shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraiser Credentials. What to look for?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for a diamond appraiser in my area for a long time. I have talked a few. But I just do not feel that I can trust their assessment on diamonds and gems in general.

I found a guy with "American Society of Appraiser’s Master Gemologist Appraiser®" designation. How highly is this designation regarded in the industry?
I am in Vancouver, Canada. And there is noone with AGS membership in my area.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some tips on appraising your appraiser.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If they know 1/2 as much about diamond cut as you do then they are doing good.
Very few appraisers are diamond cut experts.
They can often talk the basics of gia ex and less often ags0 but beyond that not so much.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ASA-MGA is a great credential but bear in mind it’s an appraisal credential, not a gemological one. It’s underpinned by a GIA-GG or GEMA-FGA, but it doesn’t add anything gemologically.

That said, there are only about 50 MGAs in the world and the ones I know are all top-notch. It’s not an easy thing to get and it tells me they take their education seriously. They’re careful about how they write reports and what they say. These are not tiny things.

I’m curious, why don’t you trust them? What assessment are you looking for?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The MGA title is more gemological than appraisal oriented. The ASA tile is more appraisal than gemological. Together, it is a strong package. Before ASA took over the MGA program it was a program of the Accredited Gemologists Association. Some of the very best gemologists-appraisers at that time were highly active in AGA and taught the program when I took it. It was a big winner. Later on, I became a teacher of the MGA course. It was really a wonderful opportunity and I met lots of truly dedicated appraisers who wanted to be tops in their profession. I think ASA is still making a good effort to keep these highly trained appraisers at the top of their game.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, all.
I understand an appraiser does more than just looking at diamonds and may not have strong gemology education beyond GIA G.G.
I am interested in a few pieces from local pawn shops. Upon purchase, I need someone who can verify whether it is treated, clarity enhanced, and/or natural, or advise me, to their best knowledge, whether it is worth to send the diamonds to GIA (or well respected local lab) and facilitate the process on my behalf as a trade member.
The guy with the credential in my area is Harold indeed. It appears that he may be the right guy.

I am not looking for appraisal on color, clarity, cut and proportions. I can kinda determine those.

To answer why I do not trust most appraisers, many do not have GIA G.G. education. Even those with GIA G.G education do not often display good knowledge in diamonds. Many apraisers are store owners or employeed by jewellry stores.

Last edited:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stones coming out of pawnshops can be a problem. I see undisclosed synthetics. I see fakes like moissanite and CZ. I see undisclosed damage often. Clarity treatment is usually easy enough to spot but HPHT color treatment can be difficult. The tools to answer that reliably are expensive and unusual. If you’re ok with a 1-2% false-negative (calling a natural stone synthetic), lab stones are easy enough to spot, but better accuracy than that requires some very expensive toys.

I misread your post. I thought you were saying you don’t trust Harold in particular. I agree, many ‘appraisers’ don’t know what they’re doing and/or have hidden agendas. It’s good to shop them. Harold is one of the good guys.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you use him give us a review please.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results