shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser in the Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gobears

Rough_Rock
Anyone who can recommmend an independent appraiser in the Bay Area? Pricescope lists one in Walnut Creek, which is a bit far from where where I live (Gilroy).

Thanks in advance.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi GB. Nancy Stacy is pretty much the only one close to you in Gilroy (she's the WC person). She said there was one in Fremont, but she doesn't think much of him.

Also she recommended one to me in SF as well but that is farther than WC! I would just take a drive up there one day and do the thing. You can leave the stuff with her for an hour or two, shop around WC, pick it up and you're done.

Nancy is great! She is GIA certified and teaches GIA appraisal courses around the world. Can't get more official than that. Have her show you the stone under her IdealScope as she does not take pictures with the IS, but rather just uses it to grade light return.

Hmmmm maybe I should accelerate my course studies and become the independent appraiser in this area!!!
2.gif

Good luck!!

gobears

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, Mara!

Easter

Rough_Rock
I don't know that this will be any closer than Walnut Creek, but I used David Harris in the SF Jewelry Mart to appraise my stones from WhiteFlash. He did a great job and his rates were reasonable (I think it was around $80 or so for a standard insurance appraisal). hope this helps!

tuer

Rough_Rock
I wonder if appraisal is necessary for a diamond (less than 1 carat, H/VS2). I am also in Bay Area and I can not find one close on this web.

BTW, What is the price on appraisal? (depending on your diamond?)

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nancy is $125 per hour. A stone under 1c will probably take an hour or so. We had her do 2 sets of earrings also so we paid alot more than just for the one stone.

I would highly recommend an appraisal on any stone over .50c. If you spend any amount of good $$ on a stone, chances are you want to know you got what you paid for. But if you are not going to insure, maybe its not necessary, it's a personal preference.

I would also recommend an independent appraiser that is not affiliated with any sort of store or sales of jewels..as you can never be sure they are not out to malign your stone for whatever reason unless you have prior experience with them. Independent appraisers work for themselves...and those who pay them !
1.gif

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Wow Mara -- 1000 posts? congratulations!
9.gif
You should receive honorary appraiser status after all the advice that you provide on this forum.

I ended up with an appraiser at Willow Glen Custom Jewelers, down in the South Bay. They offer an initial Internet verification (to make sure your stone is what it was advertised as) for $20, and they perform a full insurance appraisal for $75. If you get the full insurance appraisal on an Internet-purchased stone, the $20 fee is included.

However, I was a little uncomfortable with the fact that they asked for the stone certification *prior* to appraising it, and their explanation for that (something about not wanting to waste time guessing) left a little to be desired. Nonetheless, they were very professional and courteous, and I was even able to see my stone under a Firescope.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results