shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
If I purchase a diamond from a reptitaple dealer with a GIA report, should I still get my diamond appraised? Thank you.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Depends what you want from an appraisal and whether that information will be helpful.

If you are getting an appraisal with a valuation - then that is handy as it may be required for insurance purposes.

However other things that an appraisal may cover include:
1. More detailed stone information, espcially if the appraiser has a Sarin or Ogi machine which can let you know how tightly cut the stone is and the exact proportions.
2. A professional opinion of the light performance and appearance of the diamond.
3. To confirm that the stone is the one that is listed on the GIA certificate. And that the colour, clarity, location of inclusions and carat are as described.

If you trust the vendor and don''t need to know the other trivial details mentioned above, then it''s not a requirement. If it''s going to give you peace of mind or you do want to know the details, and don''t mind the cost - then yes, an appraiser could be handy.

The GIA colour/carat/clarity gradings are fairly strict and have a reputation for being accurate.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I''m going to. I figure at some point I will for insurance, so I might as well do it within the 30 day return policy.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
I think you should. No matter how reputable, diamonds change hands and there''s human error. I was looking at stones in a store and one stone the sales woman showed me was attached to the wrong GIA. There''s always human error. You can go get a simple appraisal, just to see if the carat weight and measurements are correct. This way. at least you know you have the stone that you bought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results