shape
carat
color
clarity

Are .26 pear sidestone too small for a 1.5RB?

sweetlotus

Rough_Rock
Hello forum members!

I have been a long time lurker and b/c of this wonderful, wonderful forum, when it came time for BF to buy me a ring, I was able to tell him exactly what I wanted - a BGD H&A diamond and LM setting.

We have already bought a 1.5 RB from BGD and the stone is currently being set Leon's classic 3-stone setting w/ 2 pear sides and double claw prongs. I went w/ BF to the meeting when we discussed the setting (or rather, Leon pretty much suggested what he thought would be the best setting for my stone).

Anyway, at the time, Leon had a pair of .3 pear sides. The pairs did not match my center so Leon said he would source more pears for me. BF indicated that he didn't really sides that were too big. I don't remember if I said anything in response to that :nono:

So the next day, BF when back and Leon had sourced three pairs of sides - .47 tcw, .52 tcw, and .60 tcw. BF chose the .52 tcw. I have been poring the threads looking for comments on proportions and whatnot and have read that most PSers prefer a 2:1 ratio or a 3:1 ratio. Other people say that Leon is a master of proportions and to trust his judgment. The problem is, he didn't pick the sides - my BF did!

Now I can't stop worrying that the sides will look too small compared to my center. I love love love the look of ALL the LM 3-stone settings that I've seen PSers wearing, but their sides are all bigger!

Please help either reassure me.. or give me advise - should I call Leon and see if it's not too late to change?

sweetlotus

Rough_Rock
This is a pic BF snapped of the sides w/ the center. Does the center look too big in relation??

Oh, and if this makes any difference, my ring size is 3.5.

with pear sides sides.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is all personnel preference but I think they look lovely together.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I tend to like smaller side-stones in a 3-stone ring--it really makes the center stone pop. I think your combination looks lovely.

I have two .20 pears flanking my 1.5 center asscher, but there are also tiny bezeled rounds on either side of the pear, so it doesn't have the same look as the three stone.

If LM likes the size of the pears, I would trust his eye. He's got a knack for finding balance in his 3 and 5 stone rings.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I personally think they look absolutely perfect together. I do not like large sidestones in 3-stone rings at all. However, its a matter of personal preference so it all boils down to what you prefer.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think they look great and make your center "pop". LM would say something if he didn't feel they were a good match, from what others here have said. No worries, it's going to be gorgeous!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think the 'ratio' applies to round side stones (but again, all personal preference. I like smaller side stones).

I think it looks great!

sweetlotus

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who responded! I definitely feel better now. I can't help but obsess over every little detail while I'm waiting for the ring to be made and wondering if I could have made it better. It's probably not healthy...

NewEnglandLady, your ring sounds lovely. Can I see a pic of it?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was also thinking of Kaleigh's gorgeous ring. I looove the ratio of center to sides on her ring. Here's a quick shot of mine--but again, this is an asscher and not really a three stone.

asscherpears.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results