shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Indecisive''s BF here, The ring has been order
1.gif
now we need to pick an appraiser. Allycat''s story has got us a little worried and we want to make sure we have a good appraiser. I checked out the pricescope 3rd party appraisers and found one close to us. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. It''s Michaux Tayloe Chopski, in Vinton, VA. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys and gals.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
OK well I guess not alot of people are from southwest virginia. Can anyone give me some things to look for to make sure an appraiser is reputable?

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Did you go through the appraiser section of the tutorial?
https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp

I''m actually planning to go through the jewelry judge to have my diamond appraised when I receive it. Several people have vouched for them, plus my roommate''s brother had his stone appraised through them as well. I did a quick search and they have a guy in Virginia, but I don''t know how far that is from Vinton...

James L. Peddicord, GG, NAJA
Graduate Gemologist
4968 Euclid Road, Suite E
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
phone: 757.200.5414
email:[email protected]

They have an appraisal tutorial too...
http://www.jewelryjudge.net/qualappraiser.htm

hope this helps!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it doesnt have to be someone local id just use Richard Sherwood or one of the other appraisers that help out here a lot.
To me anyway its a huge comfort that I feel I know a lot about them and they are willing to help out here.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 3:45:31 PM
Author: strmrdr
If it doesnt have to be someone local id just use Richard Sherwood or one of the other appraisers that help out here a lot.
To me anyway its a huge comfort that I feel I know a lot about them and they are willing to help out here.
I live in an area where there were no ind appraisers close. I used Richard and was VERY impressed with the work he did. I will be sending him my other ring later this year. I contacted him through his website and let Wink know what my plan was. The ring was set and then sent for Richard to evaluate. I was very happy with the whole process. But if you are leery about anyone near you I''d definitely consider one of the PS appraisers...I wasn''t sure and am very glad that''s what I ended up doing.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
holy moly.....well, i wasn''t sure about gettin'' my asscher appraised until after it was mounted.....is it okay to appraise it after the mounting? .....i''m gonna need it for insurance..........

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 12:52:21 AM
Author: TierHog
holy moly.....well, i wasn''t sure about gettin'' my asscher appraised until after it was mounted.....is it okay to appraise it after the mounting? .....i''m gonna need it for insurance..........
In your case id just get it appraised after setting.
You have seen the stone and examined and photographed it from every angle.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
storm meister......''good lookin'' out''.....thank you. man, i''ve been so absorbed with findin'' the diamond, that i didn''t think of the appraisal end of it....thank you. now....i''m about a two hour drive from nancy stacy......or is she.....stacy nancy, heck, i dunno....you know who i''m talkin'' about? she''s listed here at pscope. lol....for the appraisal or you still recommend richard? .......probably puttin'' folks on the spot here....sorry............

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nancy rocks.
Lots of happy people.
If your going to drive it in to see her then go with her.
If your going to fedex it then use Richard.
Thats what id do :}

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
storm.....right on...great advice...will do one or the other..........hey, do you recommend these ''chubb'' folks, or can i add somethin'' to my homeowners policy?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like chubbs cash out policy but its pricey.
Jewelers mutual is another good option.
I consider it to be iffy using a rider on home owners way too many horror stories.
Who do you use for it?

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
well, if chubbs is a diamond specialty, i''m okay with usin'' ''em.....i sure don''t need any ''horror'' stories.........in the event........

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
You know I am a big fan of my experience with Nancy...but if I were you I would have DBOF ship directly to Richard and then have Richard ship directly to you.

There''s just something about him....goes the extra mile, personality...something.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 2:31:28 PM
Author: wallermama
You know I am a big fan of my experience with Nancy...but if I were you I would have DBOF ship directly to Richard and then have Richard ship directly to you.

There''s just something about him....goes the extra mile, personality...something.

I was responding to Tierhog...I got confused whose thread I was on!!!

