shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with bone china, fine crystal, and sterling silver?

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Really, so many? How many people do you cook for?

@voce For Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve I usually average 28 which includes my husband, kids, mom, siblings, nieces, nephews along with their spouses and kids. The guest count is closer to 35 if everyone attends and significant others attend. Other events vary.

I don’t usually cook for everyone. I use the assistance of my local restaurants and grocery stores. I usually prepare 1/2 the meal and I start preparing days in advance. I have no stress (well, maybe a little sometimes), I love to entertain.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, shall I bring them along for happy hour so we can enjoy our nibbles off of something pretty?!

Yes, but count them as I'm leaving quickly. :Up_to_something:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current (messy!) work setup - bogarted a potted plant table. Don’t like working in the office :))

69EC28A6-D504-4D46-ACC2-05CEFB335E47.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yssie, did our Dear Orange Führer pay you a visit with his Sharpie?

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 5.36.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Late to this thread, but as a younger millennial, I can only think of one friend that collects crystal/bone china.

In my case, I like the look, but it's not practical for my lifestyle. I tend to move a lot, either between apartments or countries, so that's always in the back of my head when I purchase things. As such, I prefer buying either small things, the bare minimum (e.g. bare minimum of cookware), or anything that's foldable/collapsable.

I'd definitely love to own some, but I just don't think the timing is right. That being said, my mom has a massive collection, so she'll probs hand down the bulk to me as the only girl in our family.

Q

Queenie60

Ok....Married in 1989. Have two sets of china, 16 place settings of each, sterling silver and Waterford Crystal. I have since collected Lenox Christmas China, 16 place settings and am the custodian of my MIL's wedding china which will go to my daughter (22) and she loves it. She has also received her Grandmother's sterling silver, 20 place settings with anything and everything you can think of as an accessory, and she loves it! I suppose it depends. I love my china and crystal and all of the pretty things that go with it. For everyday I use a Mikasa China.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current (messy!) work setup - bogarted a potted plant table. Don’t like working in the office :))

69EC28A6-D504-4D46-ACC2-05CEFB335E47.jpeg

WOT a sweetie catface asking: Mom what are you doing in my space??

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! My parents have hand-painted Wedgewood china in the pattern shown below, Stewart Crystal and real Silver cutlery set - it was used for special occasions only but I've always loved it and wanted my own. :love:

WW Florentine.jpg

I own a stunning Royal Doulton bone china set purchased when we got married and we used it sparingly for years until I think one day about 5 years ago I just decided to hell with it - let's use and enjoy it every day. I checked with the company and they told me despite the gold rim, it was dishwasher safe huzzah! (I also don't have kids so no risk there)

I've also collected a set of hefty lead crystal champagne glasses & little desert wine glasses from an Op shops and just recently a few crystal tumblers too. I'd love a set of silver cutlery too so I do keep an eye out at Antique stores but so far haven't found a set I really love (or can afford :shifty: ).

To be fair - I am the ONLY ONE amongst my friends who uses "finery" frequently. Most are knee-deep in nappies & toddlers and clearly it's just not practical....

Beautiful. My mom‘s Crystal was Stewart. Do you have a picture of your mom’s crystal? I have never heard of anyone else with Stewart crystal. Thank you.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I think a lot of millennials are interested in antiques and whatnot from a style, sustainability, and sentimental/historical perspective.

From my POV, millennials value practically and durability. For the most part, china is not dishwasher safe, crystal has lead, and silver requires polishing. Millennials also favor experiences and convenience, over material objects.

For our wedding registry, DH and I focused on All Clad pots and pans, high quality and dishwasher safe flatware, glassware, plates, etc.

I am not a millennial but I am 100% with you. I wish more people understood that bigger and more, more, more is not necessarily better.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few random photos I came across this morning. I think my taste in all things is consistent - classic, but streamlined. It comes across in both jewelry and in the way I set a table for entertaining. Well, I hope it does....

The cutlery is antique, the linen is French hand embroidered, the china is Osborne by Wedgwood, and the vase is Tiffany Lily of the Valley. I find this combo so incredibly soothing, visually.

The enormous wine glasses are interesting. They were a limited release by Royal Doulton about 18 years ago. They're individually hand blown, weigh a ton and, I believe, were the 'Winter' style in a collection they did representing the various seasons. It doesn't come out so clearly in these photos, but there are bubbles throughout the base, the stem, and the bottom of the glass, with the odd random bubble to be found climbing up the sides of the glass. I believe each glass holds a full bottle of wine. In real life, they're absolutely stunning.

20170219_085038_resized.jpg 20170219_085052_resized.jpg 20170219_085211_resized.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful table. Those placemats and napkins are just perfect!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
The iris and daffodils are stunning and you cannot be a linen placemat with lilies of the valley. Your China and flatware is beautiful too. It makes eating much more enjoyable and refined with a beautiful table!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, I'm copycatting your thread about perfume and wristwatches :tongue:...

Back in my day fine china, crystal, and sterling were must-haves, at least for those at a certain income level.

Seems like today's millennial siblings are no longer fighting over who gets to inherit grandma's hutch-full of family treasures.
What happened?

