shape
carat
color
clarity

Are pave and I compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

its lydia

Rough_Rock
I have known the ring style I want for a long time. Pave. I''m slightly obsessed.

I compete in dressage events with my 2 horses. Other than that, I''m pretty laid back and, well, lazy. I am concerned with the cleaning of pave rings, though I have found some great threads on this. My main concern is that pave is not suitable for everyday wear. Do you ladies find this to be true? Or can you get away with it if you''re super careful and take the ring off when there is a danger to it. Of course the ring will never go anywhere near my horses or the barn, and I will not wear it while riding (DUH!). And for sleeping, showering, cleaning, etc.

I don''t want to have an e-ring that I end up only wearing on special occasions, I want to wear it all the time! So.. all you ladies with PAVE.. How do YOU wear it? Everyday? Only on special occasions? I will definitely be getting a well made pave setting either from Ritani, Leon, or Beverly K. If the ring is well made, should it stand up to everyday (careful) wear?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as you recognize and understand the fact that occasionally you will lose a stone you'd be fine with pave. Just be smart-don't wear it to the barn, don't wear it while doing anything rough with your hands as you've mentioned and you'll be fine.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had a Leon Mege pave halo e-ring and wedding band for 9 months and have not had one problem. In the beginning I was very careful and took them off when I was at home. But as time went by I have dropped them on tile
32.gif
, cleaned, showered, slept in and whatever you can think of to these rings(except gardening, that''s where I draw the line). I also have two little boys. The little suckers are in there tight! But just note that all pave settings aren''t created equal. Good pave is worth the extra money IMO. Good luck!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:46:00 PM
Author: neatfreak
As long as you recognize and understand the fact that occasionally you will lose a stone you''d be fine with pave. Just be smart-don''t wear it to the barn, don''t wear it while doing anything rough with your hands as you''ve mentioned and you''ll be fine.
Neat gives great advice.

Pave is more delicate than a standard style setting, so it requires a bit more maintenance. Think of a pave ring like a fine cashmere sweater....you can''t just throw it in the washing machine with all the other clothes and put it on super spin-dry; there are special washing instructions to keep it in its finest condition.

As long as you don''t mind the potential higher maintenance that usually comes with pave rings, it''s a fine choice. It''s a gorgeous look, and if I were a pave-lover, the extra maintenance would be worth it to me to get the look I love.

If you think you might get frustrated by possibly having to get stones replaced/reset, then I''d urge you to think about your lifestyle and whether your daily activities might pose risk to the ring.

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
I had a pave wedding set.... it was the one I picked out and adored.. the bling was incredible! Notice I''m using past tense...

When my fiancee to be went to pick up the engagement ring after being sized... he was told some of the small stones had fallen out and been reset. I wore the ring for a month until our wedding, and 12 days after our wedding I looked down and there was a missing stone... oh did I cry. And then another, and another. I was told the jeweler was going to recast my ring, in my size, to avoid having to stretch the settings of the pave (their theory for why I was losing diamonds). They did... I received it... and I lost diamonds.

I gave up.

I went to a Gelin Abaci tension setting that highlights my diamond... and a plain wedding band... and I''m sooo much happier not constantly inspecting my ring for missing diamonds,

BTW... I''m a cashier...I wear gloves for housework...and took the rings off at night.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 7:24:44 AM
Author: kboggs315
I had a pave wedding set.... it was the one I picked out and adored.. the bling was incredible! Notice I''m using past tense...

When my fiancee to be went to pick up the engagement ring after being sized... he was told some of the small stones had fallen out and been reset. I wore the ring for a month until our wedding, and 12 days after our wedding I looked down and there was a missing stone... oh did I cry. And then another, and another. I was told the jeweler was going to recast my ring, in my size, to avoid having to stretch the settings of the pave (their theory for why I was losing diamonds). They did... I received it... and I lost diamonds.

I gave up.

I went to a Gelin Abaci tension setting that highlights my diamond... and a plain wedding band... and I''m sooo much happier not constantly inspecting my ring for missing diamonds,

BTW... I''m a cashier...I wear gloves for housework...and took the rings off at night.

This is a great example of why you want to make sure to buy GOOD QUALITY pave. And your jeweler should have known better than to size a pave ring...

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring by Danhov with micropave that I''ve been wearing every day since I received it last July.
30.gif
I too don''t wear it to clean, shower, do dishes etc. and am yet to have a stone come loose. I think it''s imperative to get a setting from a designer that''s KNOWN for their pave work in order to not constantly worry about it.

Good luck deciding!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pave setting that I''ve had for over a year. The only time I take it off is to shower and clean it and yes [gasp] I even wear it gardening. I have never had a stone fall out. I believe it all depends upon the quality of the pave and setting.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have a pave-encrusted ring and have had no problems with it but I also baby it very much. I ride dressage as well and would not ever consider wearing it to the stable. I wear it when I go out but never around the house or doing anything even remotely rough. I love my ring very much but sometimes I do wish I had gotten something a little more practical. I may treat it more gently then it even requires but I just want it to stay looking new. I'd also love to throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner once in a while and I know that some people do but I always use a baby to toothbrush to clean mine. In general, just expect more maintenance then you would from a non-pave ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a very well made pave ring. Never lost a stone but I babied it and it spent most of the time in the box b/c of my lifestyle. I ended up getting rid of it b/c I want a ring I can wear pretty much all the time. Like the others said, go with a high quality designer and you should be fine but please do recognize the ring will have to be very well cared for and weigh out how much time you''d really get to wear it and if it will fit with your lifestyle. I love pave too
1.gif

its lydia

Rough_Rock
How is Beverly K''s pave? Anyone have any testimonials?

