shape
carat
color
clarity

Are all SI1s eye-clean when set in a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
As in the subject.

I read somewhere that anything VS2 and above is definitely eye-clean, but that this may not necessarily be the case for SI1. The SI1 diamond I''m looking at has a big cloud right in the center of it (when viewed under 10X magnification) - is this likely to be visible to the naked eye? Or is it hard to generalise?

Thanks again!

barry

Shiny_Rock
Do not generalize. It depends on the Cut of the diamond.

Inclusions in beautifully cut and proportioned SI-clarity grade diamonds tend to be masked due to their greater light output and will face-up eye-clean as compared to
their mediocre cut counterparts.

What is the cut-quality of the diamond you're considering?

Barry
www.superbcert.com

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,
Please do assume that all VS2 diamonds are eye clean which goes double for SI1 diamonds. I have seen more than two VS2 GIA graded diamonds with a visible single black inclusion through the crown. A large cloud under the table may not be eye visible as long as the particles are white and not large. If you are viewing it with a loupe and know exactly where the cloud is... use you eye in different light or get someone with better eyesight to look at it.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From the advice I had gotten when I was looking for my stone, a cloud is actually a very good inclusion to have as they are always white. I say "always" because thats the advice I had gotten back then. I have since heard that over & over. What you need to do is get confirmation from the seller that the stone is indeed with white inclusions & not black. Mine is SI-1, ideal H&A proportions, non-branded, & I have NEVER seen the inclusions with my eyes. I even had difficulty with my loop the 1st time trying to find it. Now I know where it is, but it still takes some effort to find it & my cloud is under the table. Again, makes no difference to the sparkle or to the clear look to the stone. I was assured by Jan (@DBOF) that despite the stone being SI-1, you could NOT see the inclusions & that they were white. I did get the stone checked out here in Canada, so if you have to, send it to an independent appraiser. Mind you, its your eyes that have to say its nice or not. Why spend more on what you cant see? Put it into the ring itself. I am going around & around. I'll stop now. haha

Judy
twirl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Many SI 1s aren't completely eye-clean. Is the cloud visible to the naked eye when the stone is loose?? I don't think there will be a big difference between visibility in loose and set cause the inclusion is in the center of the stone and not on the side...

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results