shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Akoya pearls not great?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering gifting a dear friend a bracelet that is AAA Akoya pearls for Christmas. The problem is, she knows pearls and I dont. I know its the thought that counts but will she think they're "gross"? It's about $600 which is what I wanted to spend on her. What do you think, not even worth it, or still a nice gift? Thank you all!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with pearls is that there isn't agreement on what A/AA/AAA, etc, means. So a lot of this depends on the vendor. Can you share who you plan to buy from?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it sounds a very thoughtful and beautiful gift
not sure why you would think she would ever think that AAA Akoya would ever be gross because they are far from it

i think you are way over thinking this
akoya have a bead in the middle that the nacre grows around
the luster will be lovely
perhaps something has been lost in translation but i would not gift anyone a $600 gift if i thought they were so shallow as to think any gift of mine was going to be gross

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Using Pearl Paradise as an example (Current prices):
Hanadama 7-7.5mm bracelet = $1700
GIA certified hanadama 7-7.45mm = $2,295 ---- Note the "Excellent" Luster on cert
"AAA" Akoya bracelet 7-7.5mm = $489.

That is a very large difference in price between categories.
Look at this GIA video to see what Excellent luster means. Then compare it to the other categories. I don't know how the "AAA" bracelet will be compared to the strands in the video but I would not expect the "Excellent" Luster level shown.

My personal opinion is that you may want to consider a non-akoya gift or a beautiful gem akoya stud earring?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I guess just because I don’t know a lot about pearls I didn’t know if this is almost like an insulting gift to someone who likes pearls

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess just because I don’t know a lot about pearls I didn’t know if this is almost like an insulting gift to someone who likes pearls

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
why on earth would it be insulting consideing you are here asking questions

but that bracelet is most likely dyed to get that black colour
why not look at Tahiatians

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
why on earth would it be insulting consideing you are here asking questions

but that bracelet is most likely dyed to get that black colour
why not look at Tahiatians

OK thank you this is exactly the stuff I don’t know lol I will see if I can find some thing in my price range- thank you for taking the time to answer!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
OK thank you this is exactly the stuff I don’t know lol I will see if I can find some thing in my price range- thank you for taking the time to answer!

The biggest issue I would have with those is the dye to give those colors. Akoya's don't naturally come in those kind of greens, deep blues, etc. I would not buy that bracelet.

For those type of colors, Tahitians are definitely the way to go. You can also consider Baroque Tahitian shapes to get the price down a bit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would spend 600 USD on the best single Akoya pearl pendant that I could find, as the budget would not be sufficient for a nice strand of Akoya necklace, IMHO.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alternatives. I really like the freshadama pearls from PP.

Here are some options within (or close to) your budget:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

I would consider buying the Baroque Tahitian NECKLACE that this PSer is selling for $385 (Old @yssie piece bought at $815 when pearls were cheaper). A baroque Tahitian bracelet at Pearl Paradise now is $585-ish, so you get a great deal for something that is 15+ inches versus a 7 inch bracelet.

You can even break it up into two bracelets, gift one to your friend and keep a matching bracelet (or gift to someone else).

The pink freshadama set they are selling is also at a very attractive price. I'm not a huge pink/peach fan but I was tempted when I saw the price.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Akoya pearls are pretty great when they're of fine quality.

I agree with others who recommended earrings for your budget. Earrings are more versatile than a bracelet, which tends to get banged around a lot. Pearls are delicate.

Check out Annie Case for pretty designs that are not just studs.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you on FB? Pearl Paradise have been doing livestream sales and the one last night had a couple of unusual things that I’m sure any pearl aficionado would love. There was a gorgeous metallic huge freshwater pearl bracelet (CG 25) which was sold, but I’m sure they will have more in the vault. It was around $450. They also had some strands of teeny but lustrous bead nucleated freshwaters, can’t remember the sale number but also around $450. If your pal knows pearls she will likely already have the staples like studs, I would imagine. They seemed pretty happy to go into their vault, and were super helpful with customers last night, I’m sure they’d be delighted to help you out.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
The biggest issue I would have with those is the dye to give those colors. Akoya's don't naturally come in those kind of greens, deep blues, etc. I would not buy that bracelet.

For those type of colors, Tahitians are definitely the way to go. You can also consider Baroque Tahitian shapes to get the price down a bit.

