shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Freshadamas worth the extra cost?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Now also thinking about getting a necklace from PP...honestly, I don't know a whole lot about pearls. I already have a freshwater pearl necklace my mom bought me, but I think it's from Macy's so my guess is that it isn't the best quality. I'm thinking debating between regular freshwater pearls or the freshadama pearls from PP. I know the freshadama pearls are the top of the line freshwater pearls, but it is worth the extra $200, especially as a novice?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure your necklace from Macy's is very nice. Macy's carries merchandise at all price points, so I wouldn't judge too quickly.

I'd ask if you like the necklace you have and if you wear it a lot, and are simply looking to upgrade?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ennui! My Macys pearls are good enough for now, and they are sentimentally special to me since they were a gift. But they are definitely not top of the line pearls. I can definitely see blemishes on them, and they're not perfectly round (although I do realize that you don't really get perfect roundness with most, if not all, FW pearl), though neither of those things are really evident when worn. I like it because they are my first set of pearls and again, there's the sentimental fact, and I do wear it a lot, but yes, I'd like to upgrade them.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
My general rule of thumb for all purchases (jewelry, real estate, wardrobe) BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD! Take a look at your budget, and if you can afford the upgrade go for it! Definitely call and speak to one of the wonderful CS reps at PP and discuss budget...they will show you options you might not otherwise know are available. Also think about how you will wear them.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Pirard! I'm leaning towards freshadama pearls, nut I'm also considering FW metallic whites. I've been searching old posts on here, nut can't seem to come to a decision...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The metallic whites have sharper luster but are less nearly round. Also, the larger sizes (8mm +) are harder to come by, and you may have a hard time matching earrings, should you wish to do that. Furthermore, some of the metallic whites are whiter and some are more cream colored.

For all these reasons, many people prefer the rounder, earring-grade pearls like Freshadamas, which is the name PP gives their top of the line earring-grade fwp. (Other vendors have this grade of pearls too, but have their own name for them-- Elite, etc.)

That said, I love my metallic whites!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Ask PP to send you photos of the pearl strands you are interested in, and have the strands in the same photo side by side.

I have Freshadamas that I really love. They are very round, but they have a softer glow than metallic FW pearls which are very shiny.

I've ordered metallics, and sent them back, because while I loved the orient and luster, I didn't like the off-round shapes.

You could always order a strand of each, try them on, and send back the one you don't like, too.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm going to do what BWeaves suggested and order a few different one and return the ones I don't want. I feel bad because it's basically between 4 different choices right now....7.5-8-mm white FW pearls, 7.5-8mm white Freshadama pearls, 7-8mm white metallic FW pearls, and 8-8.5mm white metallic FW pearls. I just from pictures so I think in-person will have to be it. PP seems ok with me ordering so many and returning (I asked because I feel like this is obnoxious!), so I think that's what I'll do.

Now though, I'm stuck on trying to figure out what overtone I want. I'm Asian - black hair and light skinned. I honestly have no clue what skin undertone I have though, which is making it difficult for me to pick what pearl overtone I'd like. I've read all the tricks about find out your skin undertone, and I still don't know. I think I look good in both cool and warm colors...I tend to favor jewel tones, but I think that's because I just like those colors better, not necessarily that they look better on me. I know this isn't anything to go off of, but any thoughts or recommendations on what overtone would be best?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Again, ask PP. They have experience. Hisano at PP is Asian and she could tell you what overtones she prefers.

You also, if you're ordering different sizes anyway, have one set with one type of color and one set with the other type of color.

Odds are the size you want and the color you want might not be in the same strand, but does it really make a difference if you're going to send 3 or 4 necklaces back? You can always have them send you the combination you really want once you've seen them all. They're in the online business. They have no problem with you ordering and returning as they know you'll be a loyal customer if you're happy with the final results.

I'm white with a somewhat yellowish tone to my skin, no tan.
I have natural white Hanadamas which are blazing white.
I have silvery Freshadamas which have more of a South Sea pearl white look to them.
I have pinked akoyas.
I have blue baroque akoyas.
I have ivory colored fake pearls.
I honestly love them all. I don't think one color looks better than the other. I just match the overtone to my clothing.

Just some color examples. Pinked akoyas in the middle, then blue akoyas, then natural white Hanadamas on the outside.
You can really see the color difference between pinked and white. The pink overtone blends in with my skin, and the silver white contrasts and stands out.

img_0406.jpg

Silver overtone Freshadamas.

img_0373_0.jpg

Creamy akoyas.

img_0474.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
OOO, I've had another thought. Don't try to match your skin. Match your teeth.

