shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mattm204

Rough_Rock
How does one get a ring appraised? Can it be done with the stone set or does the stone need to be separate from the ring?

Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An appraisal generally entails a dollar value. It can be perfomed on a set or unset stone. However, for accuracy, an unset situation is preferable...

Grading an already set diamond is educated guesswork at best. Those with little experience in grading mounted diamonds are very likely to have problems.

mattm204

Rough_Rock
So are most stones that are appraised unset? I already have my ring set so i am a little afraid to have it unset and then re-set.

Also, About how much does an appraisal cost?

mattm204

Rough_Rock
Also, do I show the appraiser my certs before he does the appraisal? Or does he do the work first and then compare it to the certs?

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
If your diamond has certificate from a recognized laboratory like GIA or AGS you should supply the certificate with the ring. It’s not easy to accurately grade color when the ring is set, color is graded from the pavilion side. Its also common practice to place a prong over an inclusion if it’s on the edge.
As Dave was saying an appraisal is primarily to determine a monetary value not to verify the accuracy of the certification.
If your reason for sending a diamond to an appraiser is for an opinion on cut quality and visual performance then its better unset, still not much point in not including the certificate

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results