shape
carat
color
clarity

Are only Internet dealers priceworthy?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Okay, quick vent, I have been to more diamond store, jewelers and even dealers than I care to count. Bottom line, they always quote 20-30% over the internet prices. I didn''t expect this from the Diaomnd District (the people with all the connections), and especially SO MUCH! But with a shaped stone, you need ot SEE the stone, so I almost have no choice. Any ideas?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Just 20%? Sounds like a deal.

Maybe you can find a B&M with an internet presence as well. Can you get up to see Jonathan at GoodOldGold? He may have the goods you're interested in and has ALL the tools for analysis. Of course he is not selling solely on price point.

Sort of a have your cake and eat it too deal, I'm afraid. Don't be reluctant to pay extra for good service - it's one of the foundations of a polite society!

R/A

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
When we are talking $2-4K, it's not something I feel like "tipping" for just being a B&M! It's my boyfriend's hard earned money, and he wants the best for his buck. Quality above all. I respect that, and hope I can find a B&M who will respect that too. If GoodOldGold can hear me, I would love to hear from you. My BF e-mailed, but we are still waiting.... THANKS!
appl.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I feel obliged to give some props to the professionals.

The markup you pay is not just a "tip". If you get a vendor who really knows his stuff, treats you right, and invests in diamond stock and a site so that you can sit down and compare different stones side by side, you are paying for a professional service. I don't know what Jonathan's markup is, but I do know that he does not choose to compete with the pajama clad drop-shippers out there. He feels that his time and service has value. Of course we all have different ideas of what this service might be worth!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely, 100% agree with you. Only problem is that I have contacted about 35 different B&M stores so far. In NYC and out of. The only ones who seemed to do a bang up job of contacting me, getting back to me, and giving me the best prices so far have been internet based. I have collected cards from so many people who have promised to help me look, but haven't turned up anything significant.

Again, I got calls from those "pajama clad drop-shippers" and e-mails the same day, when I have been waiting two weeks for a call from most B&M stores. Their clients come in and keep them busy perhaps, but I will applaud the 4 jewelers who actually KNEW what a radiant WAS, how it is cut, and the avergae going prices. I'm sorry, but with the ridiculous prices I have been given (one on the SAME stone with a B&M mark up of $3,100 from the EXACT stone on the web) I am sort of hoping that some B&M people will start earning those extra $$$.

So far, the people I have been to, Fifth Avenue stores, to mom & pop shops had sort of dropped the ball on this one. Some refused to give me GIA certificate copies of stones I was interested in, some tried to sell me Asscher cuts, some tried to sell me lower grade stones, larger stones, or just my stone specs with an inflated price. One guy told me Radiants are only sold at Tiffany's to go there for one. Another guy didn't know what a radiant was, and kept calling it an emerald. Two flat our didn't bother to check saying they don't know where I could find radiants, and two guys actually had the nerve to reserve their premium stones from us because they knew we knew our stuff and mentioned the Rap Sheet...

I am glad you had a good experience with these people, but I haven't. Maybe New York is bereft of decent jewelers who can help and earn their premiums over the internet prices, and maybe those jewelers just exist somewhere outside my sphere of searching... Either way, I stick to my opinion, unless (gladly) proved otherwise, because I am tired of being lied to, fed sales pitches, bolstered with anti-internet propaganda, and just plain given the run-around. I have at least 98% of my information and current list of viable stones from internet sources, and I am very appreciative to those who have done their work at customer service, wherever they seem to operate from. By the way, I have spoken to 5 different online people (no B&M) and they were MORE knowledgable and helpful than 70% of my B&M jewelers. That's just what I have seen thus far.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/27/2004 4:41:37 PM Nicrez wrote:

But with a shaped stone, you need ot SEE the stone, so I almost have no choice. Any ideas?----------------

Some patience and the use of the return policy from internet sellers, and getting a stone shipped after you are confortable with it's dimensions, outline (somehting professional pictures can communicate quite well) and light return. Whiteflash ? I remember they sold one amazing rad ring just before the holidays and the store routinely performs cut analysis on their stones (round or otherwise). Besides, you are not very likely to find jewelers with similar expertise down every street. How afre are you from GoodOldGold? I know they do not have any rads in stock now, but they sure look like the place that can broker a stone right for you. Does this make sense?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Sent GOG an e-mail, hoping they can help me locate the stone. *fingers crossed*

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/27/2004 4:41:37 PM Nicrez wrote:

Okay But with a shaped stone, you need ot SEE the stone, so I almost have no choice. Any ideas?----------------

I don't get it. Rank Am. gave you a choice of cake & eat it too. It may come as a small premium; but, you are not wasting your time & (potentially money) chasing "virtual" stones. Goodoldgold.com has a *real* store in Long Island. He knows radiants. If I recall superbcert.com is also in NYC & knows fancy cuts.

