shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarin hunt

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After seeing Meghan’s beautiful aqua ring, who else is bitten by the aquamarin bug?

I’m in the hunt for a nice stepcut. My goal is to have a ring like that:
301616B0-A8EF-4F08-B464-CB64F31DFACF.png

I think this ring belongs to a PS’er, but I’m not sure anymore, where I have found this picture.

So far I have found one really nice stone on my price range, and a ring with an aquamarine.

This is the stone
3C509A84-96AA-4D3E-9DEA-D17DA71B1FAB.png 126A6000-0E00-4A34-B787-2824EA6946A6.png

What do you think about it? It is 8*5.94 mm. I wrote to the seller, that I would like to have a few more pictures on his hand.

Than there is this ring, but I don’t even know the size of the stone, and for me the stone seems too vivid, maybe not real? Although the Seller states, that all of the stones and rings are tested.

9CFA4C36-7586-43F6-9FCE-4BA7EDC84ED6.png 0C64839F-9F3D-4EC5-BC01-3EA524DFD830.png BEF79910-6CE6-4DF2-B1D7-A4F482FD6A6B.png

I really don’t have any experience with aquas, so I would really appreciate, if someone could chime in. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9A9EA48B-C78F-4777-BDB3-1F7CB5BAF98B.png
    9A9EA48B-C78F-4777-BDB3-1F7CB5BAF98B.png
    865.4 KB · Views: 11

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the Aquas you like have a large window. This is quite common with aquas but it means you can see through the centre of the stone and see your finger underneath.
The aqua in the ring look rather blue, does the seller have certification identifying the gem as an Aquamarine and not a blue topaz? There is quite a price differential ie Aqua is more expensive.
The one on Loupe Troop is a modern cut so it won’t have as much of a window, I think that one is a much nicer example.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do note that there’s irradiated aqua which produces such vivid colouration but it fades over time.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ChanterelleJ Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately my budget is limited, and I’m located in Europe, so it means, no return options for the suggested stone, because after paying 20% VAT, a return doesn’t make sense.
But I still appreciate your suggestion, and to tell the truth I find it beautiful.
On the other hand I find it almost too big, and I want to put it in a right hand ring, and my ring size is 5.

@Bron357 thank you for pointing out the window, because I haven’t recognized it in the unset stone.
I assume, the set stone in the ring is not an Aqua, but a topaz, but the Seller is on Holiday, and can tell me only on Monday the size of the stone, and answer my my question, if it’s really an aqua or not.

@chrono thank you for chiming in. I’ve tried to educate myself about aquamarines in the last few days, and I also have read, there are irradiated ones, but the color could fade in strong sunshine. In the case of the ring I posted I’m afraid it’s a topaz, because the whole ring costs only 400€.

The loose stone that I posted earlier is in Europe, it’s 8*6 mm. I may order it, because no VAT and good return policy.

I have also found this one:
8B659F99-443A-4D6C-970A-EBFBC763CC0E.jpeg
size is 9.9*7.6, so quite big, and not really the cut, I was looking for.

I don’t know what to do. Maybe I just wait.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And a few more pics from the unset stone, which the Seller sent me yesterday.
06D8BAEE-49B7-4224-8F17-DA6406D35DCE.png 278A1E33-6B81-4789-BEA6-ACB8533FD3E4.png AE216FF7-59F4-420B-891C-89F9FC3B95C1.png

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have my dream aquamarine. It’s not big, but is the exact color and shape I want. I asked my husband to set it in diamonds and platinum for our 20th anniversary. That’s in a year and a half though. Deferred gratification is better than no gratification.

Have you looked at vintage aqua rings? There are several out there, especially if you like paler aquamarine.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have my dream aquamarine. It’s not big, but is the exact color and shape I want. I asked my husband to set it in diamonds and platinum for our 20th anniversary. That’s in a year and a half though. Deferred gratification is better than no gratification.

Have you looked at vintage aqua rings? There are several out there, especially if you like paler aquamarine.

@chatoyancy - yes, I have looked at several vintage rings, but unfortunately they are mostly above my budget.
Regarding color, I'm looking for a medium color, emerald cut, and not a pure blue, but more a greenish blue.
And by the ways, could you post a picture of your aqua?

