shape
carat
color
clarity

Are 3 pair of diamond studs Overkill

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
So I have two pair of diamond studs already. I am considering getting around .46 ctw pair to wear in my second hole when I’m wearing my hoops or pearls. I feel like my current smaller pair 1.10 ctw don’t work well with my pearls. Also I would like to leave these in ear to keep hole open when I don’t feel like wearing earrings. My sissy and BFF both think I’m crazy. Would love to hear your opinions. Also I would set in yellow martinis

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes. But who cares? Do what you like!

Are five engagement rings too many? Are five emerald rings too many? Yes. But I could own more than ten of each most likely. We also go through phases.

The only thing I don’t get is why downgrade? But then I don’t have multiple holes. I am also going through a studs madness phase. Just the other day I considered a second pair of .8 ctw studs because one is modern the second would be OECs so do I think one can have too many studs? Heck no!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. But who cares? Do what you like!

Are five engagement rings too many? Are five emerald rings too many? Yes. But I could own more than ten of each most likely. We also go through phases.

The only thing I don’t get is why downgrade? But then I don’t have multiple holes. I am also going through a studs madness phase. Just the other day I considered a second pair of .8 ctw studs because one is modern the second would be OECs so do I think one can have too many studs? Heck no!

So my second hole piercing is less than two years old. I need to keep something in these priecing so they don’t close when not wearing my smaller 1.10 ctw in these holes. I want them small not to distract when wearing hoops or pearls. Also after this last earring upgrade I have got to keep cost down. I don’t want to pay over 1k. I can’t tell DH because he will flip out.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I will be of no help because I have 3 pair. I'm a total enabler!! I have limited lobe space so my smallest pair is tiny 2.5mm because I hate the second hole to be empty even if I'm wearing something substantial up front. I am thinking about upgrading my biggest pair (4.5mm) to something just over 1ctw in a bezel. Then I'd put the 4mm in bezels too. I don't think I could do much more with my baby lobes and two holes.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I will be of no help because I have 3 pair. I'm a total enabler!! I have limited lobe space so my smallest pair is tiny 2.5mm because I hate the second hole to be empty but if I'm wearing something substantial up front I need something really small. I am thinking about upgrading my biggest pair to something just over 1ctw in a bezel. I don't think I could do much more with my baby lobes and two holes.

Yes you understand my pain. My current pairs of studs are large and just don’t work for simple looks. Your lucky to have small lobes. That’s the best because smaller stones still look massive

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yes you understand my pain. My current pairs of studs are large and just don’t work for simple looks. Your lucky to have small lobes. That’s the best because smaller stones still look massive

If I had bigger lobes I'd have at least one more hole, lol. Can I count that as a cost savings to roll into getting that bezel pair? :lol:
I have tiny studs in three shades of gold too, ball and disc shapes...I probably need tiny pearls!!

I told you I'd be an enabler, lol.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
If I had bigger lobes I'd have at least one more hole, lol. Can I count that as a cost savings to roll into getting that bezel pair? :lol:
I have tiny studs in three shades of gold too, ball and disc shapes...I probably need tiny pearls!!

I told you I'd be an enabler, lol.

I’m all for biggest diamond studs possible and I love the rationale. Let’s count the savings and go for it Lol.

I have gold balls and pearls but not multiples. That’s why I need the third studs. Double pearls would beautiful

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have 3 pair but i have 3 pairs of holes
can anyone ever have too many diamonds ?
um nooooo !
looking forward to ear shots

I can see how that makes sense, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all! But if you want to save money and not get anything very expensive, you could also consider a plain WG ball/flat circle stud - that would be very inexpensive and would serve your purpose of keeping the hole open while not distracting from your bigger/main earring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely would want little diamonds for the second hole, so yes, you need those. Then if you find yourself never wearing the 1 ctw pair in the main hole, sell them or use them as side stones for a ring, or something. I think you'll want to wear your new larger studs most of the time!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go much smaller than ~0.5ctw for those second holes. I’ve got 0.1ctw (in bezels, so they probably face up like ~0.2ctw pronged) that I think would be lovely for this purpose - drops of sparkle on the ears to complement the larger “main attractions” right below.

Last edited:

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I can see how that makes sense, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all! But if you want to save money and not get anything very expensive, you could also consider a plain WG ball/flat circle stud - that would be very inexpensive and would serve your purpose of keeping the hole open while not distracting from your bigger/main earring!
I feel like diamonds will give more flexibility. I just want to keep them on budget

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely would want little diamonds for the second hole, so yes, you need those. Then if you find yourself never wearing the 1 ctw pair in the main hole, sell them or use them as side stones for a ring, or something. I think you'll want to wear your new larger studs most of the time!

This sounds like good idea. I’m going to set in white gold so they match other two pairs just in case

I feel like diamonds will give more flexibility. I just want to keep them on budget

Sure! I can understand the usefulness of a small diamond stud - I think you’ll wear it everyday!

Actually, now that I think about it, a small diamond stud (The ~0.5tcw you mentioned) plus your 3.4tcw studs would be super wearable, and you could then convert your mid-size stud (1.1ctw) into a different style - like a drop earring perhaps? If you find that you’re not wearing that size often enough?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I’d go much smaller than ~0.5ctw for those second holes. I’ve got 0.1ctw (in bezels, so they probably face up like ~0.2ctw) that I think would be lovely for this purpose - drops of sparkle on the ears to complement the larger “main attractions” right below.

I’m not a fan of bezels. I’m now wondering what’s smallest I can get in martini setting with great sparkle . I saw some on IDJ but I’m not familiar with the sparkle on their studs at this size.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Sure! I can understand the usefulness of a small diamond stud - I think you’ll wear it everyday!

Actually, now that I think about it, a small diamond stud (The ~0.5tcw you mentioned) plus your 3.4tcw studs would be super wearable, and you could then convert your mid-size stud (1.1ctw) into a different style - like a drop earring perhaps? If you find that you’re not wearing that size often enough?

I agree it becomes wearable because now I feel like it’s a bit much everyday for both pairs of my current studs. I like the look but maybe more for going out. I could never admit that to DH or my sissy. Now I’m trying to decide if I should stick to BN or try IDJ for them. IDJ has them cheaper but I don’t know what the sparkle will be on them

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do what you want! :mrgreen:

I only have one hole in each ear, and it has not stopped me from getting more earrings!

Same applies to jewellery in general, in that I don't really need anymore jewellery, however, it has not stopped me from wanting and buying more!

DK :lol-2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not if you wear them...

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
So I had Nordstrom notes for $260. I found pair of Maria Tash diamond Trinity earrings for $330. I ordered them and only had to pay $89 dollars. Super cute and fills immediate need for second hole when not wearing studs.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's none of their business unless they're paying for them.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Are lab grown diamonds ok to purchase. Or is it ok since they are so small?

Yes, they are real diamonds and have the same chemical structure as earth mined (same hardness, toughness, and stability) and the same reflective properties. The only difference is that they were made in a lab. This would only have impact if you appreciate the natural historical origin of earth mined diamonds. Some could argue that lab diamonds are more sustainable due to their smaller environmental footprint. They can also offer a significant value.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I can see their side of the argument... and you can see ours. :Up_to_something: Having more means you won’t get bored!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results