shape
carat
color
clarity

Are clarity enhanced stones a good investment? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Is there anyone out there that can tell me the difference between an AGL, EGL, GIA appraisal?? is there a huge difference? is one more lenient than the other when grading a stone? which one of these certificates carry more value? or is that possible?

Thanks Christine

natasha

Rough_Rock
I am actually deciding if I am going to purchase a 2.51 marquise. A friend of a friend is selling hers, the apraisl is $10,000. She is selling it for $3,000. It is huge. decisions! decisions! Let me know what u do!
confused.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
is this a good purchase for the money? are they that beautiful as
they say?
-----------

Clarity enhanced diamonds run the gamut of value and beauty, just like any category of diamonds. Beautiful stones at good prices are out there to be had, just as ugly stones at inflated prices are also out there.

From the strictly speaking "investment" standpoint, I would categorize clarity enhanced stones as not being as good "investments" as non-clarity enhanced, because they have a "problem".

Problem stones always appeal to a smaller market than non-problem stones, and are therefore less liquid.

If possible resale is a big factor in your thinking, I would advise going non-clarity enhanced. If getting a beautiful diamond at a bargain is the main factor in your thinking, I would say a clarity enhanced diamond is perfectly okay.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
You will also want to find out what type of clarity enhancement it is. Laser drilling seems to be less of a problem than fracture filling.

The other question is what you had in mind for how you would wear it. Because fracture filling raises durability issues, I think these stones are better off in earrings or pendants, rather than in rings where they will get banged from time to time.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Inclusions and fractures are "hidden" by using a resin that hardens to a refractive index similar to diamond. Meaning, the light will bounce off the hardened resin very similar to actual diamond crystal. Enhancement contributes to durability issues. Definitely, where an enhanced diamond will be worn is a consideration. Pendants and earrings would not be as much a problem as considering a ring.

Keep in mind, that every time you have the diamond worked on you need to declare the enhancement and type (fracture filled. laser drilled). Clarity enhanced diamonds cannot withstand a jeweler's torch, steam cleaning, and acid treatment. Also, the enhancement may need to be redone in the future as the resin can discolor over time.

Basically, you need to consider how you intend to wear the diamond, the issues of future handling, and compare your price point and size/color/clarity preferences. As commented before, clarity enhanced diamonds do have a smaller market if you add resale factor to your decision making process.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results