You are going to pay for service. But, you will be getting *exactly* what you want & the confidence of buying. I am unsure where the 3k difference is. The difference in price should be that much. But, you may not be comparing apples to apples. And, the drop ship people aren't even looking at *any* apple.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The only problem is that B&M SO FAR do not carry my stones. I have only seen 4 that fit my criteria, and barely at that...

OK, I would not mind the price differnce IF they had the stones to begin with in stock, or had the drive to find them and call me in. Also, they would earn that premium if they didn't:

1) Convince me to get another type of stone (ones they DID carry)

2) Stop the sales pitch of why they are better than anyone else on the internet and stopped dragging everyone else down in reputation, when they don't even live up to theirs...

3) Stop giving me the "you don't know that's good for you" story of why I should get a stone different than what I ask for. I am misled and twisted until I get so frustrated.

4) some even refuse to admit they have the premium stones in stock because they would rather sell them to people who don't know Rap and will pay 2x the price for them.

I have been waiting to hear from over 30 B&M stores, and the best responses I have are the people on internet based sites. I stick to that. Today I got three e-mails alone from these internet guys and each on included a list of stones they can get for me, mentioned they can negotiate prices, and offered to send any types of certs and facts I needed further.

Why should I pay more for less service, less selection and people who have thus far been less trustworthy, less helpful and just harder to work with in general. I am going to have to do as Valeria101 said and find a stone on it's stats and numbers, do my best to determine it's beauty, get it, analyze it, and take advantage of their return policy.

Unless a B&M person helps me find my stone and actually wants to be helpful in getting me EXACTLY what I want and not just turn a profit on an old stone they couldn't unload, I don't care to pay more. As I see it so far, I have a cheaper price, less hassle, more help, more choices, and even comprehensive information on the stones via these internet guys that I am sticking with what works until I am proven otherwise. Gladly...

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Since my background is from a B&M jewelry store and then moved on to internet sales, I can tell you first hand that our current customers are so much more educated than the average walk in customer. Our customers today receive some much more information about the diamond they are buying, like sarin reports and ideal scope pictures, then when we sold diamonds over the counter. We work twice as hard to find them the right color, quality, size and proportions for their budget. When a customer came into our jewelry store, we would show then our inventory and they would pick out the diamond based on the color, clarity, cut and, size. Times have changed and customers are benefiting because they are receiving certified diamonds, which can be verified by any reputable independent appraiser, for incredible prices. Choose an online dealer that is a member of the Better Business Bureau and you feel comfortable working with and it is a win win situation. You receive a certified diamond with all the specifications you want and you save money for more important things like your honeymoon. Have fun and enjoy your diamond shopping!!

Felicia

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, as impressive as the stone and ring was, I will be seeking a 1.7 - 2.0 ct or so (not the 3.0 ct!) and I want a square radiant, with a simple plat setting. More diamonds are nice, but I am little and I just couldn't "rock" a ring like that. Wedding band would be a 3mm pave band to add sparkle.

Thanks for that thread...I actually almost started to cry at the proposal! At work, that's not something you really want to be doing...
3.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have been proven somewhat wrong. I was given excellent help and service from two B&M stores today. Shenoa & Co did a great job at trying to help me out with locating just the right stone...I have to wait to hear back from them ragarding them finding the stones, but I am hopeful and happy...also a smaller jeweler did her best to accomodate, but them her mother came in and tried to sell me an SI1, and pushed until I had to nod, smile and just galze over. But I repeat, her daughter whom I dealt with most was friendly, helpful and promised to call back. Internet people are still winning in my book though....especially for $3-4K differences....

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Take a look at this thread about Shenoa and Company:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-a-diamond-from-shenoa-co-need-advise-fast-please.9981/

Shenoa sells on eBay. Even though they have a fairly good rating, several people left positive feedback after Shenoa exchanged the diamond shipped with a "better" replacement. When you think about how much most people know about diamonds, it doesn't give much credence to positive feedback from John Q. Average Public.

