carat
color
clarity

Are the earrings made of solid platinum? Pls help! Thanks

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

I just won the auction on Ebay eBay item number:251393929931

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-950-Platinum-Oak-Leaf-Earrings-For-Pierced-Ears-/251393929931?autorefresh=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=OiaVQ9Vx9mZX89aePjWftWlIrJs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now I am confused :twirl: . The seller states that the earrings are made of solid 950 platinum. However, I found information online that sterling silver from Mexico also has a 950 hallmark. What do you think: they are made of real platinum or silver? They look a little bit tarnished to me but platinum never tarnishes. I'll appreciate any answer/help. Thank you ;-)

plat_2.jpg

plat_4.jpg

plat_1.jpg

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Are the earrings made of solid platinum? Pls help! Thank

Hi,
The first pic you posted (back of the earrings) shows tarnish. Platinum gets a grey patina, but does not tarnish.
Also, when hallmarking platinum there will always be some variation of the word "platinum" along with the percentage (900, 950) not just a number stamped in. I think here in the US a stamp of the full word "platinum" or the abbreviation "PLAT" is reserved for an alloy mix of at least 95% platinum. When you see 900 it usually is coupled with the platinum designation by the letters "Pt". I have seen older vintage pieces stamped 900 Plat 10 iridium (with the "p-l-a-t" used), so the hallmarking rules probably changed at some point to what they are now.

The earrings look to be silver (by the tarnish and lack of any platinum stamp). The seller may not fully know about assay marks. The earrings do look pretty though.
I hope this helps.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your explanation . I have a few platinum rings. They never tarnish but they get scratched a little bit. That is why I was confused.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They do not look like platinum to me due to the presence of a yellow tint and marks of tarnish typical of silver jewellery.

At that price, it would be too good to be true a bargain if they were indeed platinum, as they would cost more just as scrap!

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results