shape
carat
color
clarity

Are 1 mm diamonds in a thin band too thin?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am trying to figure out what engagement ring and wedding band to get and I am having a hard time. I have been in love with Whiteflash's Petite Open Cathedral setting for a few years now. I might have an allergy to nickel, but I'm not positive about it.

I have talked to Whiteflash and another company about custom making a set like this in platinum and the other company has told me that they will not do 1 point diamonds in such a thin band, as they don't think it's sturdy enough for every day wear. The lowest they will go is 2 pointers. Do you think they're right? It's not that I don't trust the other company, who is well respect on pricescope, but I can't help but think I would find posts here about problems with the Petite Open Cathedral setting if it was too thin.

I have been tempted to just try the white gold set from Whiteflash because getting platinum and having it custom made just makes it so costly, but now I'm worried that their set is too thin.

Also, has anyone ever been tested for metal allergies? If so, is it a pretty accurate test? I'm wondering if I should try to be tested before ordering a ring set.

The price of gold, platinum and diamonds keeps going up and I'm just not sure what to do. Help? Also, do you think a band like this would look too thin for a size 8.5 finger?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kindred|1305242498|2920100 said:
I am trying to figure out what engagement ring and wedding band to get and I am having a hard time. I have been in love with Whiteflash's Petite Open Cathedral setting for a few years now. I might have an allergy to nickel, but I'm not positive about it.

I have talked to Whiteflash and another company about custom making a set like this in platinum and the other company has told me that they will not do 1 point diamonds in such a thin band, as they don't think it's sturdy enough for every day wear. The lowest they will go is 2 pointers. Do you think they're right? It's not that I don't trust the other company, who is well respect on pricescope, but I can't help but think I would find posts here about problems with the Petite Open Cathedral setting if it was too thin.

I have been tempted to just try the white gold set from Whiteflash because getting platinum and having it custom made just makes it so costly, but now I'm worried that their set is too thin.

Plat is softer than wg - in the sense that it is easier to bend out of shape, so a thinner ring in alloyed gold can hold its round shape better than a ring of the same size and thickness in plat. I would certainly trust their professional opinion on the limits.

Also, has anyone ever been tested for metal allergies? If so, is it a pretty accurate test? I'm wondering if I should try to be tested before ordering a ring set.

You can have a patch test done.. you can also inquire into white gold alloys that don't use nickel - palladium white gold, for example. It might cost a bit more as a specialty alloy, but it's hypoallergenic since it doesn't use nickel to whiten and from what I understand it won't require plating..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if 2mm is too thin to hold up to a lifetime of the usual wear and tear.

They are pretty but I cringe when I see them actually being worn, unless the wearer is royalty who just sits on a throne and never uses her hands.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the Petite Open Cathedral setting from WF is too thin, and I wonder why they offer it when WF is usually very conscientious about overly thin/fragile settings. :confused: That said, if you're really in love with it, I'd go for it. I'm sure they will stand behind their product if anything happens.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't think I'd risk going with a 1.5mm shank, and I really think it might look a little skimpy on any finger that is an above average size. 2mm is still thin but is just going to be more durable. So that would be my recommendation. Take a look at the hand shot of the Legato Sleek Line Pave. It is still very thin but it is 2mm.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I wear a 1mm diamond wedding band and I'm a size 9. There is no problem at all but for an ering setting a think it's really too thin.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting on WF's site might be very thick/high profile to compensate for its narrow width.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results