shape
carat
color
clarity

Are re-cut diamonds OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Toughguy

Rough_Rock
First, this is a fantastic website and forum. What a great source of information. My question:

I am considering a diamond that has been re-cut. The seller (whom I trust) has told me it was re-cut to achieve ideal proportions, as opposed to repairing a chip. Its original cut was too deep but was cut right above a weight-break, so they knocked off 15-20 points to get it to ideal proportions. (from say 2.09 ct to 1.92 ct).

(a) Is this re-cut diamond considered flawed, even though it's a relatively good price? In other words is this like a "refurbished" diamond? Or is this entirely normal for many diamonds?

(b) If in the future my soon-to-be-wife and I had it re-appraised or re-graded, would the appraiser be readily able to tell if it has been re-cut? (the GIA cert doesn't say "re-cut")

The most important thing to me is getting the perfect diamond for her; I think she would love everything else about this diamond.

Thank you in advance!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

Btw, I like your name Toughguy :)

I'm Toughdog then, :bigsmile: [/u][/u]

Greentree

Rough_Rock
I had a diamond re-cut to ideal proportions and I am delighted with it. There is a jeweler's web site out there that portrays a re-cut diamond as, well, recycled. Don't fall for that. Both the grading laboratory and your independent appraiser are interested in what your diamond is now. It's having been cut from a larger stone is of no interest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results