shape
carat
color
clarity

are spinels good everyday stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChattyCat

Rough_Rock
I''m thinking about one of Richard Homer''s and having Leon Mege set it in a Capuchonne setting for a pretend engagement ring, and then getting a matching micropave band from Leon.

I was originally looking at sapphires, but I can''t seem to find exactly what i want, and I thought a spinel might fit the bill. Thoughts?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Spinel is an 8 on the Moh - sapphire is a 9 - so not as hard wearing as a sapphire would be.

I have a tsavorite which is a 7.5 and intend to wear it everyday - but I don''t wear it for sleeping, showering, cooking or anything where I use my hands for ''dangerous'' activities.

I presume 10 years down the line, I might need to have a repolish - but I was prepared for that when I chose it.

Spinels are gorgeous though - I am coverting a red one at the moment. Problem is I don''t wear RHR''s and it seems a waste to put things in pendants where ''I'' won''t see them. Most of my jewellery just sits in boxes as it''s not very wearable (inherited pieces and weird things my dad bought me) and I sit there like Golom with my preciouses...

Is the ''fake'' e-ring as a replacement for your e-ring or a seperate ring as well as replacing your e-ring?

Leon should be able to source you some fab stones - try Wink Jones as well.

ChattyCat

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 11:13:44 PM
Author: Pandora II
Is the ''fake'' e-ring as a replacement for your e-ring or a seperate ring as well as replacing your e-ring?

Leon should be able to source you some fab stones - try Wink Jones as well.
For now, it will be a replacement for my e-ring. I''m not really wanting to spend our entire insurance settlement on a new ring at this time. Right now, I''m thinking about a gorgeous setting from Leon, and a cheaper (yet, still pretty) stone. I figure 10 years from now, I can always replace the colored stone with a diamond.

I love this sapphire from Richard http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5057 , but I''d prefer something larger. The diamond I had was about a 9x6 mm oval. I think it might feel kind of weird to have a smaller stone on my finger. So, then I saw http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=11014 and thought that it might work really well. Kind of a place holder until it can be replaced with a new diamond. And quite pretty in it''s own right!

The email from Leon said he''d look for some sapphires for me to see whether he can come up with one that I like. Honestly, I see tons of them that I like over at NSC, but I just love the way Richard Homer cuts the stones. His cutting is so beautiful, that I''m thinking I''d rather have something cut by him than anyone else. Maybe I should just ask him what he charges for recuts?

AUGH! Stupid stepMIL and that dang IN-sinkerator!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora gave you excellent advice. Spinel can be an everyday ring as long as it is taken off during hand intensive activities such as housework, gardening and sports. Also be prepared for a few minor nicks and scratches years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results