shape
carat
color
clarity

are polish lines a bad thing on my diamond?? w/in

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
I just bought my .58 princess from DirtCheapDiamonds. It was under their great cut category and is a very beautiful stone. However I took it to get verified by a local appraiser and under the microscope he pointed out several lines the seem to run over the table. While he was explaining them he referred to them as scratches and really wasn''t making a big deal about them. This stone is a VVS2 with a polish of Good. When I asked him if this was a very bad thing for a diamond he said no.

I was researching these scratches and have read posts on this forum and diamondtalk calling them polish marks. They seem to be common on stones with just Good Polish on the GIA. I cannot see these with my eye, and I did not check with a loupe. I was only shown under the microscope and at a certain angle.

Should I be concerned about this. I mean if this a common attribute to a stone with Good polish I will be fine with this.

Thanks,

Robert O.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, polish marks/lines are very common, and no they are nothing to worry about. You will not be able to see them with the naked eye and they are tough to spot even under 10x unless you know how to look for them.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
They seemed very apparent under the microscope. What magnification are those at? At different angles however you couldn't see them. I assume the microscopes are like 100x?

Thanks,

Robert O.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
10x is what you'd get with a loupe. Most gemological microscopes max out at 60x. You were probably seeing the polish marks at around 30-40x.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the above not caused by a heavily grained stone which could have durability issues?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Neither polish lines or scratches pose any kind of durability issue, but they are not the same thing. Scratches result from wear, usually from contact with another diamond. These can be seen in reflected light and are most obvious on the table. Polish lines as the term indicates, are a result of the polishing procedure. They''re normally less obvious than scratches and can best be viewed through opposing facets, ie. pavilion polish marks are best viewed through the table. A polish grade of ''good'' would not seriously affect the beauty of the diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Fuffi - so they are different from surface grain lines in heavily grained diamonds do you mean?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Yes Pyramid. Surface grain lines are caused by irregularity in the crystal growth during formation.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you see many surface grain lines as a durability issue then?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bmp

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results