That's OK, copy away! Not sure how I didn't see this thread before!

Maybe it depends on the quality, design, and wear of the given item. An Art Deco-style silver mirror in good shape would probably be differently received than some cracked flowered china. Also, millennials might be more interested in their family items as they get older. When you're young, and invincible, you don't think about your family history as much. You think about it more as you, and they, age, and they die off. At least, that was the case for me.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer the question, when I got married, I was 30, and we registered for a set of Wedgwood china, which we did use quite a bit for guests, and a set of crystal wineglasses and matching tumblers. I don't have silver knives, forks, or spoons, though. I already had a really nice Oneida stainless set. I still use the china and crystal if I have friends over. They are both a modern design. In fact, the glasses are black crystal with a clear crystal border around the upper edge. I think they might be Royal Doulton.

So yeah, I like crystal and china as long as it's not a fuddy-duddy design, but having said that, I'm not under 40 any longer!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! My parents have hand-painted Wedgewood china in the pattern shown below, Stewart Crystal and real Silver cutlery set - it was used for special occasions only but I've always loved it and wanted my own. :love:

WW Florentine.jpg

I own a stunning Royal Doulton bone china set purchased when we got married and we used it sparingly for years until I think one day about 5 years ago I just decided to hell with it - let's use and enjoy it every day. I checked with the company and they told me despite the gold rim, it was dishwasher safe huzzah! (I also don't have kids so no risk there)

I've also collected a set of hefty lead crystal champagne glasses & little desert wine glasses from an Op shops and just recently a few crystal tumblers too. I'd love a set of silver cutlery too so I do keep an eye out at Antique stores but so far haven't found a set I really love (or can afford :shifty: ).

To be fair - I am the ONLY ONE amongst my friends who uses "finery" frequently. Most are knee-deep in nappies & toddlers and clearly it's just not practical....

Wow! That's a gorgeous set!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is definitely a satisfying task! When I was shopping in Savannah with my best friend a few years ago I found what they called a "Moroccan tea tray" in a jewelry store covered with tarnish. It was a great price, and I thought it had potential so I bought it. Once I had polished it up and showed it to my friend she could not believe how gorgeous and transformed it was.

I also like polishing silver! I don't have silver homewares, but I do have lots of silver jewelry. It's SO satisfying to polish it up, Hours of fun, lol!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I have probably a dozen patterns, all antique, all English (Wedgwood, Booth’s, Adams, Meakin, TR Boote, tc), services for 8-12 each, plus an entire armoire full of antique Ironstone.

I love all of them. It’s sad but all of it is currently packed away, because partner doesn’t like any of it. I’ll soon use it again. Just a matter of time.

My greatest China score of all time (to date) is a massive and unique TC Brown Westhead Moore ‘blackberry & bird‘ basin, dated 10 November 1873. Export stamp on the bottom. Found it at goodwill marked $20 and got both a 50% off price, plus a senior discount, and then I asked for more off because it “has ink Smeared all over it”. It was $6 by the time I left - the “blue ink” is part of the design and is embedded in the clay, but the manager wasn’t an expert on fine China, let’s just say. Sorry not sorry.

CA0FD778-6B86-438D-946F-F6B95FDFD19C.jpeg C3B2843F-BADC-4618-A023-1A0991D9DE8A.jpeg 28A50DC7-5AFD-4C04-8C3B-E91867A791CE.jpeg
Edited to add, I don’t think *all* millennials are done with China Crystal and Silver, but the ones I know cant afford to be so domestic that they get attached to heavy material objects. Not many of my young friends can plan long term because the job market and student debt influences their decisions - negatively.

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
32yo here. Fine bone china, sterling silver, and fine crystal? Well 50/50 on this one. I can’t be bothered with fine crystal because it breaks in the dishwasher. I’ve got sterling silver cutlery, and serveware inherited from my grandmother who was a gracious hostess but can’t be bothered to take them out of storage because I don’t have the time of day to polish silver. Also got sterling silver accented with 24k gold Korean chopsticks and spoons inherited from my dad. Don’t use them either. I’m one though to appreciate fine bone chine. Bought Rosenthal x Versace for my best cousin/friend and his wife last Christmas. Was seriously considering Royal Doulton for myself but ultimately decided to put of the purchase for another day.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not under forty... but can I play anyway?!

I can't find a picture of my grandmother's dishes pattern; the plates are white with a fine metal rim (my grandmother used to say "platinum" but who knows what it really is) and itsy bitsy flowers. However on the Wedgwood site I DID find the salad plates and the tray below... which I fell instantly in love with and... uhhhhhh... MAY have just ordered...

1586350928427.png

I have seen this very Wedgwood set in Macy's and I LOVE IT!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always loved this pattern, Wedgwood India. I don't have any, but I always love seeing it. They used to do something very similar in red and gold, too.

Wedgwoood India.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pattern was also a favorite of mine. (I used to work in a department store when young.)

Royal Worcester.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Serious follow-up question/request for design help. Everybody else has such beautiful taste.

I’ve unboxed a few English patterns (not the ironstone, that’s all still boxed up) and I’m filling back up my china hutch in the kitchen/dining nook. I’ve missed the colors!

