angles.

However, just in looking at what you've posted, I would automatically bypass stones #1 and #3 because the tables fall outside the parameters for an ideal cut stone. #2 could have potential, but for that money, I think the pol/sym could be better than just "good".

I'll take a peek and see if I can find some alternatives for you.

Bic

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help. A few more questions, if you don't mind.

How is the cut of a diamond certified, and who does this certification. Is this on a different report than the GIA?

Also, are crown/pavilion angles something the seller should be able to give me readily? (the guy is a wholesaler, friend of a friend type thing).

Lastly, can you alleviate my concern about making such a big purchase online, sight unseen?

Thanks!

Bic

Rough_Rock
Reading your post again, I see that you said a cut could be guaranteed, not certified. What is the nature of this guarantee?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would hands down take a purchase online, sight unseen if the quality of the information that the vendor was supplying me was top-notch. When you go into a B&M,or say you do business with your friend, you see the stones, you see the numbers on the GIA cert but you don't really know what they mean. You also don't see any sort of other reports, like a Sarin, or even an image like the IdealScope image which shows you what sort of light return the stone will send to your eyes. Online you can get the Cert information, the Sarin report (which comes with crown and pavilion angles), IdealScope images, and sometimes even BrillianceScope images which show you virtually how the diamond will perform when viewed at different angles etc.

I understand how it will be scary to think about purchasing online, but knowing what I know now, I don't think I would ever purchase another diamond offline without that same information! It's just too iffy. Your eyes do not really know what they see half the time. Ooh a diamond is sparkly. Well yes, clean diamonds will sparkle, even mostly those with bad cuts. But take them out of the jeweler lighting and put a little grease and dirt on them (everyday living!), and you will see that sparkle deteriorate quickly. However, well cut stones will still look amazing outside of the jeweler lighting and even with a little grubby dirt on them.

Anyway I digress. Yes I would feel confident purchasing online, but I would also say to use a vendor that will readily supply you with the information you want to make that educated decision. For me, more information is better information. I like seeing all the pictures, and the scope images etc. If I wanted to buy just using a cert and some angles, I'd buy offline. So if you do buy online, use the vendors who supply you with this extra information. You'll probably find that you get hooked on the pictures and the knowledge and come out with a diamond far superior than any of those 3 you posted.

To go back to your original question...Diamond #1 has some promise even though the table is a little out of range, I like that the symm and polish is much better than the other stones. Why settle for GD when you can have VG or EX? Symm is pretty important in a well cut stone. But you won't know more until you get the Sarin reports that show you the angles. Don't be afraid to ask your friend for the numbers. The prices he is quoting you are very good, but no one does a favor for nothing. Just shop smart and you won't get taken for a ride.

Good luck!

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
1.57, I, SI1, GIA, H&A ideal for $9442 ($9235 bank wire price)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_57ct_i_si1_h%26a.htm

this one looks killer!

bling

Shiny_Rock
ditto to the others advice.. stone #2 seems alittle out of round? good luck..
sick.gif
wacko.gif
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Bling is right.....Stone #2 is a bit out of round.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Al's made some great points. Just one thing I wanted to add...if any of the online vendors she recommended were not engaging in trustworthy transactions with their customers...it would be all over this forum in a heartbeat. It's relatively easy to tarnish someone's reputation on the internet.

The positive feedback that these vendors get far outweighs the negative. Just so you know, my fiance recently purchased my e-ring online through DCD, after a few months of saying he would rather purchase at a B&M. And I can honestly say that we've rarely been this satisfied with the outcome of a major purchase.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
...and just one more thing
1.gif

Get the stone independently appraised during the vendor's return window. We had the vendor ship the completed ring directly to our appraiser (Sarasota Gemlabs) who then sent it on to us. Easy, like Bob Guiney on "The Bachelor".
1.gif

An independent appraiser can serve as your eyes. If there's anything wrong with the ring/stone, you'll be the first to know, and as you're within your return window, you can safely get your money back or make an exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results