shape
carat
color
clarity

apprasial necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

james

Rough_Rock
I want to thank those who answered my previous question.

Is it necessary to have a GIA diamond appraised or does the grading certificate act as an idicater of its value? When is an appraisal absolutely necessary? Thanks in advance!

p.s. I posted the specs in a previous post last night.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Always Always Always. Are you 100% sure that the certificate you have
in your hands if for the stone you bought?
To be sure, get a Sarin Report and an independant evaluation.

Best regards,

Trichrome

student

Shiny_Rock
The cert says nothing about value, and there are aspects of the cut which are not included on a GIA cert but affect the value and desirability of the diamond. If you do your research you may be very confident in your choice of diamond and vendor, but when the cost of an appraisal is very small relative to the cost of the diamond, it seems to me to be worth it to have the extra security. For smaller diamonds, say for earrings, an appraisal might not be worth it.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Both GIA and AGS have paragraphs on their report advising to contact a credentialed gemologist.

The information provided by GIA and AGS are gemological reports and NOT appraisals.

Appraisals are reports of monetary value/worth etc. Appraisals are serious legal documents, which are prepared for a specific function or purpose.

Confirming the gemological quality of a stone, is important if knowing the complete information is important to you.

The important issue for consumers is to ask the appraiser HOW HE IS GOING TO MAKE THE VALUE CONCLUSION and to Find out the Function and Purpose of the report.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results