shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''ve decided to go w/ my 1.29ct asscher. I want to get it appraised before sending it back to the online jeweler to be set. Who do I go to? There is not a recommended appraiser in St. Louis where I live so I was going to have it sent directly to an appraiser and then have them send it back. Who would you recommend? Thanks

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d send it to either David Atlas or Richard Sherwood.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 4:32:43 PM
Author:antiqueasscher
I want to get it appraised before sending it back to the online jeweler to be set.
Not a bad idea. Do you know what you want them to do? If you can articulate it, it''s possible only a Pricescope affiliated appraiser can assist you with it...and also, then, possibly many of those can''t either.

Here''s another presentation of options, with a local appraiser included.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
I'm just looking for a verification of the ring, a few more pictures and independent advice on any possible imperfections. It's really just for peace of mind in getting a 2nd opinion. I should mention now that because I paid by credit card the diamond is shipping directly to me, so if I was going through a distant/online appraiser I would have to pay to ship to them and then again back to the jeweler, whereas if I found a reputable local jeweler in St. Louis, I would only have to pay to ship back to the jeweler for mounting.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Ok, now here''s an insurance question. My dad is a VP for an insurance company and told me to get him the info on the diamond after I paid for it. I did this and he called me and said that his people are telling him it''s very difficult if not impossible for them to insure a loose diamond and that they typically/only insure a mounted diamond. Is this normal or standard practice?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 5:23:19 PM
Author: antiqueasscher
Ok, now here''s an insurance question. My dad is a VP for an insurance company and told me to get him the info on the diamond after I paid for it. I did this and he called me and said that his people are telling him it''s very difficult if not impossible for them to insure a loose diamond and that they typically/only insure a mounted diamond. Is this normal or standard practice?
very normal

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
So what do I do? Walk around with an uninsured diamond, going to an appraiser? I guess it''s insured when I ship it back, but in the time being it''s uninsured?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is what I would do...
look it over for a couple days, you love it and everything looks good then overnight it back to them have it set then have the completed ring sent to an appraiser all within the 30 days.
Ask them if the setting takes longer than that to extend the return policy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 5:32:32 PM
Author: antiqueasscher
So what do I do? Walk around with an uninsured diamond, going to an appraiser? I guess it''s insured when I ship it back, but in the time being it''s uninsured?

Ask your vendor if they have a temp setting they can ship it with. You might find that it comes with this anyway, as it is difficult for them to insure a loose diamond as well. Much easier to insure a loose stone in a completely "temp" setting. Then you can just ship it around as jewelry.

antiqueasscher

Rough_Rock
Well I just got word that it was all a false alarm for nothing. The underwriter has agreed to insure the loose diamond. Now on to the St. Louis appraisal question (I think it might be time for a more specific thread title). The temp setting was a very good idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results