shape
carat
color
clarity

Are all GIA cerfied diamonds laser inscribed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Simple question:

Are all diamonds that have a GIA grading report also laser inscribed by the GIA for identification purposes?

What if it didn't have 'laser inscription registry' on the report?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The possibly non-intuitive pattern, I believe, is that smaller (under 1 carat) GIA stones, will come a) with a less detailed report, and b) will be inscribed. Larger stones may not have the inscription as a pattern, and their report will be more detailed.

But check me.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
No, not all GIA diamonds are laser inscribed last time I checked. Mine isn''t
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If i am not mistaken, all dossiers (small size report), and up to 0.99 carat. come with an automatic laser inscription that shows the report number.
Larger size diamonds do not come with laser inscription (only upon request.)

Both dossiers and regular reports (large ones) have the necessary information to identify and fully grade the diamond.

The only exception (as far as i know) is in the ''fancy color category'', one can chose a full report (with all the information), or a report that will mainly point out the shape, weight, color hue or shade, and if it is a natural color or treated color. it will not touch the subject of clarity or cut...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GIA offers several different grading products. The ‘diamond dossier’ is generally used for stones below a carat and it includes laser inscription as part of the service so they will all have a number. The tradeoff is that this report doesn’t have a plotting diagram. The ‘diamond quality report’, which is the one generally issued on bigger diamonds offers inscription as an option that is available for an extra fee so some will have it and other won’t. It will depend on what the client requested.

If there is an inscription already present by someone else when GIA examines the stone, they will mention it in the comments section of the report. It’s also possible to have the inscription added after GIA examines the stone, either by GIA or an assortment of other providers. Obviously, this wouldn’t be mentioned on the report.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results