shape
carat
color
clarity

Are laser inscribed diamonds worth more?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carat_top

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if a laser inscribed diamond means that it is more special? Why are some diamonds laser inscribed while others are not? Does this affect value?

All responses are appreciated!!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
carat_top,

Laser inscriptions cost about $50-$100 depending on your market. They can be done at any time after the stone is cut. It's a popular service because it makes it easier and faster to recognize a particular stone.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is another quick way to identify the stone. I don't think it affects the value of the stone although it does cost the vendor who lasers it a little bit of $. These stones are usually very nice looking stones since the vendor does not want to waste his time and money on a crappy stone.

Edited to add: Neil beat me to the reply.
9.gif

carat_top

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, denverappraiser...

So, if the diamond already has a laser inscribed GIA number, then is it a used diamond? Why would the diamond already be inscribed?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily. Actually there are a lot of "recycled" diamonds; these were exchanged, traded or sold. Some are inscribed and some aren't. New diamonds can also be laser inscribed to identify them so laser inscribing has nothing to do with whether the diamond has been owned previously or not.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not at all.

Many vendors like it for internal purposes of tracking their inventory. There is also a demand from customers who like it and the vendors do it as an added service to help their stones sell better. Lastly, it's an easy way to establish the brand of a stone. Several of the labs do it as well. It's popular and vendors like their stones to be popular.
1.gif
I can't say I would recommend paying much of a premium to get it but I sure wouldn't call it a problem.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

carat_top

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses... i appreciate the help.

laser inscribing diamonds some are laser inscribed becouse the stone "may" be a special stone although "obviously not flawless" the dealer would not waste his time or money doing this for low quality stones the main reason some diamonds are lasered is in order so people can say for 100% this cert is for this stone as the numbers match up, the lab will also keep a copy so if cert is lost or stone stolen further action can be taken makin it easier for insurance purposes. as for not all cut diamonds having them, simple it costs money.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Back in the day, some 15 years ago anyway, one of the features of Lazare Kaplan's diamonds was their lazer inscription, which I thought was pretty cool, and certainly -- at least then -- added cachet to their mix. Today, if I read it right, oldminer here will add it for about $25. Also, I think it was explained to me that for GIA certs, and diamonds under 1 carat, rather than taking the time to plot out the inclusions, they provide the inscription instead as an identifier. I've got one on mine/ours, and appreciate it as a cool bonus. But, the spread of the inscription has got to bite for Lazare Kaplan. Anyone know if what's been rumoured here is true...that they are a/the significant supplier for Tiffanys?

Best,

reg guy i read that tiffanys get their diamonds direct from the big boys at yellownife dont know if its true or not but i dont c why not as for having them cut you could be right

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results