shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with bone china, fine crystal, and sterling silver?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm adding a closeup of grandmother's plate. It has gold detail within the plate. She has been gone since the early 90's, so it is older than that.
20200622_223551 (1).jpg

20200622_223607 (1).jpg

I think this is Imari porcelain ... its a match for this:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think this is Imari porcelain ... its a match for this:

Wow, thank you so much! I've wondered about that plate for years.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this set today for everyday use. I've always wanted a set with a rich gold rim but they've always ended up on display.

This one I really like but I'm not obsessed with it so it'll be great for normal use.

IMG_20200623_193939.jpg

Under-30 here, not just under-40! I find crystal, bone china and sterling absolutely stunning dependent on pattern (don’t like the fussy flowery patterns much, either plain or something more bold and geometric is my style). My mom has some stunning vintage sterling silver flatware though that she will give me as a wedding gift so very excited for that!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Not ‘final’ placement, but at least all the storage boxes are emptied now and I can enjoy looking at my mess during breakfast. I’m glad I decided not to sell my junk. Sometimes clutter is comforting.

F5C2BB2A-CBB4-4624-87D2-F0C0D6B46BF7.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not ‘final’ placement, but at least all the storage boxes are emptied now and I can enjoy looking at my mess during breakfast. I’m glad I decided not to sell my junk. Sometimes clutter is comforting.

Wedgwood? Spode? Do tell!!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wedgwood? Spode? Do tell!!!

Lol thanks! I’m just enjoying it so much right now. My taste isn’t sophisticated, and that’s just fine. We like what we like, right?

There’s Wedgwood Edme, both plain and ‘conwy’ floral medallion.
Meakin Westminster Sol in Arsenic Green (That one is in the V&A!)
Adams Calyxware, assorted patterns but my fave is the 2473 (which Replacements doesn’t even carry, bummer) and most of the collection is Adams really, including Ceres ironstone. The daily dishes in the kitchen cupboard not shown are Adams, plain Empress. Sturdy stuff. Slightly boring, though.

There’s some T&R Boote, and a few pieces of Brown/Westhead/Moore, which thrills me no end.
Lots of assorted random Wedgwood and Staffordshire and Worcester.
All thrifted.
Pennies.
I wield the Senior a Discount like a rapier sword.
“Come at me, bro“ as the kids say.
I’ll get that extra 20% of at checkout. Lol.

A few crystal rose bowls scattered because I have no place to put them, but they won’t stay mixed in very long. My crystal goblets for 12 are still in bubble wrap and I have one Georgian crystal pair of wine glass carafes in hiding too. Far too precious to risk setting out where the cats (and any passing human) can knock them about. Partner recently dropped and broke a large antique English platter so I’m a little prickly about these things at the moment. It comes from love. At least that’s what I tell myself as I mutter while sweeping up shards of circa 1850 earthenware. Hurmph.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Mid-twenties gal here! :wavey:

I love fine bone China but the idea of it being displayed in a cabinet....yeah that's a no for me.

I love beautiful dishes and cutlery but it will all be used and will either be in my kitchen cabinets or something cute and selectively displayed on my kitchen counter.

Seeing beautiful things collect dust drives me crazy....

& crystal I'm less obsessed about but my mother has many beautiful Waterford pieces that I will keep when she passes them on.

I love Sterling silver but it has to be kept polished and that's a task!
So I don't own much of it!

I think I'm quite odd in that most women my age don't even know about Sterling silver yet there I was.... 20 years old and hunting to purchase a fine silver antique rattle for my unborn daughter.

I also have a beautiful fine silver clam dish that I keep on my vanity by my perfume to hold jewelry while showering.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny about this. I’ve been cleaning and purging and figured out that dishwasher safe porcelain and bone china is actually the best thing for us to use. It’s beautiful, lightweight and doesn’t take up a lot space. I like them way more than the heavy bulky pieces that are common. Here are mine. Noritake summer gold. And if this younger generation is that big on conservation and reuse, they should just all use whatever is available, and free, for those that inherit.
D396F229-1E45-4382-A112-2D7D051C292C.jpeg 0F0D0B52-03D6-4A51-B0FB-B51365680E1D.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny about this. I’ve been cleaning and purging and figured out that dishwasher safe porcelain and bone china is actually the best thing for us to use. It’s beautiful, lightweight and doesn’t take up a lot space. I like them way more than the heavy bulky pieces that are common. Here are mine. Noritake summer gold. And if this younger generation is that big on conservation and reuse, they should just all use whatever is available, and free, for those that inherit.
D396F229-1E45-4382-A112-2D7D051C292C.jpeg 0F0D0B52-03D6-4A51-B0FB-B51365680E1D.jpeg

Don't you find the finer stuff just tastes (slides off the tounge?) better in the mouth .....im sure you know what i mean

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I really really like this
i want to bake and make a pot of tea (and i don't even like tea)

Yes to the tea! Lady Grey by Twinings is my favorite sachet. But there’s a huge packet of Bewley’s Irish tea loose leaf that one of my best friends brought back from Dublin for me, and it is very comforting. I had always used the Wedgwood teapot and this is the first time I’ve left it alone and used an Adams plain ironstone teapot instead.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! That hurts!
What a nice collection! I love the old dishes.
I have some Wedgwood Conway, too. Both with and without the medallion. We eat dinner on them regularly!
IMG_20200731_224405729.jpg

It is so beautiful!
Looks wonderful on top of anything green. Or red. Or blue. Well, you get the drift.

