shape
carat
color
clarity

Are halo rings a fad???

thk3

Rough_Rock
Just wondering what everyone thought about halo settings. I like them but just wondering what everyone else thought.

I think a smaller diamond set in a well made halo setting is beautiful, but I just fear they won't hold up to the test of time.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Love it, it's gonna be my next project~ :bigsmile:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Halos have been around for ages. I think they've become more popular as of late, but I don't think they will ever be out of style

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think simple halos have been around a long, long time. I've seen antique rings that had a halo of diamonds around a center stone. So no, I don't think they will go out of style completely. But some things do come and go in popularity for sure. Just look at how yellow gold has come and gone out of popularity for wedding sets (and on it's way back in!).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thk3|1305000165|2917045 said:
Just wondering what everyone thought about halo settings. I like them but just wondering what everyone else thought.

I think a smaller diamond set in a well made halo setting is beautiful, but I just fear they won't hold up to the test of time.
if you wait long enough everything will come back in style...i.e... my 70's bell bottom pants.. :bigsmile:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure, but I think what really matters is whether or not you love them. Princess cut diamonds are apparently a fad, but I absolutely love mine, and I truly believe that it will always be my favorite shape. :)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
They're popular now and could be considered a fad, but the style is a classic one that has been around a long time.
For example, Victorian jewelry often featured a larger gemstone surrounded by a border of smaller ones.
I like the style though I don't own a diamond halo ring.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Halos and cluster rings have been around since before the Victorian age. They weren't always all diamond, as during the Victorian age other gems such as pearls, garnets, and other gems were very popular for their meanings and what they spelled out (like the "dearest" bands...designs with Diamond, Emeralds, Amethyst, Rubies, Emerald, Sapphires, and Tourmaline or Topaz in a band), but throughout jewelry's history a type of halo design has indeed been very popular. The miracle head settings that were popular in the 60's and 70's were a type of halo...they made a small diamond appear larger from a casual distance.

Halos weren't very popular as engagement rings during the 80's and 90's, but over the past 5 to 10 years they have regained favor and are more popular than ever. So while some may think it's a fad, it's actually a very old idea that just gets updated. ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess Diana had one 30 years ago or so, and there were millions of reproductions of that ring!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
I was very concerned about this when initially looking for my engagement ring. The reason being is because I (for sentimental reasons) will never be upgrading/changing my ring ever, so this was ESPECIALLY concerning to me.

Eventually I did settle on a 3 stone-esque ring with a halo (see my avatar) knowing full well it was a classic setting that just HAPPENS to be popular right now. So if the "halo" trend dies out in about 5 years, then maybe for about 5 years after that, it will seem "dated" due to the "halo" popularity, but knowing it will go back to being "classic" only thereafter...

That is unless it the "halo" trend comes back say 20/30 years from now and then I have to start the cycle all over again!! :lol:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else that they've been around for a long time, and that it doesn't matter if they're a fad if that's what you love. Life is short, wear what you love!

I do think that the recent popularity of halos will date them to this time, just as marquise stones set in yellow gold look very 80s to us now, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy what you like today regardless of what's "in style".
Continue to enjoy what you like in 30 years regardless of what's "in style" then.

Fads are a roller coaster that you don't have to ride - up or down - now or later.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
as everyone else has said, halo's have already stood the test of time, they are just becoming more popular right now like they were in certain antique era's. I agree with Kenny to get what you love and not worry too much about a trend. However, I also don't think it's wise to go too unique etc. b/c that is where it is possible that something will fade in it's popularity and truly classic pieces are so, for a reason.

kristi2011

Rough_Rock
I agreed w everyone. Get what you like and not whats in style. It will probably be a long time before halos go out of style but by then wouldn't you want a new setting anyways? There are so many beautiful setting here and seeing everyone's rings makes me want to have one of each.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I agree to what a lot of others have said: Halos in one form or another will always be around.

I'm actually more concerned that the current trend towards thin shanks and little to no metal showing will be the first to go. I just don't see anyone but a very highly skilled designer/metalsmith be able to pull it off and if the average metalsmiths can't pull it off, then I don't think the trend is going to last.