Thank you! I’m learning so much!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Are you on FB? Pearl Paradise have been doing livestream sales and the one last night had a couple of unusual things that I’m sure any pearl aficionado would love. There was a gorgeous metallic huge freshwater pearl bracelet (CG 25) which was sold, but I’m sure they will have more in the vault. It was around $450. They also had some strands of teeny but lustrous bead nucleated freshwaters, can’t remember the sale number but also around $450. If your pal knows pearls she will likely already have the staples like studs, I would imagine. They seemed pretty happy to go into their vault, and were super helpful with customers last night, I’m sure they’d be delighted to help you out.

Thank you! I’m not on Facebook, and I know she specifically told me she loves salt water pearls so I will look more, I love the look of the smaller mm also! Thank you!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Akoya pearls are pretty great when they're of fine quality.

I agree with others who recommended earrings for your budget. Earrings are more versatile than a bracelet, which tends to get banged around a lot. Pearls are delicate.

Check out Annie Case for pretty designs that are not just studs.

I agree I didn’t think of that originally! I like DK suggestion of a pendant ! Thank you!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

I would consider buying the Baroque Tahitian NECKLACE that this PSer is selling for $385 (Old @yssie piece bought at $815 when pearls were cheaper). A baroque Tahitian bracelet at Pearl Paradise now is $585-ish, so you get a great deal for something that is 15+ inches versus a 7 inch bracelet.

You can even break it up into two bracelets, gift one to your friend and keep a matching bracelet (or gift to someone else).

The pink freshadama set they are selling is also at a very attractive price. I'm not a huge pink/peach fan but I was tempted when I saw the price.

I saw this but wasn’t sure if baroque is a preference thing, like do some people not like the shape? I’ve only seen her wear round, because any pearl from yssie is going to be amazing!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Alternatives. I really like the freshadama pearls from PP.

Here are some options within (or close to) your budget:

Thank you! I never realized freshwater were also round:doh::doh: … Ug… I seriously didn’t know anything about pearls when I started!! Lol!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Inked You have a great budget and you’re a lovely friend!

Knowing that someone has a passion for something specific is both a curse and a blessing when it comes to gifting! On the one hand it’s an easy “win”, on the other… Choosing something they don’t already have and that they’ll definitely enjoy and wear…

May I throw out another suggestion? Instead of #NormalPearls how about something by Little H? This is Hisano’s line, Pearl Paradise is selling the pieces now. There are some beautiful and unique options in your budget:

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
@Inked You have a great budget and you’re a lovely friend!

Knowing that someone has a passion for something specific is both a curse and a blessing when it comes to gifting! On the one hand it’s an easy “win”, on the other… Choosing something they don’t already have and that they’ll definitely enjoy and wear…

May I throw out another suggestion? Instead of #NormalPearls how about something by Little H? This is Hisano’s line, Pearl Paradise is selling the pieces now. There are some beautiful and unique options in your budget:

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! Love love love… it’s like you said I want a nod to her love of pearls but how many black peal pieces can you have … I bought her this:

IMG_3187.jpeg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you sooo much everyone!!!!!! I learned so much about pearls the last 2 days!!

That was exactly what I needed @yssie ! I don’t know of the pieces are one of a kind or I just got the last one because it says sold out now… thank you all for taking the time to help me!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you sooo much everyone!!!!!! I learned so much about pearls the last 2 days!!

That was exactly what I needed @yssie ! I don’t know of the pieces are one of a kind or I just got the last one because it says sold out now… thank you all for taking the time to help me!!!

Hisano hand-made all of them personally! And she made very few of each type so totally plausible that you bought the last one, and there’s probably only a small handful of others in the world!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the one constant with pearls is our @yssie :kiss2:
im sure your friend will love this @Inked :kiss2:

have you not been temptered by something over the last two days to get something for yourself?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
the one constant with pearls is our @yssie :kiss2:
im sure your friend will love this @Inked :kiss2:

have you not been temptered by something over the last two days to get something for yourself?

Omg… I’m on ban island…. I bought myself 2 things - Van Cleef magic bracelet that I wanted soooo bad from a consigner in NYC, and a watch…. The watch I have wanted for 15 years…. The one my ex kept saying he’d buy me and never did…. 15 years and I still wanted the same one..: So I bought it for myself! But I am WAY on ban island now lol!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg… I’m on ban island…. I bought myself 2 things - Van Cleef magic bracelet that I wanted soooo bad from a consigner in NYC, and a watch…. The watch I have wanted for 15 years…. The one my ex kept saying he’d buy me and never did…. 15 years and I still wanted the same one..: So I bought it for myself! But I am WAY on ban island now lol!!
good for you=)2
you put so much thought into your friends gift you deserved something for yourself after all that worry

...and as its your thread
(no one will mind)
can we see a picture ?

being on ban island sux :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results