shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraised Value - Should I Tell?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ezl

Rough_Rock
Kind of a dopey question but:

I just gave my fiancee her engagement ring and I don''t know whether to tell her the value or not. On the one hand, it''s kinda tacky to tell the price of a gift. On the other hand, if you''re walking around with a $26K (appraised value) piece of jewelery on your hand you should probably know about it. Is there any convention? How have you guys handled it? Note that I''m considering sharing the appraised value because that at least keeps away from the whole ''This is what I paid for your ring'' angle (slightly, at least)...

Thanks...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Unless she asks (in which case, I personally think it's ok to tell her), ABSOLUTELY NOT. Especially because appraised values are usually highly inflated (in other words, I'm guessing it appraised for well over what you paid, unless you were probably taken advantage of).

On the other hand, if she actually doesn't have a clue how much diamonds cost these days, it wouldn't hurt to give her a heads up to take extra care. But you can do that by saying something like "Honey, I've insured this ring for you [I assume you have?] but it would be terrible if something happened to it. Please take extra care!"

ETA: if she hints that she wants to know, I think it's ok to tell her too. After all, your financial future will now be tied together.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I agree with independent gal. I don''t think the price should be divulged unless asked. If you''re afraid she''s going to leave it by the sink, however, I think a well-placed "it''s insured" should get the point across. Also, if it is insured (hopefully) don''t make her feel uncomfortable about wearing her new prized possession. You probably wouldn''t want her telling you about the price she paid for your new Rolex when all you want to do is show it off.
19.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know that you should offer the info unsolicited because it's like saying "Honey, look how much I value you!!!", but if she asks, I def. think you should tell her how much you PAID, NOT the appraised price because they are quite different. The appraisal price is no doubt very very inflated.

ezl

Rough_Rock
Good points guys...thanks...

"if she actually doesn''t have a clue how much diamonds cost these days..."
Actually, that''s kinda the case, and that''s what had me a bit rattled. But your points are well taken - I personally think it''s just plain tacky to share the price in general, but I also don''t want her paranoid about wearing it...

And, in truth, I don''t think the ring could be any more valuable to her no matter what the dollar cost, so it not like she would take better care of it because of the price. Thanks for the reality check!

I think the cost will remain a secret between myself and my insurer ;-)

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi ezl,

From an appraiser''s stand point, I''m extra,extra careful not to talk about value if both parties
are present at the appointment (unless instructed to do so). I always ask first if it''s okay to
talk about price OR not. Sometimes, one will just leave the office for a few minutes while the topic
is being discussed. It''s important to have a discussion before starting the appraisal process.
Who wants to be an outsider witnessing a major flare up between two people in love? Not ME
23.gif

Also, an independent appraiser is more interested in valuing your diamond fairly and to give you adequate
protection in case of loss or theft....a very inflated or unrealistic appraisal is not the goal here.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2007 9:06:03 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Don''t worry, she''ll find out everything there is to know about that diamond, value included.

They always do.

LOL. Very true, very true.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2007 9:06:03 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Don''t worry, she''ll find out everything there is to know about that diamond, value included.

They always do.
LOL
1.gif
!

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
9.gif

jeannie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I designed and had my FBIL''s engagement ring and he had it appraised at a guy recommended on PS - he asked specifically for a replacement value not an inflated value.

It appraised for over double what he paid - unsurprising really since my ex boss and I gave our time for free and both the diamond, emeralds and setting were at true wholesale prices.

She was absolutely terrified when when saw the appraisal and came to see me about it worried that he''d spent way too much. I didn''t mention the actual figure but did reassure her that he''d done very well on it and the appraisal was much higher than the cost.

If she wants to know she will find out - so best to be honest. Most girls I know are much happier if their man has spent less rather than more!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results