I think I will be fine with it, I am not a very active person. I exert myself at the barn 5 times a week, but aside from that, I''m a stay at home and watch a movie kind of girl.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I love pave! My engagement ring and wedding band are pave. Both were sized by a local jeweler and I''ve never had any problem. I wear it everyday at work and at home. I play tennis, do yoga, take the dogs out, cook and clean with it on. Never had a problem.
I may too hard on it now that I''m writing all this. But if you love the look, go for it.
Best wishes!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Pave is very much the trend these days, and many many women are sporting it for their engagement rings and wedding bands. I am one of these women. My rings are not a brand or from a designer, and it's in 14K white gold. I have been wearing them every day for two years (the ering, that is), I wear them to the gym, to walk the dog, grocery shopping, sometimes in the shower or to bed, only take them off occasionally for extra messy cooking or gardening. I clean them with jewelry solution and a toothbrush about once a week and bring them to my favorite jeweler every couple of months for an ultrasonic cleaning and prong check. I am vigilant about not getting grimy things like bar soap, lotion or food stuck in the nooks of my ring, and I'm careful not to catch the little bead prongs in the fabric of my clothing. Other than that I wear my rings just like anyone who has a plain band...and I am rather clumsy and hard on my hands (never can wear my birthstone Emerald because of it). And my pave rings always look clean & sparkly and I've never lost a stone.
1.gif
1.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the look of pave but I was too scared of stones falling out. I wear my ring all the time except when I clean and I never give it a second thought. Good luck with your decision
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had mediocre luck with inexpensive pave settings, so I echo the sentiment that if you want to wear a pave setting everyday, go with a very high quality setting.

I''m really, really glad I went with a plain wedding set, but if you''re fine with losing a stone now and then, I would go for it!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Another dressage rider here. Forgive me, I''m going to play Devil''s Advocate. Its lydia, I do not have pavé for my ER/WB because it simply would not be practical for my day-to-day activities. When I was "investigating" ERs, jewelers literally cringed and shook their heads when I told them I had horses. Like you, I always wanted to wear my wedding set 24/7, including during my hours at the the barn. I worried that if I started taking the set off for this or that, I would eventually loose the rings, or they may be stolen when not on my hand (as has happened before). I have had two wedding sets, the first was in WG, and I totally wore the metal down. The set I wear now is platinum and does seem to be holding up better. However, I''ve finally begun to leave my rings at home when I am at the barn. Aside from the dirt, it is all too easy to bang my hand on something or damage the metal as I do chores. I can''t begin to imagine wearing a pavé style ring around my horses.

I realize you say that you would never wear such a ring to the barn, on the other hand, you tell us about the dressage AND that you want to wear your e-ring all the time. So, I tend to think that you may, at least on occasion, go ring-in-hand to the barn... really, it is just too tempting not to! Riding 5X a week is a huge commitment, and is time consuming. Be sure of what you are willing to give up in order to have your beloved pavé. Perhaps a more realistic goal for you might be to have a pavé RHR down the road? Or, an ER with pavé on the shoulders of the shank, but, a solid shank for the rest of the ring?

I love my ER and I hate leaving it at home... My wish for you would be that you may enjoy your dream ring whereEVER you may be. That being said, I agree, go for the best quality setting, pavé or otherwise, that can be afforded and have a safe place to keep it when it is not on your hand. Congratulations, on your engagement, BTW.
2.gif

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pave setting and love it! I wear my ring everyday and don't particularly baby it, but I have learned to be more careful with it than I initially was. I have a few warnings/suggestions:

1. I don't recommend sleeping, showering, doing dishes, gardening any other hand-intensive activities while wearing it. I was unwise when I first got my ring and did all these things, along with giving my ring a few hard knocks. Well, a stone fell out 5 months to the date after I received my ring (more on that later).

2. If you're an emotional person and would cry at the loss of a pave stone, pave probably isn't for you. You need to know that the occasional stone falling out is the nature of pave. If a stone falls out, go deal with it quickly and then continue to enjoy your ring. (And make sure you buy a well made pave ring).

3. You *might* want to consider buying your setting locally if you have access to any quality, trusted jewelers. I bought locally because my jeweler provides lifetime maintenence for free and does all work in-house. So, when I needed to get that stone replaced, I just went my jeweler and my ring was in perfect condition again within an hour. I'm sure any of the PS vendors would also do pave repair/maintenance for free, but you'd likely need to send your ring away each time, which I just wasn't interested in.

ETA:

4. Don't use an ultrasonic to clean your pave ring(s).

5. Get your ring/prongs checked occasionally (every 4-6 months) so that you're less likely to have the occasional stone pop out.

Good luck with your decision.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 11:38:12 AM
Author: its lydia
How is Beverly K''s pave? Anyone have any testimonials?

makes a quality ring for a good price IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results