shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal vs GIA... should i buy??? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie2b

Rough_Rock
I am currently looking to purchase a loose diamond for a RING which was just appraised below the sale price. I had the stone appraised at arguably the most reputable appraiser in my area... and it was appraised a few hundred $$ BELOW what the sale price is (I have not yet purchased). The appraiser confirmed the major specs of the stone which were all excellent, however dropped his appraisal value due to a Very Thin to Thin Girdle specification (the GIA is at Thin only). Having done some research, I have come to understand that a Thin to Med girdle is considered the best option, and safest route. And that a Very Thin girdle may be succeptable to chipping...

Being a newbie, I am now considerably CONFUSED after i thought I had found the perfect stone... I have read that a girdle of at least 0.7 should be ok... I need to check with the dealer to get this figure tomorrow... so if after obtaining the girdle measurement, i MAY still consider this stone...

would you buy this stone considering ALL other aspects, except the girdle, are Excellent (HCA was excellent)... or should i look for a different stone with more desirable girdle... Thanks in advance for any advice...

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Even if everything else is IDEAL, I wouldn''t recommend buying a great diamond with very thin girdle. It is more susceptible to chipping, why take risk? Shop around, you will find a comparable stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, whatever the % of girdle thickness, it sounds like the price is not all that great. Otherwise it will take more than such slight detail to make the stone a so-so deal (appraisal below sale price).

Doesn''t the same seller have some alternative you would consider?

About the thin girdle I would ask the setter who will deal with this stone if he thinks this is safe.

Just my 0.2, of course.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results