Maybe its better, if I wait a bit, but if someone sees a nice one, I'm always interested! :razz:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2E5C37F2-816C-4444-AB15-945A2554A81F.jpeg
@chatoyancy - yes, I have looked at several vintage rings, but unfortunately they are mostly above my budget.
Regarding color, I'm looking for a medium color, emerald cut, and not a pure blue, but more a greenish blue.

Maybe its better, if I wait a bit, but if someone sees a nice one, I'm always interested! :razz:
I prefer the greenish blue too. That’s why they are called aquamarine. You are right. The vintage rings can be pricey.

Here’s my aqua. It’s 1.6 carats. Just a hint, they go up a LOT per carat once you pass the 3 carat mark. Beryls look bigger than they are because of low SG. Mine looks 2 carats.
Sorry, my photos always insert in odd places.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re not seeing what your heart desires I would wait and keep looking. Your gem is out there. I usually have a fairly small budget for gems & many are outside of my budget. I look for color and precision cut first then size. I’ll compromise on size the most. But if I’m looking and don’t get that gasp, oh my gosh I have to have it then I keep looking. I’m constantly reminding myself that there will always be another gem if I miss out on one. There is no urgent need or rush for me so I’ve learned to let things go unless my heart is loving it. I don’t have the $$$ to buy gems that don’t sing to my heart!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ladies, I have found one more stone to consider. It’s not a stepcut, but somehow I like it, and could imagine it in my desired setting. What do you think? The cut seems to be nice, and the color is not too pale.

EA6473BE-196B-4D32-B19B-7DC079A49EA3.png 315E9CAE-961E-46A2-A369-D689B49EBF9C.png

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely cut and colour imo!

I was browsing the Finewater one and thought of you! It is probably a bit light though!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me if you’ve mentioned already but what is your budget? I have an Aqua cut by Jeff White that I may consider selling.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgive me if you’ve mentioned already but what is your budget? I have an Aqua cut by Jeff White that I may consider selling.

I haven't mentioned any budget, because it depends. If I really love it, I may go up to 500 USD, but in the best case, I would like to keep it under 350 USD.

The last posted stone is 389 EUR, in USD 453. it is 8,9 * 7,4 mm stone, 1,93 ct and IF clarity.

Would you mind to post some details about your Jeff White aquamarine? Thanks in advance.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Aqua is large at 4.67ct 9.96 x 9.96. I’m afraid it’s very much out of your budget.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My Aqua is large at 4.67ct 9.96 x 9.96. I’m afraid it’s very much out of your budget.

Still thank you for thinking on me!
But to tell the truth, it would be also too big, because I want to halo it! And a 10 mm stone in a halo would be a monster ring!!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely cut and colour imo!

I was browsing the Finewater one and thought of you! It is probably a bit light though!

I’ve just had a look, and I have only found one aqua. Do you think it’s nice? I also ask to learn.

Unfortunately it would be also too big. I’m looking for a max. 9*7 mm stone.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Me! Me! Also Aqua-Fan. I buy only those that have a good part green so I get untreated aquamarine. Bright blue with some green and no windows is my ideal, and no visible inclusions. My avatar is the 'bluest' one I have, one of my first buys but I'm afraid it is treated.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Me! Me! Also Aqua-Fan. I buy only those that have a good part green so I get untreated aquamarine. Bright blue with some green and no windows is my ideal, and no visible inclusions. My avatar is the 'bluest' one I have, one of my first buys but I'm afraid it is treated.

And who are the best vendors for aqua? I have looked at many I already bought something from, and even at a lot of Etsy vendors, but I'm afraid, I'm going to pick a too light colored one. Your's is really nice!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
And who are the best vendors for aqua? I have looked at many I already bought something from, and even at a lot of Etsy vendors, but I'm afraid, I'm going to pick a too light colored one. Your's is really nice!
For unheated aquamarines with lab reports, there is only wildfishgems with a professionally big selection. If you are not too cost-sensitive they are great for all untreated gems.
You can find terrific single gems, here and there, at small vendors and cutters and hobby-sellers and etsy and ebay, but nobody has a really large inventory of untreated aquamarines online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results