I still vote for Richard for you Indecisive, even though the ring has to make a little trip. Have the jeweler ship it directly and it won''t be so painful
28.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
wallermama.....okay, i''ll check out richard...i really appreciate people who go the extra mile with customer service. DBOF has been great with helpin'' me out. along with the diamond''s they shipped to me to look at, they had ''surprises'' with the diamond. one surprise was loupe...another surprise was real platinum setting that i could drop the diamond into....and, they also included a video about royal asscher cut diamonds.....there''s somethin'' to be much appreciated with people who go that extra distance...and, they need to be recognized for it.....where was i goin'' with this reply? oh, lookin'' into richard appraising my royal asscher in setting...thanks...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 2:31:28 PM
Author: wallermama

There's just something about him....goes the extra mile, personality...something.

I keep going those extra miles because I'm too stubborn to ask for directions. personality...defect.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
hey richard, givin'' you a heads up that i might be sendin'' you my mounted King Royal for inspection... :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 10:00:59 PM
hey richard, givin'' you a heads up that i might be sendin'' you my mounted King Royal for inspection... :)

I can third or forth using Rich if you decide to ship your stone. I have heard wonderful things about Nancy too though. Rich did an appraisal for me last year and I was so impressed with his quick reply to my emails and the details and 3 ring binder he sent with info and pics of my stone were amazing..

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 10:00:59 PM
hey richard, givin' you a heads up that i might be sendin' you my mounted King Royal for inspection... :)
For a Royal Asscher I'll be sure to keep my head up TierHog.

I can't tell from the avatar. Which one are you...the beauty, or the beast?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 10:03:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I can third or forth using Rich if you decide to ship your stone. I have heard wonderful things about Nancy too though. Rich did an appraisal for me last year and I was so impressed with his quick reply to my emails and the details and 3 ring binder he sent with info and pics of my stone were amazing..

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I thank you, my children thank you, my grandchildren thank you, and my bookie thanks you.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
richard...of course, i''m the moron that the girl (tanya) has her arm around....lol.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You better buy that woman a Royal Asscher, Tierhog.

She is smokin...

Of course, I guess you''re kinda cute too. In a lantern jawed, Marlboro man, eats nails for breakfast Hulk sort of way.

What a pair...

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll add my vote for Richard too!! He even manages to be very approachable long distance to international clients.......

sueg128

Rough_Rock
I took my stone to Richard Sherwood since I live in Southwest Florida, but I think a lot of the stones he receives are in the mail. I was totally impressed with his evaluation. He''s extremely professional and pleasant as well! It was a two hour evaluation - every minute of watching that stone get worked up was fascinating.....really gave my stone it''s own personality. Without a doubt, he gets my highest recommendation.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
richard.......you''re killin'' me with your compliments and humor! you''ll do anything to earn business i see!! hey, you''ll thank yourself, your children will thank you, your grandchildren will thank you.....your bookie will thank you!!

on a more serious note, richard, if i send my purchase your way, is it best that the diamond be ''set'' in it''s setting, or loose? probably an ignorant question, i know. my lack of experience in this matter suggests that you''d want the King Royal
31.gif
''set'' in it''s setting.....

primarily, i want this appraisal for insurance reasons, of course. but any kinda ''workup'' you''re willin'' to do would be neat. i''ll visit your website today, so i can understand a little bit about what you do.

thanks for participating in this forum, ron.....

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The most accurate appraisal is a "loose stone" appraisal, but most appraisers can work around a mounted stone okay.

I would characterize a "loose stone" appraisal as a "100% appraisal", while a mounted stone appraisal is a "93% appraisal". Does that make sense?

If the stone is already "certified" and the primary purpose of the appraisal is for insurance purposes, then I would recommend having it appraised mounted. Most insurance companies will not insure a loose stone.

Be advised that I am taking a 10 day vacation from April 15th thru the 24th.

Thanks,

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
richard, thanks for the reply. the asscher is certified by GIA, lasered on girdle with the RA number, crown, etc. from what i''ve read around here, i understand that the ''color'' may be different because of the setting....the King Royal''s a J. i am kinda curious to find out what the ''color'' would be set in the platinum. but, doesn''t matter, i bought it for it''s beauty, size and rarity....thanks for the heads up on your vacation. i''m up in the air about the setting, so your vacation may not interfer. if i don''t corrrespond with you before then, have a good, relaxing vacation.

again, thanks for the reply, i appreciate your time.

ron.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results