shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser for colored stones.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I know the first step for assessing the value of a colored stone is to get a good lab report (probably AGL) on the stone. Richard Sherwood used to appraise colored stones, but unless something has changed, I don't believe he is doing that any more.

Any suggestions on where to send a colored stone for an appraisal (after I get the lab report)?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This question just came up on the diamond board. Why do you need an appraisal when you just got a lab report? If you want to insure it just use the price paid. Why spend more money. if there is another answer, please lets hear it.

Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This question just came up on the diamond board. Why do you need an appraisal when you just got a lab report? If you want to insure it just use the price paid. Why spend more money. if there is another answer, please lets hear it.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1330718400|3139395 said:
Hi,

Annette

Some insurance companies require an appraisal for insuring, otherwise a lab report and a receipt should suffice, unless you want to insure it for more than you paid. Some people buy their gems at a time when the market is selling them at a lower price, and an appraisal also comes in handy when you need to increase the value for current times.

VAgemguy

Rough_Rock
I suppose that if the piece was purchased for less than its true value (e.g. if it was sold as heated but upon analysis was determined to be unheated), then an appraisal would help establish the replacement value in the event of a loss. Martin Fuller is highly regarded, but pricey.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1330718611|3139398 said:
smitcompton|1330718400|3139395 said:
Hi,

Annette

Some insurance companies require an appraisal for insuring, otherwise a lab report and a receipt should suffice, unless you want to insure it for more than you paid. Some people buy their gems at a time when the market is selling them at a lower price, and an appraisal also comes in handy when you need to increase the value for current times.

I have some "less than common stones" that I purchased some time ago and because I can't find "like" stones online easily, I'm truly not sure if they are worth more (I think and hope) or less, than I paid. I want to know for my own information, as well as for possible insurance purposes and unlike diamonds, I'm not aware of an online resource that can answer that for me.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
VAgemguy|1330718834|3139400 said:
I suppose that if the piece was purchased for less than its true value (e.g. if it was sold as heated but upon analysis was determined to be unheated), then an appraisal would help establish the replacement value in the event of a loss. Martin Fuller is highly regarded, but pricey.

Thanks!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I second Martin Fuller. I had him appraise a stone when I first bought it, to help me decide if I wanted to buy it. (It was my red spinel and I was noob back then...still a noob today :) .)

My cutoff would be $1000 for going to Martin. Otherwise, I would just use AGL to confirm it is what the vendor claimed, and appraise the whole piece once it is set for insurance purposes. (I have read that Jeweler's Mutual does not insure loose stones.)

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1330720011|3139419 said:
I second Martin Fuller. I had him appraise a stone when I first bought it, to help me decide if I wanted to buy it. (It was my red spinel and I was noob back then...still a noob today :) .)

My cutoff would be $1000 for going to Martin. Otherwise, I would just use AGL to confirm it is what the vendor claimed, and appraise the whole piece once it is set for insurance purposes. (I have read that Jeweler's Mutual does not insure loose stones.)

Thanks, does anyone know what insurance company does insure unset stones if Jeweler's Mutual does not?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results