shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine RHR

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I loved having the PS community help me pick out my future engagement ring (purchased, now all I have to do is wait for the proposal!) and would love if you could help me again with purchasing an aquamarine RHR for my mom.

I'm finally finishing grad school and would love to give this to her as part of saying "Thank you!" for so many years of financial and emotional support. She loves colored stone rings and has always wanted an aquamarine (it's my sister's birthstone). Vintage/estate and new are both fine options. There's a beautiful ring on JewelsbyGrace but already sold :(

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/antique-die-struck-filigree-aquamarine-solitaire#.VzTg5ZMrLVo

I would LOVE to be able to incorporate rubies since that's my birthstone. This ring would be perfect (except it's $15,000 above budget!)

ringring.jpg

My budget is $1000 firm and I would love to stay below that if possible. Her ring size is ~4.5-5 (I'll double check) so I'm hoping I can get something at least in the 8mm range (or bigger!). I'm not particular about shape except that she doesn't prefer marquise shapes. Side stones would be a plus if I could afford it. She also has no preference between YG, WG or platinum.

She prefers chunkier jewelry (not dainty). While I know my budget will be a huge limiting factor, she likes jewelry like this:
ring_147.jpg

I know this is a really vague request but I know little about aquamarines/colored gemstones in general and am hoping all of you can help me!

Thanks in advance :)

Sherry

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like my diamond zone (MDZ) on eBay for nice but affordable settings. I found a few with rubies in them (although those won't necessarily be the ones you like the best, it was a place to start).

What about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SETTING-FRENCH-CUT-RUBY-ROUND-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-BLOOD-RED-ANTIQUE-STYLE-/401119094447?hash=item5d648fa6af:g:zHYAAOSwDwtUmepe

or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RED-RUBY-HALO-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-ENGAGEMENT-RING-ROUND-SETTING-14K-WG-/152087728281?hash=item2369229099

with this stone from Litnon:
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10480

Here's another setting from MDZ that has rubies in it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DIAMOND-RUBY-6mm-ART-DECO-SEMI-MOUNT-ENGAGEMENT-RING-SETTING-ROUND-14K-/152081803974?hash=item2368c82ac6:g:gFkAAOSwDwtUmlUp
But you'd have to ask them if they could modify it to fit a 6.5mm stone (which they almost 100% can, as they've customized settings for me multiple times with minimal extra cost).

I also really like this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-NATURAL-RUBY-HALO-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-SETTING-1-2ct-ROUND-VINTAGE-/172203413963?hash=item28181f91cb,,,, but it's another that you'd have to ask them about making it bigger for a larger stone.

Here's the link to their Ebay store with all their settings: http://stores.ebay.com/MyDiamondZone/Settings-Semi-Mounts-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=14736871&_sid=110520942&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

ETA: I just saw that you wanted something larger (8mm). Litnon has a few larger ones on their site under the aquamarine section: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=view&cat=1057 and also under the "Bargain Shoppe" section.

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm not sure about the halo although a ruby halo is very pretty.

The aquamarine you linked me to is $20. Is that correct or a mistake? I only have experience shopping for diamonds so am happily surprised!

Do you have any suggestions for vendors that might be able to both source and set the aquamarine for me? I think I prefer the three clustered side rubies with an emerald or pear cut aquamarine.

What do you think of this:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1743902042

I've never shopped with this site before- is it reputable?

Thanks!
Sherry

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sherryberrybear|1463088426|4030916 said:
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm not sure about the halo although a ruby halo is very pretty.

The aquamarine you linked me to is $20. Is that correct or a mistake? I only have experience shopping for diamonds so am happily surprised!

Do you have any suggestions for vendors that might be able to both source and set the aquamarine for me? I think I prefer the three clustered side rubies with an emerald cut aquamarine.

Thanks!
Sherry

haha, not a mistake! This chart is really helpful for understanding approximate prices per carat for different stones: http://www.gemval.com/chart.php?type=20.. That one from Litnon is relatively light (versus being BRIGHT BLUE), and lightly included, which discounts it a great deal. Plus it was in his "great deals" section which doesnt mean anything bad (just that he's likely had it for a while and wants to sell quickly).

I am fairly sure that MDZ can source gemstones for you without any problems (while I've used them multiple times to set my stones, I've never purchased stones from them, so I would just make sure to look at whatever they suggest before agreeing to it).

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Wow- GORGEOUS! Do you think that the setting would keep me in budget? The stone is a little more expensive than I think I'm comfortable with (I want to be able to get a nice setting).

I'll get in touch with MDZ and see what they can do. Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sherryberrybear|1463101271|4031020 said:
Wow- GORGEOUS! Do you think that the setting would keep me in budget? The stone is a little more expensive than I think I'm comfortable with (I want to be able to get a nice setting).

I'll get in touch with MDZ and see what they can do. Thanks!

I would advise you to contact Jeff Davies and ask if he could cut you a smaller stone to enable you to stay within budget.

Should be able to have a complete ring made with 14K gold with a smaller stone (Platinum will blow the budget for certain).

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw Multicoulor is on our preferred vendor list, so people have had good luck with them. I like that pear you posted!

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I contacted Jeff Davies and he said that the stone in the image below is available and would be within my budget ($700 total). It's a 7.8mm asscher cut that is eye clean. What do you think? What about compared to the pear shape that I linked above?

img_3273_2.jpg

Thanks again :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sherryberrybear|1463106873|4031065 said:
Thanks! I contacted Jeff Davies and he said that the stone in the image below is available and would be within my budget ($700 total). It's a 7.8mm asscher cut that is eye clean. What do you think? What about compared to the pear shape that I linked above?

img_3273_2.jpg

Thanks again :)

ohhh, pretty! So 700 total for a ring made in that style? I think in many ways it would be easier to do a one stop shop and get everything from JD. Is there a video of the stone?

