shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with bone china, fine crystal, and sterling silver?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I am so glad you posted, and thank you for posting some pictures of your lovely pieces! You inspired me to take a few, as well!

My cabinet was delivered. We are still unpacking and getting sorted. We moved in on 3/16. I really am pleased with it!

IMG_20200410_153416.jpg IMG_20200410_153454.jpg IMG_20200410_153503.jpg

This is a gorgeous piece!! It's not ordinary walnut, either. I am not sure that it is burl, and I don't know all the kinds, but it is beautiful wood and I'd have a heart attack if someone covered that up! My daughter just redid an old oak blanket chest and did use white stain on it. That was a piece that was improved! lol! Did you paint the walls behind the china cabinet? If so, what is the color? I love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I took a few pics, none of which are really good (my usual disclaimer)! But I love seeing everyone's pictures so I thought I'd post a few.

This is my mother's Lenox Belvidere (70 years old). Just posting a bread and butter plate and demitasse cup and saucer because those were the easiest to access. The dinner size cup and saucer are much prettier. All of her set is in upper cabinets in zipper cases, so not easy for me to take out. The demitasse spoon is from my set, Gorham Melrose. It's floral and goes better with her set than mine.

LenoxBelvidere1.jpg

Next is a pic inside my china cabinet. Not good lighting so colors don't show well on the china which is Henley by Minton, but you can see some of the Waterford crystal. My daughter says she wants this china, but I no longer love it (if my 21 year old self ever did) so would get rid of it if she changes her mind.

MintonHenley.WaterfordLismore.jpg

Now to the more casual china. First is Villeroy and Boch French Garden. My mother had some first and I loved it and bought some for myself! I would be using this for Easter if we had been able to have a family dinner as I love it for spring and summer. It has lots of pretty shaped pieces.

Villeroy&BochFrenchGarden.jpg

Now just a shot in the cabinet of my set of French handpainted pottery, Quimper Soliel yellow. Plates are octagonal and it has different designs on different pieces.

QuimperSolielyellow.jpg

Here's a picture I had of a place setting of the Ricci Impero stainless.

RicciImpero.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@diamondseeker2006 lovely photos! My Mom has that Villeroy/B set (among 5 others lol) because she loved lemons so much! Such a happy pattern. I have some Villeroy/B Design 1900 and simply adore the ladies!

We watched a Netflix show the other night and I was surprised to see my everyday Portmeirion Botanical Garden on one characters kitchen table! I adore this set--love the flowers! As well, my Royal Worcester Evesham is my other favorite. I love fruit and flowers on my table!

And I'll never take a photo of my cabinet--too much dust!!!! :)

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious as to what a modern one looks like. I can’t see myself getting one because China cabinets make me think of Lladro and Precious Moments figurines mixed in with late night tv collectible plates.

I have an Italian marble and teak coffee table that I cracked in half as soon as I got it because I thought I could carry it myself. Put to back together with epoxy and now it has “character.”

How the heck could we both have cracked marble tables? LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like ultra thin rings with melee diamonds on 3 sides, I don't consider marble to be a suitable material for tables.

Just because someone makes it ...

Of course sellers don't tell you this.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like ultra thin rings with melee diamonds on 3 sides, I don't consider marble to be a suitable material for tables.

Just because someone makes it ...

Of course sellers don't tell you this.

Oh no. It is imminently suitable. Any natural material can crack. I (just) should have stopped poll dancing on it 5 years earlier.

Thanks for starting this thread Kenny. It is fun!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@diamondseeker2006 lovely photos! My Mom has that Villeroy/B set (among 5 others lol) because she loved lemons so much! Such a happy pattern. I have some Villeroy/B Design 1900 and simply adore the ladies!

We watched a Netflix show the other night and I was surprised to see my everyday Portmeirion Botanical Garden on one characters kitchen table! I adore this set--love the flowers! As well, my Royal Worcester Evesham is my other favorite. I love fruit and flowers on my table!

And I'll never take a photo of my cabinet--too much dust!!!! :)

cheers--Sharon

Haha! Too funny! My mother had this and another V&B pattern and I actually bought both after she did! My sister has Portmerion Botanic Garden...I love it, too, but restrained myself from buying it after she got it! :lol: I agree with fruit and flowers...classic and pretty to look at!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! Too funny! My mother had this and another V&B pattern and I actually bought both after she did! My sister has Portmerion Botanic Garden...I love it, too, but restrained myself from buying it after she got it! :lol: I agree with fruit and flowers...classic and pretty to look at!

Why am I not surprised. :mrgreen2: You know what they say about great minds...….:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. It is imminently suitable. Any natural material can crack. I (just) should have stopped poll dancing on it 5 years earlier.

