shape
carat
color
clarity

Are H&A''s the best performers??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the last post.. pressed ENTER by accident.

I was wondering, since with the H&A''s there''s about a 20% markup,... are they really worth that markup? Or can I get an ideal cut with the same FIRE and BRILLIANCE?

Is there something extremely special about the H&A?

Let me put it this way, I ordered a H&A for $20,000,

Another vendor spoke to me and told me he can get me the same color, grade, NOT an H&A , BUT even better FIRE and BRILLIANCE... for $17,000 - $17,500

I am a little tempted .... what do you guys think???

Carmen
confused.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that's horse kaka.

I've tested hundreds of diamonds of various cut qualities, non ideal, ideal, and triple ideal H&A's under optical analysis that covers both direct and diffuse light conditions and never have a seen a non H&A outperform the best H&A's. If this person says he can get you a diamond with better optical performance how does that person plan to go about proving that? I would like to see the evidence and call his bluff.

I would also say that there are some H&A's that do have better optical performance than others *and* I have witnessed non H&A's that out performed some H&A's but that is not typically the case.

Regards,

Rhino

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the Forum!
wavey.gif

You really need to give more information.

Why don't you post the specs,.... Color, Clarity, Carat weight, physical measurements including diameter, depth, crown and pavillion angles. Include the prices of both diamonds also. Folks can consider all the information and you'll get some informed opinions that way.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/7/2003 6:41:14 PM Rhino wrote:

I think that's horse kaka.

----------------
HA ha ha! This is the best quote I've read all week! Thank, J.

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Rhino,

Thanks for your reply. You are from GOG??

I needed that reassurance. I thought it was rediculous too. I've seen these stones in stores... and I thought they looked 100 times more awsome...

But anyhow, I doubted myself for a second...

It just sounded tempting.. I mean .. who doesnt' want tosave $3000!!

Carmen

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hehe... Al
3.gif

Hi Carmen,

Having been in this business for over 2 decades when one diamond is 3k less than the other (and the 2 people are working off of slim pickings with regards to markup) you can bet your behind there is a good reason why one is so much cheaper than the other and it is definetely not because the cheaper one is more brilliant. That you can rest assured of. I get good prices on the diamonds I purchase since I purchase in bulk and we get calls from suppliers all the time who want to sell us stones that they say are equally as beautiful but for less money. I am always open minded and see what they have to offer. Not once... I repeat, not once have I seen what most of these carnival barkers are claiming. One of them sent a representative to our store from South Africa. After testing about 15 of his stones (you should have seen his jaw drop when he saw our lab and the battery of tests we perform) I could not find one diamond in his inventory that even held a candle to the stones we handpick. After he saw the results of his stones I then pulled up a web page featuring the results of one of our cherries and exclaimed ... this is what my clients are used to getting for the $$$. He had to call his boss in SA to get on the phone with me to try to explain... I told him there's nothing to explain. If you can sell me this caliber of diamond for the price you are claiming we'll do biz. Until then... adios.
1.gif
This is why I always ask... HOW DO YOU PROVE YOUR CLAIM?

Peace,

Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh and YES! I am one of the owners of GOG. We are a family owned and operated business in the same location for approx. 24 years. I am in charge of our web division and handle everything concerning the diamonds that are purchased and sold through us. I am what you may call a very anal QA man.
1.gif

Peace,

Rhino

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Okay, here's just the basic stuff...

the one I ordered:

$18,770 1.13 carat IF / D color..... H&A 000

his is about the same same size... and he says same quality... for $16,058

yeah.. But I'm going to stick with the I ordered...

Carmen

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Rhino,,

thanks for your reply... I do feel much better...

It's' just that everytime I talk to another sales person.. and when they're really good at it... I doubt myself...

Thank you though...

Carmen

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
the gurus here will need more info. Depth %, table %, Crown angles, pavilion angles to really evaluate.. but even with this info, they can only offer their best guess without seeing the results from a battery of tests, Idealscope, Brilliancescope, etc etc...

I am no expert by any means, just someone who went out to look at stones then bought one. I've looked at a few H&A and I am impressed. I doubt a good H&A will be outperformed by a non H&A. You're spending a lot of money to get to a D color and IF clarity. If you're that particular about color and clarity, H&A is the way to go I venture a guess.. but I believe it is more noticable than dropping clarity to a VVS or dropping color to an E. And if this vender is sooo sure his is going to do better... Ask the man to prove it.

Good luck,
Chris

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chris..

I doubt this vendor can do better.... I know buying a D and IF are pretty high quatlity... but I've owned all lower quatlity jewlery since they are just as beautiful...

But now, a few years later... I'm making a little more money.. I'd really like to own a true "perfect" stone in color, clarity, and H&A and at least a 1 carat.... anything over 2 carats, I'm willing to drop to lower grades...

I'm too lazy to type out all the %.... but the one I ordered has an HCA of 1.1 .... pretty good?

21.gif

Carmen

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha... Chris is right. Also ... how do we know that the stone *you* ordered is an H&A? Have we seen pics? Proof? Or are we just going on what they said? Show us the pics and the stats Carmen.
1.gif

Rhino

Carmen

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have seen all the reports.... with the hearts... and the arrows.. the the lightscope...

These info was email to me... I didn't save it on my computer and after 3 days it's automatically delete...

Let me email the vendor to send them to me again... or after I get it, I"ll scan all the reports and post it...

carmen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results