shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisals versus purchase price and Rapaport

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
General question:

If I purchase a diamond that corresponds to the rapaport diamond report, for example, is the appraisal likely to be in line with my purchase price, or does it reflect more of an "MSRP" for the diamond?

I realize that the rapaport diamond report does not take cut into consideration, but can anyone explain that report and how the numbers should be used in guiding pricing?

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Check these out:

The diamonds-diamonds.info pricing page

and

The Good Old Gold pricing page

If you haven't already I recommend reading every single page of the pricescope tutorial and the Good Old Gold tutorial.

Good luck.
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
FOODIE,
----------------
...can anyone explain that report and how the numbers should be used in guiding pricing?
----------------

In order to to use Rapaport Diamond Report(tm) one should know how trade discount diamonds of different qualities. There are many nuances here including availability and demand for certain goods. Without this knowledge Rap is useless and misleading for consumers.

Check out these pages:

Rapaport Price List History
How Rap works
Traps with Raps
Using Rap and Rapnet

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Valuation

First the appraiser needs to know WHY you want the report, and what you want to know.

There are many appraisal reports - done for varying reasons. Each report needs to correspond the reason it was prepared.

Some of them are

Confirmation of purchase pice
Insurance Appraisal report
Resale Report
Estate
Bankruptcy
Consumer Fraud

The appraisal report should state the purpose and function of the report, so you as well as any third parties who will rely on the content understand the limitations of it.

In addition there are different market levels partiularly for purchasing functions.... i.e flea market, internet etc.5th ave store etc.

The RAP sheet for anything other than GUESSING at dealer costs is useless for consumers.

Preparing a proper and accurate valuation takes an expert who has all the details. Those who write appraisals without this information are simply being negligent.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
No Gary I didn't mispell your name intnetionally - as you can it is correct6ly spelled below it.

At the moment I cannot change it as the website consultant that redesigned the site, doesn't yet have it ready for me to make adjustments.

However, once that is done I'll be happy to correct it.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results