Now, I’m scouring the web for inexpensive Majolica-ish cabbage ware. I don’t need the expensive stuff, but I do need a few pieces of POP green!
9BA65D5B-74D8-4D6E-9449-848A56903D87.jpeg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Count me in as a collector!!! I am crazy about antique silver and adore bone china. We have gorgeous designs here. I usually blow my money on antique jewelry and diamonds for the most part but I have started a collection of bone china, little by little. Silver the same. Slowly getting there. I have things on my wishlist. First I had to have my dream home, now I will have all the time in the world to build a collection. Feels awesome!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband runs restaurants for a living, so all we are allowed to have is WHITE everything (Plates, Bowls, Mugs). It's so boring. :P2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I’m scouring the web for inexpensive Majolica-ish cabbage ware.

The last time I was in goodwill, I saw a large cabbage bowl similar to the plates you show. It was marked Portugal. 7.99 I think.......

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

Soo pretty I love this!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful!
Looks wonderful on top of anything green. Or red. Or blue. Well, you get the drift.

Now, I’m scouring the web for inexpensive Majolica-ish cabbage ware. I don’t need the expensive stuff, but I do need a few pieces of POP green!

I have those. My aunt bought them to coordinate with a set of haddon hall that she gave us when downsizing. The combination is sweet.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful!

Mine are Wedgwood; a beautiful shade of emerald green.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Dad tried to get one of us kids/grandkids to take his mother's dishes when she passed away. Nobody wants them :(2.
I dont find them attractive and would never use them. They dont hold any sentimental value to me either.
I think they are everyday dishes. Its this brand/style...
Capture.PNG

When my MIL downsized her belongings, my 14 year old DD took the china and sterling silver. The silverware is really nice. I'm not fond of the china but my DD likes it!

Franciscan Apple. One of their nicer standard dinnerware patterns, I think... if only because it wasn’t overdone, like the Desert Rose pattern. Franciscan was made not far from where I live, and the Desert Rose pattern in particular was very popular in thrift stores for many years after they ceased production.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I registered for china when I was 26; Wedgwood Grosgrain. I have service for 8 of that. When I was 37 (a few years ago) I inherited my grandmother's Royal Albert Old Country Roses, service for 12 plus the tea set and many other pieces. My aunt got her Noritake, can't remember the pattern name. I have my grandmother's cranberry glass pieces as well; stored at my parents' home because I don't have room for them where I live now. She loooooved pink, and she loved diamonds and jewelry. She definitely got me interested in all kinds of fabulous things from the time I was a little girl.

I have the silver-rimmed version of the Grosgrain pattern; the gold is featured on the show Gossip Girl.
wedgwood.jpg

royal albert.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I registered for china when I was 26; Wedgwood Grosgrain. I have service for 8 of that. When I was 37 (a few years ago) I inherited my grandmother's Royal Albert Old Country Roses, service for 12 plus the tea set and many other pieces. My aunt got her Noritake, can't remember the pattern name. I have my grandmother's cranberry glass pieces as well; stored at my parents' home because I don't have room for them where I live now. She loooooved pink, and she loved diamonds and jewelry. She definitely got me interested in all kinds of fabulous things from the time I was a little girl.

I have the silver-rimmed version of the Grosgrain pattern; the gold is featured on the show Gossip Girl.
wedgwood.jpg

royal albert.jpg

OCR was my Mothers first pattern! And she collected cranberry glass as well. I have some of the cranberry glass here, from her, in my home. I adore it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love Noritake. And it's so durable. I have a huge set full of everything and haven't broken or chipped one single one.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I find that I’m only really appreciating it now I’m in my 40’s? Not sure why. My mother collected the most lush dark blue and gold crockery from England. Very hard to get so my Uncle who was an antiques dealer would collect pieces for her and gift them to her for birthday and Christmas’s. Over the years it meant she got the salt and pepper shakers, gravy boat, and even a toast holder to go with it all. It lives in an old kitchen hutch my dad restored that is at my sisters in Brisbane.
We did use it because she was never one to have things that weren’t used and appreciated- I remember crying myself to sleep as a kid one night after I had dropped a plate on the kitchen floor - even though she had told me it was ok.
I still have her Crystal vases which I admire but resent cleaning.
The silver collections have gone due to no-one wanting to clean or care for them over time.
I do have a gold lined crockery set packed away at my in-laws because I know if we use it - it will die. I do use my Peter Rabbit Birthday plate from 1982 nearly everyday! Lol

I do think it will all come back. My daughter is 15 and an *old soul* like I am. We really appreciate that everything has a life and tells a story.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A very odd thing today
i went to the local hospice shop
We needed a hair dryer and we can't find what box Gary's hair dryer is in (i never ever use a hair dryer) for a tiny little DIY job that we thought the heat gun would be too hot for
OMG they had nothing really nice
i thought durring lockdown people we decluttering but they had no nice china or stemwear - and no hair dryer
I know they have a boutique style shop in the main street for nicer donations but i would have thought they would still have a few nice bits and pieces
they also didn't have a mortar and pestle
....not impressed

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm back!lol

Where did you get these plates from? I love them, esp the second blue one - it'd go very nicely with what I currently have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results