IMHO, you would be best served to surf the websites of Vendors from Price Scope. Check on their return/refund/upgrade policies. Search past threads by Vendor name and look at feedback from previous buyers. Call and chat with a few. Find one you are comfortable working with and have the Vendor source your diamond for you. White Flash, GOG, Nice Ice, DCD won't sell you a diamond that does not meet thier standards. You will get a quality stone that has been evaluated for performance and meets your specifications for color and clarity. Just a suggestion.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if anyone has shown you this yet but here is the AGA Cut Grade chart for Radiants. Use the parameters in here to help you find a good stone.

If you are buying a fancy online, things like IdealScope images and pictures of the actual stone are KEY in my opinion...they will help you determine light return and inclusion placement etc since you are not seeing the stone in person.

If you find a stone that has 1A-2A numbers, that should be a good start in terms of asking for more information on that particular stone from a vendor.
2.gif

agaradiant.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Mara, thanks for that excellent post. Sadly, I am having tough time finding a square radiant within the color, clarity and carat range I need to even LOOk at the Depths and tables for a !A or 1B...The emerald shapes can be found properly cut, but the squared ones are tougher to find, especially well cut... I will continue my search for the world's most impossible stone, but if anyone ever sees even a well cut radiant (whatever size), let me know!!!! I need proof for myself that it exists!
sad.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Nicerez,

You did get my email?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I did and still trying to respond via the website, but it asks me to log in (and since I can't) it tells me I do not have the authority to access it. I was about to send you an e-mail. Regents are lovely on paper, but I can't say I have ever seen one in person. I am told they sparkle the best over radiants, but so far i have seen radiants and a Lucere...no one else carries the variety of suare stones GOG does, so no one could show me any real good fancy shaped stones! Are there any nights you are open later? I work in NYC, but could drive over there one night. Let me know... Thanks for your help!!
wavey.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Regents Rock !!!!!!

I can personally attest to their awesome brilliance...I have one...

There aren't too many of them around so I am not sure ther are boatloads of people who have seen them in person...

I am going to attach pics of my Regent that were taken by Rich Sherwood who did the appraisal for me...(although GOG does such an awesome job of analysis you don't necessarily need one :)

Best of luck in your search

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is pic from my appraisal...

diaspzoom.JPG

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
another

diaspzoom2.JPG

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
another

diaspzoom3.JPG

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pathetic pic I took myself...my digi cam skills need some work...the little white things in front of the stones are the raibows/and light it shoots off...I think it is really cool when they shoot out and hit the ceiling/floor or walls 3-8 feet away...drives the cat nuts
10.gif

Hope this has been helpful

diafire1.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regent's are amazing. There are alot of pictures floating around, I myself posted some of my small stone...which is now at GOG for re-setting into a better pendant basket. My stone was so small and yet threw off unbelievable flashes of fire and light. Really amazing. If I didn't already have a round e-ring and was still looking, I would be very tempted to go with something like a Regent.
2.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Diane,

I have not seen a Regent cut in person but your pics are beautiful, and your ring is absolutely lovely!! I have to say that your avatar looks almost like a round. Does it look round in person, or does it have a definite square shape?

I have both a RB and Radiant and they are both very sparkly but in very different ways. The RB facet look (which I am assuming is quite a lot like the Regent) produces larger flashes of lights from the facets. The Radiant is liked cracked ice with smaller flashes of light reflecting.

I think those of us that love Radiant cut diamonds enjoy them because of the square shape, clipped corners, and cracked ice appearance!
9.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I know the pic in the avatar does look a little round...they pic doesn't show the top facet too well...since I smushed it for the avatar...it is more square in person...and in the pics I just posted and well the full size ones I have posted

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Diane,

My only problem is that is may be too round? I liked princess, but wanted something less sharp, and more sparkly...hence Radiant. Regant MAY be too round, but again, unless i see one in person I can't rule it out. It truly is a phenomenally sparkly stone though! WHAT PICS! THanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi NiceRez,

I'm always here late on Thursday nights (till 9pm). I do have here Regent, Queen of Hearts, & Princess. I can call in Lucere & Radiant if you'd like to see a lineup.

Icelady, that is a GREAT description of radiants. I am one who really likes to see rainbows which is why I do not stock radiants, otherwise an outstanding feature of nicely cut radiants is excellent scintillation.
1.gif

Regarding the Regent ... I've had some people who when seeing the pictures online felt they weren't square enough but then come see them and then see they are plenty square and vice/versa. Even if we shipped one to you and if you weren't happy you are not obligated but since you're close enough to drive you can just pop in and see em.

Look forward to being of help. Perhaps you can pop out on a Thursday night?

Kind regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results