shape
carat
color
clarity

Are round studs better or cushion?

principesse

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody, looking for some advice/insight please.

I am hoping to buy my first pair of Diamond studs since childhood. My jeweler found me a pair of 0.9ct each (1.81ctw) of cushions and the price was good. I like that cushions are refreshingly different from the usual round studs but still super sparkly. When I tried them on I wasn’t too sure of the size on me. They felt a bit smaller than I had expected/hoped. I had always dreamt of 2ctw and had always only focused on round, so I started hesitating and asked to see more options. I think what made me unsure of the cushions was that they were more rectangular than I had expected and it’s more visible when they’re on, so I’m not sure I’m loving how they go done narrower than a round or square cushion would.

So, now one of the options is 2.1 ctw round studs (1 ct each) and of course there is a price jump. I am offsetting part of that by trading in another piece. My jeweler has suggested the difference in size wouldn’t be worth the upgrade.

What would you do? I feel so torn because I feel like the cushions are special but I also know I would still have the classic rounds on my wishlist. Is the size difference between 0.9 cushion and 1ct round worth it?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
There is a price jump at the 1 carat mark, and round is a more popular cut than cushion.

I like to be a little bit different in my jewelry selections, and I like unusual cuts. That being said, I prefer round studs, whether oec or rbc because they never need adjusting on my ear. Maybe I’m a little ocd, but I like my earrings to be directionally the same, so I’d always be fiddling with cushions on my lobes, because they spin.

Excited for your purchase! I love my diamond studs—there is a reason most of us want a pair!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushion cut diamonds tend to be cut deeper than round brilliant diamonds. In other words round brilliant will look bigger than
cushions of the same carat weight. These comments are in general...you would have to look at the size of the cushions he is showing
you. This website might be of some help.

I agree with @Mrsz1ppy ...I prefer rounds because they are always "the right way" on your ear. Plus with well cut round brilliant
you tend to get good edge-to-edge brightness.

If you want some pretty cushions for your ears something like this would be gorgeous...unfortunately, kind of expensive!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me, if these were to be my only studs, I'd definitely go with round. They are classic and timeless, and as mentioned, don't get off kilter like other shapes might. Also, rounds of the same carat weight would typically look larger than cushions of the same weight. So perhaps see if your jeweler can find you some nice round studs that weigh a bit less than the 2ct total to avoid the price bump. They will probably look larger on the ear than the cushions you tried.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Round please

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results