shape
carat
color
clarity

Are egl diamonds really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D.V.M.

Rough_Rock
Are egl diamonds really that bad?

What can you trust on an EGL cert? The weight, cut, clarity, color?
I have purchased a EGL cert diamond and now am getting nervous because of all the negativity on the board. To me the clarity looked right but the cut and color are hard to judge for a newb. Can I be reasonable sure the data is right?

I feel comfortable with the dealer because my father has known him for years. I got the feeling he prefers EGL.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
The certificate is like an ID tag. It describes the diamond. It gives you the values of the Four C's which is something most of us cannot determine by ourselves. The certificate is not a statement of value nor should it be regarded as some sort of diploma or symbol of quality. To me, the certificate is used mostly to distinguish between diamonds under consideration for purchase.

I get the impression that many are trying to buy a diamond without getting any outside help. This must be the reason why people continue to ask, "Is this certificate better than that one"? One should not purchase an expensive gem without the assistance of an independent appraiser. The independent appraiser can tell if the certificate (no matter who issued it) has exaggerated or mis-stated the characteristics of the diamond.

Once a gem that seems a good candidate for purchase has been selected and sent to the independent appraiser, the issuer of the certificate really becomes sort of irrelevant. What now matters is if you like the gem and the independent appraiser's evaluation of it is satisfactory to you.

D.V.M.

Rough_Rock
Can you, or anyone, suggest a good place to get an independent appraisal in the Boston area?

I did feel comfortable and spent a lot of time looking at the diamond. My question came out of seeing all the negativity on this board about EGL. This diamond actually looked better to me than several GIA's I saw on the same day. I am however a novice and need to rely on the dealer and cert for guidance.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Can you, or anyone, suggest a good place to get an independent appraisal in the Boston area?
----------------

[/u]

Greentree

Rough_Rock
By the way, you have to pay for an appraisal. The fee is ordinarily based on the weight of the diamond being appraised. This means you must take into consideration the purchase price of the diamond before deciding if an appraisal is required. A purchase of, say, $500, probably isn't worth the trouble. A purchase of $2000 or greater probably warrants an independent appraisal. The amount at which an independent appraisal is warranted varies according to your financial resources. Jewelry should be purchased with discretionary income (money you can spend any way you want). If the expenditure represents a really big bite out of your discretionary income, get an independent appraisal.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond grading papers, letters of the alphabet and numbers, do not make the DIAMOND. The diamond is what it is, no matter what the paper may say. Diamond grading is an art and not total science. There are differences of opinion and different labs use somewhat differing standards.

Even labs that attempt to use the GIA standards vary from their perfect use. This applies even to the GIA-GTL which is the lab most of you know... All they can do is make the best possible attempt to use the standards of the GIA system.

Never confuse one thing. It is the diamond you are buying. The paper, the certificate, is not the most important part. You buy a diamond because you want to give someone a wonderful gift. You want to do a good job and make them as happy as your budget will allow. You don't want to be fooled or ripped-off.

Buying a diamond and relying on the grading paper ought to be simple, but it is just not so easy. There are pitfalls. You need to be aware that all grading reports are not identical and that you ought to seek advice to protect you own interests. This is especially true when you are spending what amounts to a lot of money and that is dependent on how much money you have.

When the bucks are important to you, then take the time to be sure the diamond is the right one and the best one you can buy. Do it BEFORE you make a final choice and then never regret your decision.. Being impulsive is a key ingredient to becoming unhappy shortly after a purchase.
:read:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results