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Yes- $700 total for the setting, rubies and aquamarine. I'm seeing if a video of the aquamarine is possible.

Where would he be shipping from/what time delay can I expect? I can't find contact information/addresses on his website.

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sherryberrybear|1463108284|4031078 said:
Yes- $700 total for the setting, rubies and aquamarine. I'm seeing if a video of the aquamarine is possible. Where would he be shipping from/what time delay can I expect? I can't find contact information/addresses on his website.Thanks!

How soon do you need it? JD is based in Bangkok, Thailand.

The cutting on the aqua is very nice but the colour is very pale. However, given the budget constraints and wanting a large size, this is the sacrifice that has to be made. I agree that seeing a video before progressing further would be prudent.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually the Jeff Davies aqua looks very much like the one you posted in your opening comment. A video will help and maybe he can lay the stones out and send a photo for your review before moving on...........

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
I'm not really in any hurry at all- I just wanted to have a realistic idea of when to expect the ring.

He says that he is not able to make a video with the stone- should I still proceed or should I really insist on seeing the stone + rubies side by side in a video? I would feel more comfortable with that but am not sure how much trouble it would be. Finally, how much smaller would I need to go in carat weight to get a brighter blue color? 1ct? 1.5? I prefer a brighter blue but am unwilling to sacrifice a ton of size for it.

Thanks!

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
I agree! I think its lovely and will be great in the ring. I asked for a photo/video with the rubies but he said "the rubies would be so small that the photo would not be possible. We would have to buy the rubies because we don't stock ones that small but be assured they would be nice quality". I'm not sure what this means or whether I should be concerned about this. How can they be so small that they can't be photographed?

Also- I asked about his return policy and understably, sales are final for custom work. What would I do in the event that the piece does not look like the photo I posted above? Or what if I had it appraised and it was worth less than what I paid?

This is such a big purchase for me that I am really trying to make sure I understand everything before I proceed. Do you think it would be easier to purchase the loose stone and work with a jeweler stateside that I could easily visit?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sherry

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the asscher aqua-it's pale, but I like pale stones! For me, it would be easier to get the aqua from him and make sure I like it. You could find a setting and rubies here. I'd probably just do a standard four prong setting and either gypsy set a ruby on either side in the shank or do them as surprise stones in the gallery or something.

niter

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful stone! Jeff does a great job and I really love working with him. I think you will be very pleased with an asscher cut aquamarine. A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to buy a beautiful one second hand and I love it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the JD Asscher too.

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

So after tons of thought and google/pricescope searching, I think I'll purchase the aquamarine from JD and have the setting made stateside just for peace of mind/comfort with being able to call/visit. I've also kind of totally changed my mind on what I think looks good with an asscher cut stone and hope you can help me!

I love the "tiffany" setting with the three side rubies on each side with an emerald cut. With this look strange because my stone will be square rather than rectangular? I also found these settings (from fellow pricescoper pics!) that I love. However, given my mom's small finger size (4.75) and the large aquamarine (2.1carats, 7.8mmx7.8mm), I'm worried that it's going to look gigantic/overwhelming/terrible on her finger. What would you do?

This is Webdiva's E-ring setting that I love and am considering. I would switch out the diamonds for rubies in the halo:

airline_halo_favorite_2.jpg

To keep things in budget, I would probably have to reduce the rubies to the large north/south/east/west points and have no stones in the rest of the halo. How do you think that would look?

Thanks again!
Sherry

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, glad you decided to have rubies in the 4 directions only, as I personally do not believe a ruby halo would work, due to white metals as in the beads showing between the stones.

My hunch is that the ring setting is not going to be cheap and may blow the budget, unless the JD stone is much less than I thought.

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
DK- thanks for your response! Do you think it would look better in rose gold? That's an option I've been thinking about as well.

The aquamarine is only ~$100 :)

Sherry

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sherryberrybear|1463617881|4033365 said:
DK- thanks for your response! Do you think it would look better in rose gold? That's an option I've been thinking about as well.

The aquamarine is only ~$100 :)

Sherry

The JD Aqua is a bargain!!!

I am not a fan of coloured gold, as I only wear white metals, sorry.

Hopefully the experts will come along to offer their advice soon.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To get a sense of scale, could you draw a finger and put the stone on top of it (or just draw a box of the same size)?

Trace around your finger, cut the paper down the middle, and slide the halves so they are the right distance for a 4.75, then tape them down. Not perfect, but maybe enough to get a ballpark of finger coverage?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a slight modification of the original design will work. What is the mm size of the rubies? Can you line up 3 in a row (north to south) flanking each side of the aquamarine (east and west of the aqua)?

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I don't have the aquamarine yet so I drew a finger on a piece of paper that is ~15.9mm in width (approx the diameter of a 4.75 ring size) and then drew a 7.8mm blue box on top of it. I haven't purchased the rubies yet and have a few questions:

fullsizerender_144.jpg

1) Would the side cluster design be better or the airline/modified halo that I love given finger size?
2) What size rubies should I get? JD initially recommended 1.8-2mm for each ruby but I'm afraid that's kind of large. Thoughts?
3) If I go with the modified halo design with larger rubies at the N/E/S/W positions, what size should these be? What size should the teeny tiny diamonds (or rubies) be in the rest of the halo if I can afford it?
4) If I can't afford it, how do you think the halo would look with just the 4 larger rubies and engraved rose gold around the rest of the halo? Any examples of what that might look like?
5) Rose gold vs. white gold?

Thanks everyone!

Sherry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results