But if you love the combination of halos with thin shanks and little metal showing, by all means get it. I would just trust it to only the highly skilled and then the ring should last you a lifetime.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I have become concerned as well. Especially when some say it's akin to cluster rings of the past-- I think they're hideous. :errrr: But they were popular at some point the way halo rings are now.

I don't want to look down at my ring years from now & say "what was I thinking?!"
So I flip flop back & forth btwn a halo with pave vs. no halo & plain shank.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just thinking... I haven't seen a Harry Winston halo yet that I think I wouldn't want to wear anytime....even if I am 115 I hope I love mine forever. But you are right tastes and styles change.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The hotter anything is now the colder it will be later. (except beer)
It's just physics. ;-)

IMHO the classic round solitaire transcends fads and styles.

solitaire.jpg

dreamingoftacori

Rough_Rock
I think it depends on the case to case basis. A well executed halo will never be a fad if they are well crafted. However, a poorly made and overwhelming halo will fade. Even with cluster rings were came and went, the well done ones still look wonderful today.

It's hard to say a general statement on whether they are a fad or not. Some will be, some won't.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
EVERY style goes are in ebb and flow. things become popular and in style, and then fade for a whilte- but I don't think ANY ring goes out of style :bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think they are. I love them!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I questioned this also, but the good news is a diamond can be very easily reset. In my case, the head would just be changed back to a 4 prong. That is if I care when/if halos go out of style. :). I'm bored with solitaires...had one for 12 years. :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the solitaire and the 3 stone consisting of side baguettes have been the most timeless settings. I am not a fan of halos for ER. I have no problems with halo settings when the center stone is a colored stone. But I am very conservative in my likes and dislikes and have never wanted to update or change a setting. I have an oval flanked by two baguettes set in platinum purchased 25 years ago.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305245158|2920133 said:
The hotter anything is now the colder it will be later. (except beer)
It's just physics. ;-)

IMHO the classic round solitaire transcends fads and styles.

+1
I have a classic solitaire for my engagement ring. I save my bling rings for my right hand - that way I can change them everyday depending on my mood :Up_to_something: but my wedding set remains constant.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Not a fad. A design element that is currently popular, certainly. But there are a LOT of art deco halos and halos are not a 'new' thing. They've stood the test of time. But like anything else there are time when they are more popular, and times when they are less so.

it's like asking if white gold is a fad. No. It's currently popular. But it's not a fad. Anymore than yellow gold is.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everyone else there were Edwardian halos, Victorian halos, Deco halos and so on, they are NOT new. I think they have had a popularity in chain stores recently because they are everywhere you look. Well made ones I don't think go out of fashion they are a statement in themselves, that is why they are so popular at places like Tiffany, Harry Winston and so on, and I love the way they make the centre stone look bigger as well, you can't beat them for extra finger coverage....

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a fad? Anything that goes out of style after a few years and doesn't come back for a long time? Yes I think halo is a fad soon to disappear as is vintage. But it will be back. The circle of life. Only the round solitaire seems to live forever.

leoshraeder

Rough_Rock
I think halos will withstand the test of time.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't call it a fad, but it is a bit strange. The reason we have been seeing halos everywhere for a few decades is...wait for it...the fall of the Soviet Union.

The Soviet Union had a lot of diamonds, but they weren't sold outside of the communist countries. Also, they tend to be little. After the fall of the union, there was talk of challenging de Beers and normalizing the diamond market once and for all. Instead de Beers made a deal with the Russians and started a campaign to create rings with lots of small diamonds.

I think halos are starting to look tired. I see more and more posts like this one. They dominate the maul market. Sooner or later the ideas that halos are faddish will move into the mainstream and no one will want one. Just as a few years ago halos said "Victorian antique" a generation from now halos will be "early 21st."

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading an article saying the same as ChristineRose wrote, at the time Debeers introduced the
right hand ring, can't remember what they called it but they had a few designs, marketed at career women, meaning the lefthand
ring is us and the right hand ring is I. All the rings were like clustered/paved small diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results