shape
carat
color
clarity

Approx Value for Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

letscm

Rough_Rock
Hi there I have a few stones and I know I don''t have pics and that makes it a lot harder but was wondering if I could get an estimate on what 3 stones I have are worth...

1st- .56ct Shallow Pear Cut Natural Tanzanite, Purplish-Blue, VVS Clean, not sure what else you need to know for an estimate let me know I have more information

2nd- 2.37ct Perfect Pear Cut Natural Chrome Tourmaline, AAA Chrome Green, VVS Clean.

3rd- 4.22ct Perfect Trillion Cut Natural Blue Beryl, AAA Tanzanite like blue, IF.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
It is very hard to place a value on stones without seeing them and getting a feel for what is actually being dealt with.

That being said, It sounds like you have some reasonably worthwwhile stones. I wouldn''t hazard a guess but I would say the chrome tourmaline is probably the most valuable of the three.

Now the part you aren''t going to like:

Blue beryl (also knows as aquamarine) does not appear in tanzanite-like colors. Even heat-treated stones have a more cyan hue than a purple-blue. I would be very suspicious of that stone. It is likely not beryl, and is almost certainly not natural.

Where did you purchase the stones? Are they native cut? Do you trust your source? Have any of these stones been tested?

letscm

Rough_Rock
The .56 tanzanite

.56 tanzanite3.jpg

letscm

Rough_Rock
.56 tanzanite

.56 tanzanite2.jpg

letscm

Rough_Rock
.56 tanzanite

letscm

Rough_Rock
2.37 tourmaline

2.37 tourmaline.jpg

letscm

Rough_Rock
4.22ct Beryl

4.22 Tanzanite.jpg

letscm

Rough_Rock
4.22 Beryl

4.22 Tanzanite2.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
So many stones are heated or treated in other ways that you'd really need an appraiser to look at them. The chrome tourmaline should be safe.

With coloured stones, there are a lot more variables that go into them than there are with diamonds,

We really need measurements, good photos and details of any treatments.

Do you know and trust the dealer?

I'm with Jeff on the beryl, sounds highly suspect to me. If you bought the tanzanite in the last few months, be suspicious of colour coatings.

Personally I wouldn't go near tanzanite with a barge-pole unless I knew the dealer very well and exactly what I was buying.

ETA: Looking at the photos, the beryl looks like no beryl I have ever seen. I'm afraid they all look more than a bit off to me. The cut on the 'tanzanite' doesn't look too good either - the meet points are bad.

Where did you get them from?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
The tanzanite is cut very shallow and appears to be badly windowed. The color is quite nice and that alone will help it maintain some value.

I would guess that stone would be worth somewhere between $50 and $100.

Remember, I am no gemologist and this is strictly an opinion. I could be (and probably am) WWWWAAAAAYYYYY off.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 1:18:54 PM
Author: Revolution
The tanzanite is cut very shallow and appears to be badly windowed. The color is quite nice and that alone will help it maintain some value.

I would guess that stone would be worth somewhere between $50 and $100.

Remember, I am no gemologist and this is strictly an opinion. I could be (and probably am) WWWWAAAAAYYYYY off.
If it''s not coated I would think Jeff''s guess is probably near enough. I would have thought around the $50 mark for a stone that size.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Lookin at the "beryl", my first thought is lab-created spinel..

Of course that can''t be verified without proper testing but, as Pandora (my new girlfriend) said, that doesn''t look like any beryl I have ever seen. I agree that you should be pretty safe with the chrome tourmaline which, if it is what it claims to be, should be worth about $350. The first thing I would do is check it with a chelsea filter to verify the chrome content.

Regardless of what the "beryl" really is, it is a pretty stone. Very tasty color.

letscm

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for all your opinions I am very new to all of this just trying to get a nice collection but obviously didn''t know what I was doing, I am taking the stones in later this week to have them professionally looked at and I will let you all know what the verdict''s were. I don''t have any good pics at this time but a few more measurements not sure if they will help....

.56 Tanzanite- 7x5x2.5 mm
2.37 Tourmaline- 9.4x7.3x5.8 mm
4.22 Beryl (or whatever it turns out to be)- 11x11x7 mm

If anyone could recommend an online jeweler that is trusted for quality stones please let me know thank you!

letscm

Rough_Rock
Does this stone look of better quality??

6.40ct Tanzanite, 12.20x12.50x8.20, Trillion Cut, D Block Blue, IF Clarity, Great Luster, non-treated. Also what would be a good price to pay for something of this quality from what you can see..

6.40 tanzanite.jpg

letscm

Rough_Rock
6.40 Tanzanite

6.40 tanzanite2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 1:30:02 PM
Author: letscm
If anyone could recommend an online jeweler that is trusted for quality stones please let me know thank you!
I don''t really know anything about the value of your stones, but I just wanted to let you know that I''ve ordered a couple of stones from Barbara at ACS and I think her stuff is fabulous. Plus, she knows what she''s doing, and she makes the ordering process very very easy.

letscm

Rough_Rock
O ok thank you very much!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I buy from Richard M. at artcutgems.com and Wink at winkjones.com

Good places to look at really fine examples of stones are palagems.com, cherrypicked.com, and for sapphires the Natural Sapphire Company is good.

Multicolour sometimes has great pieces (but you need to hunt for them). AJSgems is another.

We''re all very happy to help here, so any questions you have - ask away.

If I''m looking for a certain thing (garnets are my particular obsession) I tend to contact a vendor and see if they have what I''m after. Don''t be afraid of asking vendors for advice and help - it makes the hunt so much more fun!

Jeff, my fiance is giving your avatar nasty looks!
28.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Pandora, what do you mean, avatar? Thats an actual picture of me!!! It was taken when my eyes were bugged out at a particularly nice indicolite....

Stinkeye, huh? Well, I guess I can understand why there would be some jealousy on his part.
2.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Letc,

This would totally be a guess but I would think that if it is all it says it is, you are looking at $750 to $1000/ct wholesale...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Is the colour on the photo a good representation? Or is it slightly more purple in real life?

letscm

Rough_Rock
The color is very accurate...I just picked up 200cts of various gems ranging from .25cts-1.50cts for $85.....just one of the gems in there was a .60ct Afghan Emerald, that alone is worth more then the $85 I should have fun picking through there and seeing what I got, kind of like when I was younger and you buy those packs of baseball, basketball cards hoping for that 1 rookie. I''ll get pics up of those as soon as I get em.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Another thing to keep in mind with stones for resale is their shape. Trillion and pear cuts - are they that popular amongst colored stone fans? They are challenging to set. While I like trillions, I don''t feel compelled to own one, and pear cuts, especially small single ones, are challenging to use for designs. I feel the larger trillion and pear of the ones you have are good sizes for stones of that shape.

Rounds, squares, ovals, and rectangle/emerald cuts are good "foundation" shapes. Marquise and cushion and Asscher cuts are hot right now, but I get the feeling that this is as large central stones for a pendant or ring.

Hope that helps!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Just to let you know that your 6 ct tanzanite is a heat-treated stone. Almost all tanzanite is treated. It comes out of the ground brownish, and the heat turns it to these lovely blues. If the 6ct is good blue the stone it would be worth a goodly sum. I heard that at the tuscon show good quality tanzanite was selling for $400 per ct wholesale. you may get abit more because it is 6 cts.

Thanks,
Annette

psichedout

Rough_Rock
The Beryl is suspect to me as possibly being Kyanite or something being called Mt. St. Helens obsidian...not too sure what it is...
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results