Thanks for starting this thread Kenny. It is fun!

cheers--Sharon

LOL

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my pride and joy display cups!!!!

The others we use every day. It's really nice to pick out a nice cup at night.

Look at the green one!!!! Those of you who know me from the coloured stones thread will know how much I love green.

IMG_20200411_145129.jpg IMG_20200411_145100.jpg IMG_20200411_145037.jpg

Last edited:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
My 28 year old is getting married this summer and not registering for china or crystal. I have not seen fine dinnerware on a wedding registry since maybe the mid 90's.

I do have 2 friends (40-ish) that did not originally register for fine china when they were married, but they both have been collecting antique or vintage pieces for years. In February one of them had a tea party for her 41st birthday and used all her items. We each had a beautifully mix-matched set of china and silverware/flatware, had our very own teapot, and pink water/wine glasses (upon research found to be 1980’s Rosaline). I have been on the hunt for pink depression stemware ever since.
IMG_5703.jpeg

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

I am in the over 50 age-group. I registered for china (Noritake but cannot recall the pattern), crystal (Mikasa English Garden) and silverplate flatware (Oneida Affection) in 1990 with my first marriage at the insistence of my mother-in-law. I received the full service for 12 of everything. I returned the new in box china after 5 years to Macy’s. Then, gave the felt lined oak box full of silverplate flatware to a friend about 8 years ago. I loved the crystal but did not want to spend the money to purchase the full sets of what I wanted, then be afraid to use, so I sold on eBay last year.

Now, I have plain white Corelle (like @diamondseeker2006), Duralex Picardie glasses, banquet quality crystal and Oneida Camber/Scroll stainless flatware. Very simple, but enough for a large party and durable for everyday use. I was going to post photos, but they were too plain. I also have a service for 12 of Mikasa Platinum Wedding Band china which never gets used. Over the years, I have purchased different sets of china and crystal, but never loved any enough to fulfill a full set. I have the need for a service for 30 (preferably 40).

I love all seeing all the crystal and china patterns everyone is posting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cabinet was delivered. We are still unpacking and getting sorted. We moved in on 3/16. I really am pleased with it!

IMG_20200410_153416.jpg IMG_20200410_153454.jpg IMG_20200410_153503.jpg

My god that’s handsome.

I’m with you on leaving wood alone. Nature creates patterns that no human ever could - that’s something to be cherished.
Stain is great, paint will date.

We’re looking for bedroom furniture. I will definitely be reaching out to your vendor.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

collier

Shiny_Rock
I love sterling silver tea sets .... maybe one day (wistful sigh)

Do you mean pot and sugar/creamer or a cup and saucer?

I have an absolutely stunning sterling and gold wash tea cup and saucer. As Kenny said just because it is made doesn't mean it is a good idea. If you pour in hot tea or coffee the metal gets so hot that you burn your mouth and fingers. By the time it is cool enough to touch your beverage is too cold to enjoy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 28 year old is getting married this summer and not registering for china or crystal. I have not seen fine dinnerware on a wedding registry since maybe the mid 90's.

I do have 2 friends (40-ish) that did not originally register for fine china when they were married, but they both have been collecting antique or vintage pieces for years. In February one of them had a tea party for her 41st birthday and used all her items. We each had a beautifully mix-matched set of china and silverware/flatware, had our very own teapot, and pink water/wine glasses (upon research found to be 1980’s Rosaline). I have been on the hunt for pink depression stemware ever since.
IMG_5703.jpeg

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5721.jpeg

I am in the over 50 age-group. I registered for china (Noritake but cannot recall the pattern), crystal (Mikasa English Garden) and silverplate flatware (Oneida Affection) in 1990 with my first marriage at the insistence of my mother-in-law. I received the full service for 12 of everything. I returned the new in box china after 5 years to Macy’s. Then, gave the felt lined oak box full of silverplate flatware to a friend about 8 years ago. I loved the crystal but did not want to spend the money to purchase the full sets of what I wanted, then be afraid to use, so I sold on eBay last year.

Now, I have plain white Corelle (like @diamondseeker2006), Duralex Picardie glasses, banquet quality crystal and Oneida Camber/Scroll stainless flatware. Very simple, but enough for a large party and durable for everyday use. I was going to post photos, but they were too plain. I also have a service for 12 of Mikasa Platinum Wedding Band china which never gets used. Over the years, I have purchased different sets of china and crystal, but never loved any enough to fulfill a full set. I have the need for a service for 30 (preferably 40).

I love all seeing all the crystal and china patterns everyone is posting.

I can't tell you how much it delighted me to see you have white Corelle, also! :lol: We have a shared beach place with friends and I bought a set for there, also! It's just so trouble free and light to load and unload and stack! But the real reason I am replying is that I have used Duralex Picardie for YEARS!!! I'd never use anything else for daily glassware. It's the best!

