shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraised EGL-USA stone, and what a disappointment!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blingybling

Rough_Rock
hello,

this was my original post (specs of diamond included):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-joined-your-opinion-on-this-stone-please-time-crunch.90275/

a quick update:

i had this stone appraised (independent) - because there was a particular ''reflection'' - a fleck of brightness towards the center, and it was off-center. not sure why, but it was really bothering me...

anyway, turns out that this stone - despite being graded by ELG-USA (apparently stricter then EGL) - turned out to be two grades lower in colour (F in the report, H by appriaser) and it was not ideal cut, and, it was vs2 (vs1 in report). the appraiser said there was something just plain ''odd'' about the stone! i looked at it through an ideal-scope, saw magnified images of it, and that small reflection - may have just been due to the diamond being slightly shallow.

needless to say, i was VERY disappointed

7.gif

we choose a custom setting, which is taking 4 weeks - and in the mean time i''m wearing the stone on a temp. band. we have paid for the ring in full (which i found kind of odd, but apparently, that''s the policy).

i have told the jeweler that i''m already ready for an upgrade, and they seem to be okay with it. i will tell them that i wasn''t happy w/the stone in addition...

for my own sanity & time, i''m going to go with a GIA graded stone. for a novice buyer w/preliminary knowledge - these is just no way i can pick out a *great* EGL-USA stone, so i''m just keeping my fingers crossed that by going with a better lab - i''ll have a better stone.

will post an update.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the news. It happens. I suspect it happens more often with EGL, but even with GIA you may have an appraiser who differs in a single color grade.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a shame and am very sorry. GIA is a great lab, but please consider AGS as well. AGS is very strict.

blingybling

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies...!

the jeweler doesn''t have ags stones unfortunately - only gia and egl.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Just be careful of GIA''s cut grade. Some of their excellents are not really excellent. Do a search on GIA steep deeps and you''ll see why. Good luck!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 7:42:16 PM
Author: blingybling
thanks for the replies...!

the jeweler doesn''t have ags stones unfortunately - only gia and egl.

Before you decide on another stone, perhaps you can post full details here and we can give you opinions on the stone before you make a decision. The jeweller can always call in AGS stones if they really want. Also, if you can get an IS image for any stones, that would be fantastic. Good luck, I am sure you will find the perfect stone!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! I''m so sorry to hear about your stone. I really don''t have anything useful to add. I just wanted to say good luck!

blingybling

Rough_Rock
update:

the jeweler i was going to in ny figured that i wasn''t super happy as i was going back to look at other stones.

plus, they ordered my setting w/out discussing any details/specs with me...! the good news is that they didn''t want to make me unhappy, and offered me a full refund w/out me requesting it (which was the outcome i was hoping for!).

net net, i can now look for a stone (most likely online) and go from there...! yahoooo!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 5:58:48 PM
Author: blingybling
update:

the jeweler i was going to in ny figured that i wasn''t super happy as i was going back to look at other stones.

plus, they ordered my setting w/out discussing any details/specs with me...! the good news is that they didn''t want to make me unhappy, and offered me a full refund w/out me requesting it (which was the outcome i was hoping for!).

net net, i can now look for a stone (most likely online) and go from there...! yahoooo!
If you like this jeweler OK, there are advantages to working with a local guy, giving them part of your business, for future help with maintenance, etc. Maybe do order your diamond on line (and perhaps they''ll understand why, after they''ve disappointed you), get Jeweler''s Mutual for insurance at least your first year (so your protected during the setting process...read here how to get this right), have them set the diamond, and go forward that way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results