shape
carat
color
clarity

are 4 c''s important in side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laxgirl4493

Rough_Rock
I have my center stone. Now I want to add 2 round side stones .30-.35ct each. Are the 4'c still important ? Whats the most important thing to consider when looking at side stones? thanks

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
yeah, they are still important. depending on the cut quality of the center stone, you may want to also have well cut side stones, otherwise they may look REALLY "dead." you won't need H&A but, i would try to stay as close to the same cut quality as your budget will allow. I would also make sure to try and get stones that are 1-2 grades lower on color, to help the center stone stand out a little more, but not too much color or they may look funny. as for clarity. i am sure eyeclean Sl1 or even a hard to see SI2 would be fine..most probably won't look at your sidestones too closely. Really for the clarity grade it is your personal preference.

just some thoughts.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Sylvesterii:

I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. .30 - .35 ct side stones are not "accent size diamonds" and we have found that our average customer wants the side stones to be the same or one color difference than the center stone. This becomes even more important as the side stones become larger.

The clarity is usually less important, although we do have some customers who insist that their side stones be exactly the same color/clarity as the center diamond. In addition we have found that many customers who are buying a very well cut diamond want the same cut quality for the side stones.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 half carat princess cut side stones on my ring (center is a 1.13 princess) and one of them is not cut well, too shallow, very dark, weird facets, in other words it's "dead". It looks terrible! So I am changing my setting and choosing a new shape for the sidestones (trillions) in the .35 carat range, & my jeweler is looking for similar clarity and a color within one shade of my center. how they are cut, that color, the clarity, and the carats (for symmetry and balance) are so important. Otherwise you end up with an unnattractive ring that completely kills the beauty of the center stone. I THOUGHT I hated my center stone after I set it in my "wedding setting" (it was originally a solitaire when he proposed) until I saw my new setting today with the new stones, and I again felt the fluttery excitement of the newly engaged! It makes ALL the difference!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results