shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Oil Treated Emeralds Considered More Valuable Than Resin Treated Ones?

Emeraldover

Rough_Rock
Are Oil Treated Emeralds Considered More Valuable Than Resin Treated Ones ?(For the same treatment level. For example both are F2- moderately treated .

Also what is the difference in the appearance of oil treated emeralds versus raising treated emeralds?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are Oil Treated Emeralds Considered More Valuable Than Resin Treated Ones ?(For the same treatment level. For example both are F2- moderately treated .

Valuable as what one would personally cherish more and consider worth having?

Or valuable as in retail asking price/going rate? Or the dreaded resale/investment angle?

Last edited:

Emeraldover

Rough_Rock
From this point = Or valuable as in retail asking price/going rate? Or the dreaded resale/investment angle?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I remember a trade member here making a general comment on retail pricing regarding cedar oil vs excel (or something like that) awhile back. I’ll see if I can find the comment and link to it, if I’m not grossly mistaken.

General comment because I think overall look / performance /color is going to figure into the individual situation stone at hand.

High resale/investment is usually reserved for trade ideal specimens or something truly exceptional/rare. And the planets aligning of an interested buyer with available cash at the same time.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been different camps on this and like all thing gemstones, value is market driven and can change. I think the most important factor in the long term value of an emerald is the degree of treatment and appearance.

Interesting article: https://www.ruby-sapphire.com/index...merald-treatments-opticon-vs-oiling-catfights

I'm not an emerald expert and don't keep up with the market, so fwiw:

Emeralds have a long history of being treated with oil which makes that treatment preferable to some (including many on PS). On the flip side, there are modern resin treatments that are more stable than oil.

I've read that some prefer oil because it's a "natural" substance. But in reality, either enhancement is not "natural" in terms of how the stone came looking out of the earth - and for other types of stones would not be considered acceptable.

My emerald ring was a random buy so I sent it to AGL out of curiosity. I was thrilled to learn it was "minor" and equally disappointed to learn the treatment was "modern" (not "oil"). I had read so much on PS on making sure the treatment was "oil only". The person at AGL I spoke with seemed surprised/confused as according to her, the lab considers either type of enhancement is perfectly acceptable. I've learned to enjoy my emerald knowing it won't require reoiling :)

As @Rfisher stated, unless it is an ideal specimen or truly rare, gems are not an investment. I would buy an emerald based on those factors that are important to your enjoyment or peace of mind.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To purists, any treatment that is reversible, is always better. Many resins are not reversible, even if more stable. If purchasing a high end emerald, I would prefer cedarwood oil.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results