For anyone who is not familiar, Duralex is a French brand, and the glass is a stronger than normal glass and is more resistant to breaking. I have dropped on my hardwood floor and it didn't break, but it will break if it falls on a harder surface, of course. I think I have broken one in the many years I have had it. Picardie is a classic style used in restaurants and bars in Europe (maybe mostly France?). Williams-Sonoma used to carry it, and I ordered sets from Amazon.

Like you, when I entertain (which is not often), it is ALWAYS casual. So the Corelle or even plastic plates is what would most likely be used. I am beginning to think I need to save one piece in each pattern just to look at and sell all the rest! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love sterling silver tea sets .... maybe one day (wistful sigh)

Alas, I naturally had to have one of those, too, being a southern belle. :roll: It used to sit in the same china cabinet above. But after having it for like 25 years and never using it, I sold it the last time silver went up to $40 an ounce. Zero regrets.

@collier Those generally are a sterling coffee pot, teapot, sugar, and creamer. Mine had a matching tray but it was very heavy and silverplate.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I can't tell you how much it delighted me to see you have white Corelle, also! :lol: We have a shared beach place with friends and I bought a set for there, also! It's just so trouble free and light to load and unload and stack! But the real reason I am replying is that I have used Duralex Picardie for YEARS!!! I'd never use anything else for daily glassware. It's the best!

For anyone who is not familiar, Duralex is a French brand, and the glass is a stronger than normal glass and is more resistant to breaking. I have dropped on my hardwood floor and it didn't break, but it will break if it falls on a harder surface, of course. I think I have broken one in the many years I have had it. Picardie is a classic style used in restaurants and bars in Europe (maybe mostly France?). Williams-Sonoma used to carry it, and I ordered sets from Amazon.

Like you, when I entertain (which is not often), it is ALWAYS casual. So the Corelle or even plastic plates is what would most likely be used. I am beginning to think I need to save one piece in each pattern just to look at and sell all the rest! :lol:

@diamondseeker2006 I have only broken one Duralex glass as well in my many years of having them. I have the 17 & 10 oz sizes. I also love that they are stackable. We had Corelle growing up so it was normal for me to get it when I moved out on my own. I entertain a lot and was not happy with the quantity of paper plates I was going through, so just kept adding to my Corelle set. My entertaining is more on the casual side but I do make it look nice with cloth table linens and centerpieces. This thread along with the happy hour thread made me want china and crystal. Luckily I came to my senses and just ordered more white Corelle. Although, a few stems of pink depression items would be fun.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is so bad for me lol. We ran out of paper plates and paper towels awhile back. So we have been using my mom's um.. (ugly) picnic style red and white napkins at meals and for drying dishes. I told my husband I wanted some new dishes and some new linen napkins whenever he gets his next big boy job.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now to the more casual china. First is Villeroy and Boch French Garden. My mother had some first and I loved it and bought some for myself! I would be using this for Easter if we had been able to have a family dinner as I love it for spring and summer. It has lots of pretty shaped pieces.

Villeroy&BochFrenchGarden.jpg

I've always loved this! I bought a set of salad plates for my best girlfriend for Christmas and intend to add to the set over the years.

Lovely pieces, DS! <3

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am just loving this thread. So many beautiful patterns.

I bought myself 16 place settings of villeroy and Boch petite fleur, Wallace lotus stainless and cheap Lenox stemware when I moved into the big city. Wanted something nice enough to set a table, good for everyday, and not so delicate that I couldn’t move it around as needed. my mother bought service for 24 of royal danish sterling...12 for my brother and 12 for me. When he got engaged, fiancé informed him that she didn’t like it.....so that meant 24 for me (a bit much, but who am I to say no?).

Fast forward, I get engaged, and fiance’s Aunt is moving from the big house in the suburbs into the city...she generously gifts us two complete sets of baccarat stemware and a full set of Minton China. I was speechless.

Five or six years later, she moves to Florida permanently. Full set of christofle stainless...only three place setting were used and a full set of raynaud ceralene louviers. We have filled in a few serving pieces and added to the christofle.....and we use it frequently. Our aunt is a wise woman....very expensive taste, but nothing (with the exception of the baccarat) that doesn’t go into the dishwasher.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought myself 16 place settings of villeroy and Boch petite fleur, Wallace lotus stainless and cheap Lenox stemware when I moved into the big city. Wanted something nice enough to set a table, good for everyday, and not so delicate that I couldn’t move it around as needed. my mother bought service for 24 of royal danish sterling...12 for my brother and 12 for me. When he got engaged, fiancé informed him that she didn’t like it.....so that meant 24 for me (a bit much, but who am I to say no?).

