Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
Are there any certain questions I can ask to make sure an appraiser is experienced and is using the proper equipment? What kind-of equipment should they be using (i.e. type of scale, type of lighting, etc.)? Are there certain certifications or degrees to look for? I read the articles listed (thank you) on fluorescence and appraisers (none were in our area) but are there specific questions you can suggest I ask? I looked all over the Internet for advice on finding and choosing an appraiser and didn’t find too much. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks again,

-Diamondseeker -

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can help you some in this regard. When you locate an appraiser, ask them do they charge a flat fee, hourly rate or percentage? The first two are okay, the percentage is a no-no. Ask where their APPRASIAL training was obtained. ISA,ASA, NAJA, and AGS are the main sources of study. Ask if they are a member of one of these organizations at the present time, too. What is their title?

Are they a GG(GIA) or some other equivalent in gemology training? FGA is an excellent other title.

Are they "independent" or part of a retail store? Can you get honest work on a diamond from a retailer, YES. Can you be sure, NO. A lot of interviewing will be required and you will never be certain. The potential for a biased appraisal is very strong. Retailers are not crooks. It is just so very difficult to wear two hats and keep them totally separate.

I hope that helps you.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I will begin calling soon to interview potential appraisers.

This site has just been a wealth of information. Thanks to everyone for all their posting and a special thanks to all the knowledgeable people who provided us with answers and guidance. Take care and I wish everyone happy and safe holidays.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One way that might be helpful in locating a "good" appraiser versus a mediocre one is to call several jewelry stores and tell them you are looking for an experienced, non-biased local appraiser who is tops in his field.

After 3 or 4 stores recommend the same fellow, you'll know you've probably found your guy.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.