shape
carat
color
clarity

Approx 4ct no heat Burma spinel red with pink undertones pricing

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Hi All. I need some assistance with pricing on an approximate 4 ct no heat Burmese spinel. It’s red with some pink undertones. Translucent. Doesn’t appear included. I have no idea what an appropriate pricing range is for purchasing. I do not particularly want to post the exact stone. No additional stones. Mainly looking for a range. I have yet to ask for a cert, but listed as unheated. Thanks for any help you can give! I can try and post more info if needed.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Translucent. Doesn’t appear included.

I think these are mutually exclusive. I don't think I have ever seen a spinel described as "translucent." It's typically a pretty clean gem. Pricing based on that description would be impossible, imo. Photos might help a bit.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I think these are mutually exclusive. I don't think I have ever seen a spinel described as "translucent." It's typically a pretty clean gem. Pricing based on that description would be impossible, imo. Photos might help a bit.

Face palm. I mistyped, thank you for catching that and calling attention to it! It is transparent. I will try and post pics tomorrow. It’s for sale, and set, but I was trying to avoid linking it and having someone else make a deal for it. I realize what I’m asking may be too broad. Thanks!

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Finewater Gems has listed a number of Spinel for sale to give you some idea of prices.

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/c13/Spinel.html

DK :))

Thanks @dk168

Would you say FG is the average pricing for their stones?

I am more familiar with diamond pricing, and love a good stone hunt. I do not usually buy from the big dealers like OWD or JbyG. I am much more likely to purchase from an auction or IG dealer.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @dk168

Would you say FG is the average pricing for their stones?

I am more familiar with diamond pricing, and love a good stone hunt. I do not usually buy from the big dealers like OWD or JbyG. I am much more likely to purchase from an auction or IG dealer.

I have purchased from Gary before, and had met him in person last year when I was in Tucson for the gem fairs.

He brought with him some of his stones in his inventory, including a lovely pear-shaped red Spinel that I had been eyeing for some time (recently sold, hey ho).

I believe his prices are honest and fair. He is also a lapidary artist in his own right and GIA-trained. Therefore, I trust the descriptions as seen in his listings.

DK =)2

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased from Gary before, and had met him in person last year when I was in Tucson for the gem fairs.

He brought with him some of his stones in his inventory, including a lovely pear-shaped red Spinel that I had been eyeing for some time (recently sold, hey ho).

I believe his prices are honest and fair. He is also a lapidary artist in his own right and GIA-trained. Therefore, I trust the descriptions as seen in his listings.

DK =)2

Great- thanks for the info!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand you don’t want to post the stone you are eyeing
But it’s going to be incredibly difficult for anyone to answer with any type of range?

Not knowing how saturated it is -
If it leans purple or orange
How pretty the make is -
Does it have fluorescence? If so - pink or red

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I understand you don’t want to post the stone you are eyeing
But it’s going to be incredibly difficult for anyone to answer with any type of range?

Not knowing how saturated it is -
If it leans purple or orange
How pretty the make is -
Does it have fluorescence? If so - pink or red

I think it leans a little more purple than orange. The videos I have seen are darker than this backlit picture. I don’t mind that it’s more wonky and not perfectly even cut. I do not know if it’s certed, just advertised as unheated and Burmese. I haven’t asked the seller any of these questions because I have no idea if the $10k+ is designer markup. I’m going to post a couple links to Etsy stones I like.

Last edited:

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
More Red. Can see inclusions, but that doesn't bother me a ton if its natural. Milksapphire on Etsy. Has anyone purchased from them before?

1706110351223.png

1706110367070.png

1706110413461.png

this one is a different seller. Also says no treatment. I don't think any of these stones have a cert. I kind of like how the last one has a two tone.

I realize I am not that invested in any of these. But its still a decent amount of money for the loose stones from another country and no cert.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
View attachment 958720 I think it leans a little more purple than orange. The videos I have seen are darker than this backlit picture. I don’t mind that it’s more wonky and not perfectly even cut. I do not know if it’s certed, just advertised as unheated and Burmese. I haven’t asked the seller any of these questions because I have no idea if the $10k+ is designer markup. I’m going to post a couple links to Etsy stones I like.

Do you know the measurements?
just curious of face up size relative to the carat weight.
(the wonky cut doesn’t bother me either)

you don’t need to publish it here - just something to consider.

how many nicks at the girdle, and do they extend further in woukd be something I’d check out.

you saying it’s darker in non backlit photos - hard to tell how saturated it really is.
I’m assuming extinction is readily evident. I prefer towards overall silky over clearer crystal tho - just my tastes.

id pass heavily @ 10k.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Do you know the measurements?
just curious of face up size relative to the carat weight.
(the wonky cut doesn’t bother me either)

you don’t need to publish it here - just something to consider.

how many nicks at the girdle, and do they extend further in woukd be something I’d check out.

you saying it’s darker in non backlit photos - hard to tell how saturated it really is.
I’m assuming extinction is readily evident. I prefer towards overall silky over clearer crystal tho - just my tastes.

id pass heavily @ 10k.