Fast forward, I get engaged, and fiance’s Aunt is moving from the big house in the suburbs into the city...she generously gifts us two complete sets of baccarat stemware and a full set of Minton China. I was speechless.

Five or six years later, she moves to Florida permanently. Full set of christofle stainless...only three place setting were used and a full set of raynaud ceralene louviers. We have filled in a few serving pieces and added to the christofle.....and we use it frequently. Our aunt is a wise woman....very expensive taste, but nothing (with the exception of the baccarat) that doesn’t go into the dishwasher.

My sister-in-law has Petite Fleur! Please take a few pics of some of these if you can! It's wonderful you and your husband appreciated and were able to use some of his aunt's sets!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah. Yes. Sense and sensibility! CHEERS!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have the need for a service for 30 (preferably 40).

Really, so many? How many people do you cook for?

A few years ago, I lived in a co-op house where everyone took a turn at kitchen and cleaning duties. I have never gotten so sore in the kitchen as when I made 100 taiyaki from the red bean paste to the dough to cooking them over the stove two at a time in the taiyaki pan. I loved the people but honestly cooking for 30-50 at a time was stressful, and if I were to entertain that many myself, I'd rather shell out money and treat my guests at a restaurant, than feel super duper stressed in the kitchen fretting over anything/everything that goes wrong.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not under forty... but can I play anyway?!

When I was little my grandmother had 24 settings of Waterford china "that would be mine some day." I used to think it was crazy -- 24 people wouldn't have fit in that tiny ranch house if you stacked them like logs! -- but there it sat, in the built in china cabinet, coming out only for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. When she passed it all got packed up and now sits in my brother's basement. I've been planning on getting though for a few years, and I'm going to USE it! Why not?!

Never thought much about silver. If i came across a set I liked at a yard sale I'd absolutely buy it and use it, but I just never think of it. TR sells things on ebay and he on very rare occasion will pick up a set if he can see that it has salable value, but it's very few and far between just because no one really wants it any more.

As you can tell from the Daily Happy Hour thread, vintage stemware is my weakness! My best friend from law school and his partner bought me a few pretty depression glasses over 25 years ago and that started the collection. Now I've got HUNDREDS... pink, green, blue, purple, yellow and of course clear. The oldest ones I have are well over a hundred years, and of course I'd be sad if they (or any) were broken, but I think they are beautiful and meant to be used. Some are expensive (I think the most I've paid for a single glass was $90), but a lot of them are dirt cheap -- like 25 or 50 cents, or a buck at garage sales. They often pop up a the Salvation Army too. My favorite pinks I got 7 for $10 at a sale on the side of the road at the bottom of a box of old coffee mugs. I actually squealed out loud when I found those!

I can't find a picture of my grandmother's dishes pattern; the plates are white with a fine metal rim (my grandmother used to say "platinum" but who knows what it really is) and itsy bitsy flowers. However on the Wedgwood site I DID find the salad plates and the tray below... which I fell instantly in love with and... uhhhhhh... MAY have just ordered...

1586350928427.png
1586350879252.png

Oh wow those plates are gorgeous! Would you mind providing a link or a name? I just had a quick look and I could spot them on the wedgewood site...

Im a millennial and I love all the finer things including dishware place settings and silver :)

Too bad my family members decluttered most of it before I got old enough to need my own! I do have some adorable tea cups though.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow those plates are gorgeous! Would you mind providing a link or a name? I just had a quick look and I could spot them on the wedgewood site...

Im a millennial and I love all the finer things including dishware place settings and silver :)

Too bad my family members decluttered most of it before I got old enough to need my own! I do have some adorable tea cups though.

How sad....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really beautiful plates. :kiss2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearaffair, I think you're in Canada (?). If you've got a Bed, Bath and Beyond store you can order them through there and they generally have a 20% off coupon (which is not insignificant given the price of these). Just an idea.

Kenny, shall I bring them along for happy hour so we can enjoy our nibbles off of something pretty?!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really, so many? How many people do you cook for?

A few years ago, I lived in a co-op house where everyone took a turn at kitchen and cleaning duties. I have never gotten so sore in the kitchen as when I made 100 taiyaki from the red bean paste to the dough to cooking them over the stove two at a time in the taiyaki pan. I loved the people but honestly cooking for 30-50 at a time was stressful, and if I were to entertain that many myself, I'd rather shell out money and treat my guests at a restaurant, than feel super duper stressed in the kitchen fretting over anything/everything that goes wrong.

I never knew people had such big place setting until this thread
Mum had a 12 piece dinner set
But i think id be rushed off my feet cooking for 6 !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results