shape
carat
color
clarity

Are lab diamonds less durable than mined counterparts?

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
I emailed a PS recommended vendor about potentially setting a lab created diamond (from a vendor with great reviews on this board). Part of the reply I received is listed below -

" Either way, we recommend that you con sider a genuine stone option as they are much less likely to chip and break than a lab created stone will be both during the setting process and through the lifetime of the ring."

The vendor states on another occasion throughout the email that they don't work with lab stones due as they aren't the best for a long term setting.

I'm a little confused - are lab diamonds not as durable? Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Adele

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I have never heard of such a thing, you need specialized equipment to distinguish lab grown diamond from a mined one, they are chemically and physically the same as their mined counterparts. Sure, certain inclusions can create weak points, but that goes for mined or lab grown.

Methinks it's a bunch of BS, there is a TON of misinformation being spread by jewelers on a variety of lab grown stones, and it would seem diamonds are no different.

Maybe an official expert (such as the owners of d.neadiamonds) would give you 100% peace of mind, or rightfully correct me if I am incorrect on this matter. :)

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response - I agree with you whomeheartedly. I had asked a similar question about properties of lab vs mined diamonds recently (geared towards light return / scintillation / fire) - I hadn't thought to ask about hardness or durability, given they're they have he same chemical structure. Will be interested to read other replies!

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A lab-grown diamond can be set with the same exact methods, procedures and care as any mined diamond, since both are 100% diamond with identical properties. They do not need any special treatment, and are no more likely to chip or break than any mined diamond (while unlikely, as vintageinjune pointed out, it is usually due to large inclusions near the girdle).

That vendor might be assuming you are asking about a simulant. Many jewelers still believe "lab created diamond" means cubic zirconia. Or, if they don't sell lab-grown diamonds, they might just be trying to sell you one of their mined diamonds instead.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
EEFranklin|1415633686|3780626 said:
A lab-grown diamond can be set with the same exact methods, procedures and care as any mined diamond, since both are 100% diamond with identical properties. They do not need any special treatment, and are no more likely to chip or break than any mined diamond (while unlikely, as vintageinjune pointed out, it is usually due to large inclusions near the girdle).

That vendor might be assuming you are asking about a simulant. Many jewelers still believe "lab created diamond" means cubic zirconia. Or, if they don't sell lab-grown diamonds, they might just be trying to sell you one of their mined diamonds instead.

Actually I think natural diamonds are more likely to have feathers - which are cracks (often running along natural cleavage directions, or in crystal twinning planes). And when these cracks are on the surface near the table / crown facets there is a chance the stone can be broken if bashed on a hard surface.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1415647451|3780763 said:
EEFranklin|1415633686|3780626 said:

Actually I think natural diamonds are more likely to have feathers - which are cracks (often running along natural cleavage directions, or in crystal twinning planes). And when these cracks are on the surface near the table / crown facets there is a chance the stone can be broken if bashed on a hard surface.

Fabulous, thank you so much for the replies. Perhaps they misunderstood what I was asking.. Or perhaps they wanted to make an extra sale. Either way, I appreciate the reassurance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results