It is 11x9. I can only see the nicks on the top in the picture i posted. Yes, I would say there is some extinction, but it mostly appears more purple instead of the reddish pink.

Same on the 10K. Was hoping to have a better understanding of pricing so I could throw out a reasonable offer on a piece that's been around awhile. But going from 10 to 9 won't do it.

thanks for all the insight.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Respectfully, I don't find any of those to be very appealing stones (at any pricepoint). I think they all have manipulative lighting/photography/editing and I can tell whoever is selling the stones doesn't care much about them - as evidenced by the poor surfaces which indicate they are just being tossed in a package with other stones

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought from that Etsy seller’s sister on IG. I bought a red spinel, about the same size and price. The inclusions bothered me, and I had it Recut and got a little bit of money back because they were not disclosed—and I had asked. It is getting set at the moment, but will post pictures when I get it back.

Everything I bought, I got certed, and they all checked out. Spinel is not traditionally heated, but might be oiled. The pictures are taken in a Very different light to my natural light, and the stones look better in the Vietnam light.

I have stopped buying from that IG account because she is offering lots of large (not melee) ‘cobalt’ spinel lately and I do not trust that they are not treated.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I have bought from that Etsy seller’s sister on IG. I bought a red spinel, about the same size and price. The inclusions bothered me, and I had it Recut and got a little bit of money back because they were not disclosed—and I had asked. It is getting set at the moment, but will post pictures when I get it back.

Everything I bought, I got certed, and they all checked out. Spinel is not traditionally heated, but might be oiled. The pictures are taken in a Very different light to my natural light, and the stones look better in the Vietnam light.

I have stopped buying from that IG account because she is offering lots of large (not melee) ‘cobalt’ spinel lately and I do not trust that they are not treated.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Def not ready to pull the trigger now that I learn more. But glad everything checked out when you got your stones certed.

The couple stones they have that I like are clearly included. The videos seem to show there are inclusions, and not surface nicks. I don't know how much that alters prices in spinels compared to say, emeralds, where it is expected.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had 10k available I'd want the best, even if it were smaller. Like this:

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
If I had 10k available I'd want the best, even if it were smaller. Like this:

Gorgeous stone!

I personally am looking for a bit more pink than true red. I also am not looking to spend 10k. I wanted some feedback to educate myself on making an offer, but I did not want it to be offensive. However, I think I am going to keep looking.

This is more up my alley. Considering no price is posted, I would have to guess it it out of my limits.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

I personally am looking for a bit more pink than true red. I also am not looking to spend 10k. I wanted some feedback to educate myself on making an offer, but I did not want it to be offensive. However, I think I am going to keep looking.

This is more up my alley. Considering no price is posted, I would have to guess it it out of my limits.

Yeah, IF there's no price it's usually super $$. But can't hurt to ask

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone!

I've found he has access to some incredible stones!! His pricing also has been good from the items I have inquired about

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
For yavorskyy, no listed price usually means $10K+ I assume. You would need to ask for videos as well, as their photos are very glamour like and probably under some studio lighting. The mahenge that was linked for example, has been graded "intense" and not "vivid" in saturation by Lotus . I'm sure its a beautiful stone but just wanted to point out that photos don't usually tell the whole story.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this

The pear has finally been purchased! Had I not been tempted by Jeff's emeralds, I would have asked Gary if I could have that it. Too late now, and I hope it will go to a good home. I even had a setting in mind, something inspired by Chaumet's Josephine rings.

DK :confused2:

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

As much as I love the new stones, half the thrill for me is the hunt for something at an auction or an estate piece. Even if that means resetting. I am in no rush to purchase anything. Ideally, I would like a stone 9x7 and up as I do not have petite fingers. I am also possibly interested in a pink sapphire, which is where I started my browsing.

I started looking at the etsy stones as they are much less expensive, although for a reason. But I may keep looking at that price point as I am still learning. I do like the stones that have shades of red and pink. I love how Glenn Preus cuts his stones, and how they seem to naturally display more than one color. Not ready to bite the bullet on the pricing though.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
The pear has finally been purchased! Had I not been tempted by Jeff's emeralds, I would have asked Gary if I could have that it. Too late now, and I hope it will go to a good home. I even had a setting in mind, something inspired by Chaumet's Josephine rings.

DK :confused2:

Do you mean this pear: https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p883/2.03ctMahengeSpinel.html

If yes, it went here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-and-a-small-surface-table-inclusion.281516/

@lizzydm26 The above thread discusses a bit of pricing in spinel, so if you haven't come across it, I believe it will be useful to you.

From what I know, spinels aren't heated as the process doesn't really do anything for them. I imagine since heating is such a common treatment for many other gems, vendors prefer to state "unheated" when listing their spinels.

What does happen to spinels, though, is oiling, and that one often comes undisclosed. From what I understand it's also a treatment commonly missed by small local asian labs, so that's one thing to consider when buying from etsy or IG. Another is that these places have a higher concentration of sellers who would rather not disclose clarity issues. The price is lower, but it's only worth it if clarity isn't a top priority for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results