shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers - RockDoc or D. Atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scapel

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for all your input on a previous post regarding a diamond I am interested in pulling the trigger on.

For all of you who have used the following appraisers - Rockdoc and D.Atlas, could you give me your opinion on which appraiser would be more appropriate?
My diamond has an GIA cert and brilliance scope, megascope, sarin report analysis and H&A pictures.

Please help me! They are both sound very competent and reputable and having a hard time deciding on who to send the stone to.

Thanks!!!!
rodent.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
hello,
i had my diamond sent to dave altas..actually chris did the appraisal and he was fantastic. he was soo prompt on returning my emails and phone calls..and never made it seem that any of my questions were "dumb". His main concern was my happiness! just my two cents..
10.gif

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
I cannot tell you who is "better", but I have had some great service from Dave Atlas, and could personally recommend him.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
In addition to sending your stone away, one other option is for you to have the stone locally appraised. Unless you live in a really rural area, there are probably a few local guys to choose from. I actually went to a local independent appraiser with top notch credentials in the Los Angeles area who did the appraisal RIGHT in front of my eyes which was very informative, educational, and highly interactive. He was able to determine the specs of the stone right down to the actual measurements and angles without even looking at the cert (AGS) and was pretty much dead on. He only looked at the cert at the very end. He charged me $75 for the 1.4 carat stone that I had purchased which seemed very reasonable. I had the stone insured through Chubb. Good Luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I've never used Rocdoc (though I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from him!) but I have used Dave.

I would suggest that, with all the info you already have, you just go with Dave. I would use Rocdoc if I were so in love with my stone that I didn't mind spending the money to get every little last bit of detail about it.Or, of course, if I needed a lot more information than the jeweler could provide. If you just want an easy appraisal for insurance purposes or to verify that the stone matched the cert, I'd save your money and use Dave.

chas

Rough_Rock
Hi scapel,

I personally have used Rockdoc more than once. He really is great! I truly believe in his analysis. He is super easy to work with and will discuss each and every detail with you --- be it large or small! Also, he offers a few additional services that others do not. In the end you will have to go with what feels right to you.

Good Luck,
Chas

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Here is a link to the local guy I used:

http://www.jewelryjudge.net/nelson.htm

Good Luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Just to chime in......I have the highest respect for Dave Atlas, and his qualifications are beyond reproach. He would be an excellent choice to appraise your stone, and I'm sure you'd be fully satisfied with his work.

He goes the extra mile in helping customers understand about their diamond purchases, and he does it in the most gentlemanly way possible.

He is a master at what he does, and you can find his AGA Cut Classes here on Pricescope.

scapel

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for info!! It really helps "newbies" out
rodent.gif
It sounds like D.Atlas is often requested and sounds great.
Can someone please clarify for me though:

It appears that D. Atlas provides a AGA certificate, similar to the AGS report, providing measurements and angles, etc. However, is he able to give any information regarding on brilliance, light performance of the stone and it's potential leakage areas? It seems that his certificate is a stricter analysis of an AGS

I know that RockDoc provides this. I guess the question is; do I need to get confirmation of all the analysis that the stones comes with anyway?

Thanks everyone!!
"still undecided but leaning towards ATLAS with time ticking fast!!!
errrr.gif
"

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,
I used D. Atlas for two different stones I purchased. I think they were great to work with.
I know that Rockdoc ckecks for strain, so if that is something you have a concern about, just ask whoever appraises your diamond, to check for that too.
That's what I did!!!

BetsyA

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/1/2003 11:41:44 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

I hear that Sherwood guy is pretty good too.

heh heh heh...----------------

----------------

I have to agree with you, Rich!!!

Betsy

wavey.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Rich Sherwood is fantastic, if you can get by that tragic growth coming out of his forehead.
1.gif

Dave Atlas, Rich Sherwood, and Rockdoc have all been invaluable contributors to this board. Rich in particular has been very patient and detailed in answering my multitude of questions. To answer your question - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three aforementioned appraisers who regularly contribute to this forum.
1.gif

Best of luck!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/2/2003 12:44:46 AM canadiangrrl wrote:

To answer your question - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three aforementioned appraisers who regularly contribute to this forum.
1.gif

----------------

I completely agree that all three are qualified. However I only have personal experience using Dave/Chris (twice), and their service was indeed outstanding. Good luck with your decision. Either way you can't go wrong.

Rich, you funny guy.
9.gif

scapel

Rough_Rock
Okay, sounds like D.Atlas is the way to go...thanks for your input!!!! Rich, you're funny
appl.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I truly appreciate the nice comments above. Chris and I do everything we can think of to make the experience pleasant and informative for clients.

We want people to have choices. The other appraisers mentioned here also do great work for consumers. Sure, we want all your business, but you do have freedom to choose a particular appraiser. There are times when that is very beneficial.

What you don't want is to be told by a vendor the exact appraiser to use. That just never is going to be the right way to go.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! We really enjoy being on the Pricescope website.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/1/2003 11:41:44 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

I hear that Sherwood guy is pretty good too.

Aww........Rich, you KNOW I hold both you and Dave in the highest regard.

It crossed my mind to bring your name into the discussion, too, but I felt as though that might be doing a disservice to the appraisers the poster specifically asked about.

You and Dave both have my highest, highest regards, and when asked who I'd recommend, both of your names are the ones I offer.

(Even though you DID have a keniption fit when you found out I was a WOMAN! YIKES!)

naughty.gif
naughty.gif
naughty.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
(Even though you DID have a keniption fit when you found out I was a
WOMAN!
-----------

Yeah, whew, that was traumatic.

I'm STILL in therapy...

Heh heh heh... Did you ever see that movie the "Crying Game"? This guy fell head over heels for this gorgeous brunette. What he didn't realize was the she was a he. The he thought that the other fellow knew, and was interested in him/her as a he/she.

They ended up in the bedroom, where the guy found out she was a he after a fair amount of foreplay. The guy was so shocked he looked like somebody had punched him in the stomach. He ran into the bathroom and threw up, over and over again. He couldn't stop throwing up. After a while it got to be really funny. He kept trying to talk to the he/she, but couldn't make it through a sentence without throwing up. The he/she said "Gee, you're making me feel really bad...".

It was hysterical.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now Rich I know you are a sensitive new age guy, and a deep thinker.

But which person are you identifying with?
Are you hurt because you feel rejected for getting left out(like the cross dresser).
Or do you associate with the guy chucking up?

naughty.gif
wavey.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I guess I identify with the guy chucking up, only reversed.

I was relating to Al as a man for all those months, and all of a sudden he turned out to be a woman.

Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results