Here's Queen Elizabeth II. Her pearls are ivory colored and so are her teeth.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/27/article-2569332-1BE1AFCE00000578-104_306x423.jpg

Queen Margarethe. White pearls but yellow teeth. A bit jarring.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/e3/ce/a7e3ced767bfb426a68c9da47ff9865b.jpg

Diana. White pearls, white teeth.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/df818f6cf670180959bce26e7880a92a/tumblr_nmxzblJRFu1usi7reo1_500.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, not so sure about that, BWeaves. My pearls are whiter; let's just say they are aspirational for my "pearly whites." :lol:

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you for all of the photos! I did talk to PP about what might be the best overtone for me, but they kept it pretty general - really just saying that people of certain skin tones tend to favor certain overtones (ex: rose overtones for fair people). It helped slightly - I considered my self light...darker than fair, not quite medium, but I'm so indecisive and so concerned with making the "right" choice that I still couldn't really figure it out. I'm leaning toward silver or silver-rose overtones though. At this point I have 5 contenders. :oops: I'll be deciding between:

- 7.5-8mm white FW pearls
- 7.5-8mm Freshadama pearls
- 7-8mm white metallic FW pearls
- 8-8.5mm white metallic FW pearls
- 8.5-9mm white FW pearls
(all 18 inches)

The 7.5-8mm white FW pearls are already ordered. I ordered the set at the beginning of the week before I really started to delve into my pearl research. I'm thinking that I'll ask for two necklaces in silver-rose overtones and two in silver overtones for the remaining strands I plan to order. I thought about asking for one in ivory overtones as well, but I don't seem to be as drawn to ivory in all the pictures I've seen...hoping I don't regret that down the line though! I am a bit embarrassed by the sheer number I'm ordering and will eventually be returning, but it's so hard to make a decision when you don't have enough knowledge/experience to really know what you want. All that being said though, I'm excited to be on my way to finding the perfect pearls for me!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about off-round?

There reason I'm asking is that it looks like the AAA grade is out of stock in the 8-8.5mm white metallics, so I guess you must be ordering the AA+ ones in that size? These will be even less round than the AAAs are. Just a consideration.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Please post pics!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Don't be embarrassed about ordering a bunch of different strands. They're an online business. That's how they do business. I've done exactly what you are doing now. It's how I always end up happy with my final choice. There's nothing worse than ordering one thing, and then keeping it and regretting it.

By the way, I do this with clothing companies, too. I order a ton of stuff at one time. Same item, different colors and two different sizes. The mailing charge is the same for one item or a dozen, if it's all on the same order. Then I try them all on and send back what doesn't fit or suit me. Sometimes I send it all back. It beats ordering one item. Deciding it doesn't fit. Sending it back, then getting a second size. Then deciding I really wanted to see the other color. Doesn't make sense to me to do it one at a time. By the time the big lot of stuff is sent back, my credit card will be credited, and I won't have paid anything but a bit of shipping expense. I figure shipping cost is equivalent to my gas for driving all over town, so I don't worry about it. Plus, sometimes I luck out and get free shipping. But anyway, my point is, I'm not embarrassed to order a lot or send it back. It's how the good online stores do business. I just make sure that everything gets sent back promptly and in exactly the same condition it was sent to me. Nicely folded and back in its bags with all tags still attached, so they can resell it as new. I don't do business with any vendor that doesn't have a good return policy. Because I will buy more from someone who will accept my returns because I know I won't get stuck with something I don't like.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
BWeaves, thanks you for the reassurance! I feel like it's obnoxious to place such a large order only to return, but you're right - it's how they do business, and in the long run, I know I'll be going back to them because they do offer just a generous return policy.

Pearlsngems - good question, and thank you for pointing that out! I *think* I'm OK with off round, as long as they look round when worn. I'm basing this off of my current strand, which are definitely off round pearls, but I still like how they look on the neck. In general, I think my pearl preferences will be luster, size, and then shape, in that order. Of course, that being said, I've never actually seen round or near round pearls in person, so shape may end up being more important to me than I think. I guess I'll have to wait and see what I think when I get them.

Seaurchin - I will definitley be posting pictures and asking for opinions! I'll probably start a separate thread for pics and a poll when I get them...unless it would be preferable to keep them in this thread?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results