shape
carat
color
clarity

Are heated sapphires so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I am resetting my engagement ring diamond into another setting. I do not want the platinum setting that it has been in to go to complete waste though! Since my hubby just have me a beautiful blue sapphire necklace, I was thinking of saving up the cash to buy a sapphire to put into my old ering setting. It could be a way to change up my look here and there. I want something nice, but I also want something substantial. I am looking at between 1 to 2ct''s. I''m terrorfied of ebay, i''m not educated enough about gemstones to know what I''d be getting myself into. I found one site, and their prices really were all over the place but most of their stuff said it was "heated". Is that bad for a sapphire? What makes it heated? Can anyone reccomend any good sites for purchasing a loose sapphire? Thanks!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing wrong with heated - less expensive too.

Heating is a "black" art, and designed to enhance color "purity" - making less desirable stones more desirable.

To see some pics check out Palagems.com.

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 12:15:04 AM
Author:devientdrow
most of their stuff said it was 'heated'. Is that bad...

Hi Devientdrow,

When it comes to enhancements (or treatments), like heating, irradiation, dyeing, coating, etc. there are two extreme positions that might be taken. One is the purist who says "I want my gems 100% unenhanced, any treatment whatsoever is unacceptable -- a deal breaker", then there is the exact opposite position of "whatever they can do to make gems prettier, more durable, more interesting, or cheaper is fine by me, I'm not really interested in the details". Most gem buyers (and dealers), however, find themselves somewhere inbetween these two philosophies.

An example of a common feeling is that any enhancement is acceptable as long as it is disclosed to the buyer (including any wearing or cleaning precautions that might be necessary). For example, surface diffused gems cannot be recut or repolished, and oiled emeralds should not be cleaned with solvents. Most would agree, also, that fair pricing of gems should take into account the presence and nature of any enhancement.

When it comes to the monetary value of treated vs untreated gems, the most common view is that all else being equal untreated gems are more valuable than enhanced ones of the same type. And that those enhanced by "traditional"and/or durabililty increasing methods (like simple heating of sapphires or using colorless wax to seal the surface of turquoise) are more valuable than those which have been treated by methods that are either highly invasive (like glass infilling or laser clarity enhancement in diamonds), or those that decrease a gem's durability (like surface diffusion or vapor coating.)

Barbara

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The view taken on heated sapphires is that all sapphires should be considered heated unless they come with a certificate to state otherwise. There is a company online called The Natural Sapphire Company and they have many unheated stones. If I was going to buy a good quality sapphire unheated it is there I would go to or at least get one with a report stating it was not heated.

I would however buy heated stones too if the colour was bright, I liked the colour of the stone and especially the price was right.

I believe some have said, I remember Wink saying onetime that he believed heating made the sapphires more brittle and subject to small abrasions along the facet junctions on the crown.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Since 95 percent of sapphires (or something like that) are treated in some way to get a marketable color - it is the standard. Also frankly - treated or no - great sapphires can take a while to find.

As mentioned in many posts - it is often a mind game - and a view of rarity. Mind game in that - understanding that the sapphire color was artificially made or enhanced. For me - since it the sapphire I purchased was the centerpiece in my gal's e-ring - I wanted rare of rare - great looking and untreated.

All things being equal - when I bought mine -untreated was going for 20-30% more than treated. However, considering how very rare untreated sapphires are - I think that is a bargin and will hold its value over time (if thats important to you).

Yes - prices are all over the map. If you think about it - you do see diamond prices all over the map - from zales to tiffany - difference is that with diamonds there is an accepted grading standard (accept some debate on cut) - so easier for consumers to understand the differences in prices.

Lots of posts on sapphires here are worth searching and reading.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much! I did some more research last night and I think I see what you all are saying. I personally am looking for a nice stone, something that looks nice and can hold up. If it''s heated than so be it. I''m more concerned about finding a gem that somewhat matches the color in my necklace my hubby gave me. Thanks all!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you got great replies here devientdrow, i''m sure you''ll find something that works for you.
please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results