shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisals?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dek12nv

Rough_Rock
Does everyone agree that when you purchase a diamond from over the internet you should have it appraised? What about if it is from one of the “trusted dealers” that contributes to this site. How should I go about the appraisal? Should I have the stone sent to someone in or out of the setting? Or should I send the stone by itself, have it sent back to the dealer, and then have it set in the chosen setting?

Any opinions would be helpful/

Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Does everyone agree that when you purchase a diamond from over the
internet you should have it appraised? What about if it is from one
of the “trusted dealers” that contributes to this site.
-----------

It depends on your purpose. If you're going to have the ring insured, you're going to need an appraisal anyway, so you might as well get it right up front while you're making your decision.

In my opinion you're safe with the analysis and critique provided by those "trusted dealers" you mentioned. From what I've seen, these guys are straight shooters with awesome merchandise at great prices. It would be pretty hard to go wrong with most of the popular names you hear bandied about all the time on this site.

There's another side to the coin as well though. Often a vendor will feel better if you get an unbiased second opinion. That way they know you're not just relying on what they say, and will have more confidence and little or no second thoughts about the purchase.

-----------
How should I go about the appraisal? Should I have the stone sent to
someone in or out of the setting? Or should I send the stone by
itself, have it sent back to the dealer, and then have it set in the
chosen setting?
-----------

It's much easier for the appraiser, and you get a more accurate report, if he examines the stone loose. Your second option is probably the better of the two, although a good appraiser can usually work around a mounted stone if necessary.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Just another thought on getting an appraisal done before the purchase....the dealers you are buying from oftentimes haven't even seen the stone. We examine and check all the aspects against the report. We have found errors that throw off the cut proportions. Sometimes these are just typos but need to be corrected. GIA has been very good about this. We consider ourselves to be your seeing eye dogs! The dealers like this because it makes the client feel much more comfortable. When choosing an appraiser, check out the professional profile and their equipment. Make sure they aren't grading with CZ's. Digital photos are great for insurance purposes. Don't skimp on this part of the purchase! Cindy

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
And definitely use a totally free standing, independent appraiser. Not a Jeweler who does appraisals. It's a bit of a conflict of interest for a jeweler to independently appraise another vendor's diamond. Not that they won't, but there have been more than a few reports here where the local "trusted jeweler" pulled a quicky with a thumb or fingerprint, or a swipe with an oily cloth to make the diamond look bad. Then the jeweler was more than happy to help the dissatisfied customer find another diamond.

Price Scope has an appraisers list or you can check in your area to see if you can find a local near you.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results