shape
carat
color
clarity

Are G/H sidestones OK with D center? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I want to set a D VS1 princess with excellent light return in a setting with .60 tcw of channel set princess cut stones. The stones come G/H but can be upgraded. Will there be a noticeable difference between the side and center stones? If I ugrade do I have to do D or can I get away with F? Any experts out there to help?
PS - I will be bringing my center stone to the jeweler Tuesday for a look-see, but I tend to have weak eyes that can''t pick up the color difference. I don''t mind spending the extra cash - just want to make sure my ring won''t look awful.
Thanks
Jenibear

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Side stones business is a little bit tricky.
Let me explain..

Your center stone is a D so you don't want anyway anything on the side that will
overcome this D color... so G is fine..
Also, keep in mind that there's no way you'll be able to know for sure that the side
stones are really G stones (unless you get them appraised before setting them).

So keep your cash and get those GH stones.. dont spend more for D side stones when
you'll never be sure that these are really D stones...

Cut is more important than color anyway, even in sidestones..

Trichrome.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Trichrome!
How can I be sure of the sidestone cut quality? They are now VS2. I think they look great - as far as my eyes can tell.
Another question - the ring will be 14k white gold. Should I get platinum prongs? I will have V prongs that hug the corners of the princess stone. I have heard platinum is stronger for prongs. I've already decided against a platinum ring - too expensive and have seen/heard about too many unhappy people. I love 14k white (that's what all my jewelry is) and will stick with it.
Thanks Jenibear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results