shape
carat
color
clarity

aqua and diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys - I may have bought you in under false pretences! I don''t have an aquamarine and diamond ring to show but would like to know what you think about combining the two?

I''m buying a AGS0 Princess 1.40, 6x6mm centre (from Paul) and wonder how it would look surrounded by aqua melee in a joint prong, halo setting (think Ritani - fine bezel).

Would the two go well together in terms of brilliancy or do you think the aqua would look dull? and is anyone cutting aquamarines as small as 1pointers? If so could I expect them to be well cut or would they be a little less carefully cut? If I go with the idea of a frame around the stone, given that it''s square, do you think I would be better off chosing aqua baguettes? Final question (I know nuuuurrrthing!!!) do well cut, thin, aqua baguettes even exist.

Really appreciate your help,
Abi

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Abi,
I doubt if anyone is cutting aqua''s that small. If they did they would not look very good as they would not show hardly any color at all and since aqua has a low refractive index it would look pretty dull in those small sizes. I would recommend sapphire instead. It''s harder shows better color and is brighter than aqua. I had some floating around here once that were 2 - 3 point stones that had the color of aqua, so I know that someone is cutting these that small.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahahaha....i did think i was going to get to see some aqua and diamonds here!
39.gif

i think the two would compliment each other quite nicely, though if i had one of paul's princesses
18.gif
i would set it as a solitaire..... maybe with some channel set princess sidestones.
3.gif

alas, i do not have one of paul's princesses, you do!
sooooo.....to answer your question.....
20.gif

i think the reason you don't see colored gemstone melee is because it's not worth a cutter's time to cut these 'inexpensive' (relative) stones. if however your are able to find some well cut, similarly colored stones in the size you want, i say go for it!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with Michael E that beryl cut melee doesn't make sense unless the stones have deep color, and emerald is the only beryl that does get there. Small stones are simply dull.

There might be some ways to ad aquamarine accents to the ring taking advantage of what aqua does best - the fresh color, and avoiding to play up it's weekness (lack of brilliance compared tosapphire or diamond). For once, you could have large sidestones (same size as the centerstone, perhaps) which give a great classic look... if you like it.

cobbring8.JPG
cobbring2c.JPG

Or you could have a backdrop of calibre cut aquamarine (like the sapphires used below), but for that it better be aquamarine with fantastic color and the rim better be wider relative to the center stone to allow some depth, otherwise they would look like shards of glass.

c.jpg
c.jpg

One way to go about it would be this - rather unusual, allright:

gem1_big.jpg
gem24_big.jpg

These are Thorus cut stones by Glenn Lehrer (lehrerdesigns.com) - some have aqua color, although they might be topaz, and there might not be any made square, although, well, it is worth asking if the idea souns tempting at all.

Some rings by Scavia are made with aquamarine inserts into the sides - some unusual, but attractive use of this stone, in my opinion. The line is no longer their latest and there are more designs with colored inserts, including band rings with side inlays (LINK to Scavia bands).

9485img1z.jpg

Anyway, it is easy to guess what small aquamarine will look like: even around 1 carat they are too small for a show and there are plenty of inexpensive stones like that - you could just get one to see what they are like. If one carat is too little, 5 points or so would certainly be. Now, very good color aquamarine does look nice around 1 carat, but it may be tricky to find a matched pair like these:

1193lg.jpg

The examples comes from HERE - even the very, very picky guyes at Cherrypicked call these 'exceptional color', and not without reason. Below one carat that is very impressive. Not unrepeatable, of course. few things are.

Hope some of this helps
1.gif
Yours should turn out a wonderful ring with aquas next to the impresive diamond you mention.

Actually, Widget's aqua ring has a cut that, IMO, matches a princess cut diamond beautifully, and aquamarine looks good princess cut too.

U.jpg

The picture ofWidget's ring shows how much deeper color her stone really is comparedto the 'commrcial' aquamarine color (shown by the two pictures of rough aqua to the left).

And this is a huge (60 carats or so) princess cut aqua from Multicolour - just to show this cut in aquamarine. The stone is large and clean, but the color is not all that great at all, a smaller piece of that material woul look white
7.gif

b_yaq130aw.jpg

Just some 0.2 worth. I surely hope you will stay with the decission to have an aqua ring in the end. Even if it turns out 'right hand ring' instead of the current project.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LaughingG, even though the stones are not aquamarine(blue topaz), at least it gives you an idea of what it would look like.
983992805-IMAGE71.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
[My Aqua and diamond ring is an emrald cut and has larger diamond then the ones you mentioned but I just LOVE it. The combination is just stunning in my ever so humble opinion. I have never worn it without people grabbing my hand and asking me what/where I got such a ring. (That may be the only downside for the ring.) Still if you are thinking of doing it I say go for it, the only hesistation I would have is if the agua is too the diamonds make it look cheapie or kind of washed out. JMO

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2005 8:45:36 PM
Author: tonysgeko
LaughingG, even though the stones are not aquamarine(blue topaz), at least it gives you an idea of what it would look like.
... went to the source website, and it looks like their ring pictures are computer generated - something especially evident when looking at, say, the same setting model pictured in white and yellow metal. There''s no way the two pictures would be excatly alike except for the metal color i not CAD...

Like these:
78082194-S-smallest.jpg
67600289-S-smallest.jpg

Which makes me think that their representation of topaz is a bit optimistic. Perhaps blue CZ would look like that.

I could be wrong, of course... this is the first time I see this website and have no idea how they make those pictures.

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all your ideas. Yup, I was wondering if the aqua would just look dull and deadish. Those stones with the windows cut out of them are wild. i can''t work out if I like them or not!!!

I''d like go micro pave but with something other than diamonds and nothing too dark...hmmm....I''ll check out Storm''s sapp melee and also the links to Scavia.

Widget''s ring is my inspiration !!!!!
36.gif
I''d love something similar but with one frame and the diamond as the centre.

Thanks again
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results