shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine size question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nasim Ahmad

Rough_Rock
Dear Friends,

I trust my letter finds all in the best of health, happiness and well-being. I recently came across an Aquamarine preform weighing about 250-carats (one piece). I figure it can facet to 200-carats+ maybe. Stone is entirely clean, and color is typical Aqua blue. My interest though is more towards the size. Is a 200-carat Aquamarine something special? I mean, I know Aquas can come in large sizes and the history books talk about the massive pieces found in Brazilian. But still, would like some counsel as to whether the size of this stone merits worth going after it.

Best regards,
Nasim

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have to wonder why it''s preformed, but not faceted. Sometimes if the stone has some internal imperfections, they will preform it, so that you can''t see inside very well. I have been burnt a few times by this, and now never buy preforms. Also, often the peform is not peformed to the correct angle, and you end up getting a much lower yeild than you think.
Typically Aquamarine is a stone that the value doesnt go up that much with size. Color is the big thing with aqua. I see in cut stones, the price going from $50/ct for very light goods, to $600/ct for fine darker blue.
If you can see the stone in person, you may want to dip it so you see into it better. A large Aqua with noticable flaws and veils would be discounted.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very large faceted aquamarines are not rare. "The Guide," a pricing publication used by many in the gem trade, says: "Large stones readily available. Prices may decrease above 25 carats." That''s the per-carat price, of course.

Another thing to bear in mind is that lab-made hydrothermal aquamarine has been on the market several years now. Flawless slabs up to 50 carats size and probably larger are readily available. I don''t know of any simple method of distinguishing it from natural aqua except for inclusions. I second Gene''s warning about the dangers of preforms.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nasim, after posting the above I realized who you are. You are probably more capable than most of judging the quality/nature of the subject stone.

If you do a search here there was a thread not long ago about a 578-carat cut aquamarine cut by John Sinkankas that''s now in the Smithsonian collection. A 200-carat stone wouldn''t be a record.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 9:34:01 AM
Author:Nasim Ahmad
My interest though is more towards the size. Is a 200-carat Aquamarine something special? I mean, I know Aquas can come in large sizes and the history books talk about the massive pieces found in Brazilian. But still, would like some counsel as to whether the size of this stone merits worth going after it.

Best regards,

Nasim
Hi Nasim. Large aquamarines are readily available, and aquamarine is one stone in which the price per carat begins to diminish on sizes larger than 25 carats.

Why? Think about it. They're not that rare mineralogically, and how many people want to wear a door stop? A 200 carat stone is too large for a ring stone, and most people would not choose to wear it even as a pendant stone. It becomes a pretty albatross, which people admire but nobody wants to buy. That's why so many get donated to museums. No one will buy them.

Your value and liquidity would be much better if you cut several 10 to 20 carat stones than one 200 carat. Or possibly a nice suite of stones- ring, pendant, earring & bracelet stones.

Then they'll sell. Ring size stones are the most liquid.

Nasim Ahmad

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gene, Richard M, and Richard Sherwood. I was never a fan of Aqua really, so never worked in that stone. The only thing that interested me somewhat was the size, but aside from that, nothing really.

Best regards,
Nasim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results