I prefer a rather haphazard stack-style rather than formal symmetry of plates, but I have forgotten how to do this. Can anyone give me some pointers? Google is utterly unhelpful oddly enough. Where do I go to learn how to decorate a china hutch, when I have completely forgotten how?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Serious follow-up question/request for design help. Everybody else has such beautiful taste.

I’ve unboxed a few English patterns (not the ironstone, that’s all still boxed up) and I’m filling back up my china hutch in the kitchen/dining nook. I’ve missed the colors!

I prefer a rather haphazard stack-style rather than formal symmetry of plates, but I have forgotten how to do this. Can anyone give me some pointers? Google is utterly unhelpful oddly enough. Where do I go to learn how to decorate a china hutch, when I have completely forgotten how?

I envy you your new hutch
i see what you mean about google
you might just have to do the hard yards and trawl through Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/cehakes/china-cabinet-ideas/

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is a fun one! I used to work in the bridal registry of the second largest Macy's in the country (second only to Herald Square). I worked there from 2005-2009. At that point most brides were still registering for china and crystal stemware but VERY rarely actual silver. When one place setting is 400-600 it just doesn't happen often. They would register for "fine stainless" instead. I think my whole time there I sold two full sets, only because the Grandmother of the bride would come in insisting and order the whole set at once for the best price.

One of the things people don't realize about actual "bone china" is that it's actually the strongest dinnerware material (beyond stainless) that you can get. We used to demonstrate by flipping a tea cup upside down and standing on it (and I am NOT a small girl). We would sell it as "use the good china".

Things changed towards the end with the huge crash in 2008, people got a lot more practical. What ended up happening was we saw more people invest in a higher quality "daily" set that could also serve for a more formal meal vs. a cheaper daily set and then china. I think it mostly has to do with kitchen storage. Many in my age group haven't bought houses and we just don't have the room for two sets! I do have china but only for 8, I knew I would NEVER have more people at my house at once and if I did I would buy a second set and mix and match (which I like better anyway). Phew!

Bone china is insanely durable. I second that! Too bad it always has that gold rim that requires hand washing. We used china (growing up) from the 1940's that belonged to my Grandmother. It's buried downstairs and well worn, but it held up very well.

I can't tell you how much it delighted me to see you have white Corelle, also! :lol: We have a shared beach place with friends and I bought a set for there, also! It's just so trouble free and light to load and unload and stack! But the real reason I am replying is that I have used Duralex Picardie for YEARS!!! I'd never use anything else for daily glassware. It's the best!

For anyone who is not familiar, Duralex is a French brand, and the glass is a stronger than normal glass and is more resistant to breaking. I have dropped on my hardwood floor and it didn't break, but it will break if it falls on a harder surface, of course. I think I have broken one in the many years I have had it. Picardie is a classic style used in restaurants and bars in Europe (maybe mostly France?). Williams-Sonoma used to carry it, and I ordered sets from Amazon.

Like you, when I entertain (which is not often), it is ALWAYS casual. So the Corelle or even plastic plates is what would most likely be used. I am beginning to think I need to save one piece in each pattern just to look at and sell all the rest! :lol:

HA, we had white Corelle too! Actually hubby and I both had it and when we moved in together in 2013, we were rolling in Corelle. I finally just got sick of it and put it down in my son's kitchen. We bought more contemporary square porcelain.

That plate is heavenly!

I sort of stack my things around. I have Mikasa Cameo as a china pattern. Oh, and my grandmother's serving plate which I love. I don't know a thing about it. I also have a fondness for Nippon china and have a couple of treasured pieces.

20200622_215054.jpg

I'm adding a closeup of grandmother's plate. It has gold detail within the plate. She has been
gone since the early 90's, so it is older than that.
20200622_223551 (1).jpg

20200622_223607 (1).jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have probably a dozen patterns, all antique, all English (Wedgwood, Booth’s, Adams, Meakin, TR Boote, tc), services for 8-12 each, plus an entire armoire full of antique Ironstone.

I love all of them. It’s sad but all of it is currently packed away, because partner doesn’t like any of it. I’ll soon use it again. Just a matter of time.

My greatest China score of all time (to date) is a massive and unique TC Brown Westhead Moore ‘blackberry & bird‘ basin, dated 10 November 1873. Export stamp on the bottom. Found it at goodwill marked $20 and got both a 50% off price, plus a senior discount, and then I asked for more off because it “has ink Smeared all over it”. It was $6 by the time I left - the “blue ink” is part of the design and is embedded in the clay, but the manager wasn’t an expert on fine China, let’s just say. Sorry not sorry.

CA0FD778-6B86-438D-946F-F6B95FDFD19C.jpeg C3B2843F-BADC-4618-A023-1A0991D9DE8A.jpeg 28A50DC7-5AFD-4C04-8C3B-E91867A791CE.jpeg
Edited to add, I don’t think *all* millennials are done with China Crystal and Silver, but the ones I know cant afford to be so domestic that they get attached to heavy material objects. Not many of my young friends can plan long term because the job market and student debt influences their decisions - negatively.
This is stunning. What a find!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results